Grant
(07-19-2022, 11:47 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 11:16 PM)Squid Wrote: We bought him to score goals and he scores goals. The hand wringing over him is bizarre. No, he doesn't do much when not scoring goals, but his job is primarily to score goals and that he does. If he could have a chat with J-Rod or Charlie Austin about how to take a penalty, then we'd be laughing.

One trick pony.

With our xG should have scored double.

Not fit to lace the boots of Wingie, Phillips, Taylor, Hunt, Hughes Goodman - and all those before him.

I haven't seen the stats but I'll try and find them. I would wager Grant was the only one of our strikers who outperformed his XG.
Fact is that Grant is our best goal scorer.
18 last season in a stuttering side was a good return.
If we had another striker alongside him who could have got 18 goals we would be back in the PL now.
Why knock him? When It was the others who didn't contribute.
(07-20-2022, 08:10 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 11:16 PM)Squid Wrote: We bought him to score goals and he scores goals. The hand wringing over him is bizarre. No, he doesn't do much when not scoring goals, but his job is primarily to score goals and that he does. If he could have a chat with J-Rod or Charlie Austin about how to take a penalty, then we'd be laughing.

One trick pony.

Not fit to lace the boots of Wingie, Phillips, Taylor, Hunt, Hughes Goodman - and all those before him.

I haven't seen the stats but I'll try and find them. I would wager Grant was the only one of our strikers who outperformed his XG.

18 goals from an xG of 20.4

109 shots - 44 on target, 33 blocked and 32 off target.

Decent results, his open play xG about right, will be let down by the missed pens.

Worth noting he was the only striker in the Championship top 10 scorers to under register against his xG... Piroe at Swansea for example scored almost twice as many goals as he should have!

Considering we should have scored 23 more goals according to xG than we did last season, almost 50% more than we managed, he's a long way off being an issue.
(07-20-2022, 08:26 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 08:10 AM)Sliced Wrote:

One trick pony.

18 goals from an xG of 20.4

109 shots - 44 on target, 33 blocked and 32 off target.

Decent results, his open play xG about right, will be let down by the missed pens.

Worth noting he was the only striker in the Championship top 10 scorers to under register against his xG... Piroe at Swansea for example scored almost twice as many goals as he should have!

Considering we should have scored 23 more goals according to xG than we did last season, almost 50% more than we managed, he's a long way off being an issue.

Its written in good English, but I don't understand it.

As others have said, his all round game needs improvement, and I don't think he would have held down a shirt in any of the three teams that were promoted last season because of this.
And that is the enigma of Karlan Grant in a nutshell.

Will score goals, adds very little to the team otherwise. This was well known before Bilic and Dowling spunked 16 million on him.
(07-20-2022, 09:27 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: And that is the enigma of Karlan Grant in a nutshell.

Will score goals, adds very little to the team otherwise. This was well known before Bilic and Dowling spunked 16 million on him.

Bit unfair Birdy, fee nowt to do with him. 

6 assists to add to his 18 goals too. 

Can we really expect more from a wide-man?  With Wallace and Swift and hopefully a rejuvenated Diang he should have another productive season.
I'm not blaming Grant fir his fee.

In fact, I've defended him a lot. He has genuinely tried to be more too, as said, he worked hard on his fitness levels too. He's a goalscoring wide forward, he knows it, tbf, Bruce knows it. Val knew it. Bilic and Dowling didn't.
(07-20-2022, 10:06 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I'm not blaming Grant fir his fee.

In fact, I've defended him a lot. He has genuinely tried to be more too, as said, he worked hard on his fitness levels too. He's a goalscoring wide forward, he knows it, tbf, Bruce knows it. Val knew it. Bilic and Dowling didn't.

But we seem to want creative wide forwards, delivering to goal scoring centre forwards. He is neither (not his fault). Square peg in a round hole.
Look at the others - I didn't realise Diang contribution for 42 appearances was so poor.
Diangana 2 goals + 1 assist.
Phillips 3 Goals
Hugill 1 Goal
Reach 2 Goals
Carroll 3 Goals
Mowatt 4 Goals
Grant commands respect with 18.
Grant is markedly inferior to a number of decent strikers we've had over the years. Like Earnie, he seems to know where the goal is without actually being that decent a footballer. We overpaid for sure, but at least we are getting some return from him. He should always provide a return at this level. I remain unconvinced he's anywhere near good enough for the level above but that isn't exactly a worry right now anymore.

If he weighs in with the same amount of goals next year alongside someone else doing the same, I'm more than happy. Whilst his touch and decision-making at times is frustrating, his goals certainly helped stop making last season worse. His fitness is generally good also - hopefully a bit of competition may even help him develop next term.