Why Albion
I was born in West Bromwich and started going with my dad , when I was seven in 1979. First Game was Blues away (1-1 Robson). It was in a period of draws which held up our title charge and we ended up finishing 3rd (I was at the Forest game - last of the season- when we lost to Trevor Francis, late on).

My family were Albion. My Grandad was at Wembley in '31, '35 & '54. My dad went to the finals in the '66,'67 & '68. My Great Grandfather, who was killed at Cambrai in November 1917 was an Albion man, and after WWI his brother started to take my Grandad. They all lived in and around Ballfields and Greets Green. As an aside , my nan's 3rd cousin ( on my mother's side) was Tommy Magee.

Back to me - I went to a few games in 79-80 , with my dad. We started going to a few aways. Then in 1980, my father (a toolroom machinist - milling machines mainly) lost his job in the crash post-Thatcher's election win and we didn't go to a game from May 1980 to March 1982 - League Cup Semi v Spurs. Once he was a bit flush again, we started going to most homes and a few aways in 82-83, and I never really looked back.
(06-22-2019, 10:30 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 01:07 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:47 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:34 PM)Sandking Wrote: During my formative years, I grew on the No1 shithole backwater Council Estate in West Bromwich.

I remember at the time thinking there were only two kinds of people in this world, 6 foot plus Rastafarians smoking shit all day and night, and 6 foot plus skinheads glue bagging all day and night. I lived on the 20th floor of a tower block, piss soaked lift floors, dimly lit landing corridors where one light bulb was meant to illuminate the whole landing, shitty baby nappies slung of balconies and out of high windows etc.

From my bedroom window, I could see the Hawthorns floodlights and this especially captivated and transfixed me during home night matches. Very much like the moth to a light bulb effect. Only one team for me from that moment on.

I do occasionally drive back there in a Wonder Years kinda way - it certainly grounds a kid.

Were you by the cricketer arms by any chance?

No - The Mill and The Spinney were the two suckers.

The Spinney has been transformed... 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant...gland.html

Indeed BB - Good to see. Unfortunately, The Mill is now just a pile of rubble.
I should really have mentioned the Navigation Inn in my OP which was also one of three original boozers.
(06-23-2019, 12:59 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 10:30 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 01:07 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:47 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:34 PM)Sandking Wrote: During my formative years, I grew on the No1 shithole backwater Council Estate in West Bromwich.

I remember at the time thinking there were only two kinds of people in this world, 6 foot plus Rastafarians smoking shit all day and night, and 6 foot plus skinheads glue bagging all day and night. I lived on the 20th floor of a tower block, piss soaked lift floors, dimly lit landing corridors where one light bulb was meant to illuminate the whole landing, shitty baby nappies slung of balconies and out of high windows etc.

From my bedroom window, I could see the Hawthorns floodlights and this especially captivated and transfixed me during home night matches. Very much like the moth to a light bulb effect. Only one team for me from that moment on.

I do occasionally drive back there in a Wonder Years kinda way - it certainly grounds a kid.

Were you by the cricketer arms by any chance?

No - The Mill and The Spinney were the two suckers.

The Spinney has been transformed... 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant...gland.html

Indeed BB - Good to see. Unfortunately, The Mill is now just a pile of rubble.
I should really have mentioned the Navigation Inn in my OP which was also one of three original boozers.

I've heard good things about the Spinney but not been in yet. 

Amazing how many busy pubs of old are no more. 

Such a shame with some, not so with others...
Hi Nan and Grandad lived on Halfords Lane. We used to visit every Saturday. My grandad and my uncles used to go matches. When I was about 4 they started taking me to watch the reserves. Consequently I knew the players in the reserves of the early sixties better than the first team. My school, Fir Tree Juniors, took us to the Albion v Arsenal when I was in 2nd year juniors, Year 4 to you youngsters. I seem to remember it was 0-0.
With my Grandfather Dad and uncles being West Bromwich born and breed it was a natural thing for me.
Pleased to say my two eldest sons followed the right path however the black sheep is my youngest who like his mother holds a Vile season ticket.
My dear departed dad said back to me in 1981 the year I married the wife after they flucked the league and a year later the European cup she will never let you forget .
How right he was!!
One Grandad Albion. Other Blues. Both parents (Brummies) Albion. So in the blood.
2 sons Albion. 3 of 4 nephews Albion (one black sheep follows scouse sister in laws team Everton).
Grandad lived local and worked in West Brom. Went to the famous Arsenal record attendance game. Shortly before he passed away he told me loads of his memories from the 1920s/30s era Albion which was fascinating.

My Dad was born in west Brom at home and he could see the floodlights from his house and started going in the mid fifties. Again he bangs on about Ronnie Allen, Derek Kevan, Astle, Bomber, Cunningham etc.

We moved down south when I was younger but it didn't stop us going. My first Hawthorns game was a 0-0 draw at home to Arsenal in 1982. I remember it like it was yesterday. Sat on the old wooden seats in the Rainbow stand. Pat Jennings celebrated some milestone that day IIRC? We've had some brilliant ups and downs over the years travelling all over.

He was diagnosed with Prostate cancer a couple of weeks back but seems to be taking it all in his stride. I still cherish going to the football with him now (he's only 75) and I just hope one day we see us lift a trophy together but I think it's unlikely.

I know I'm biased but it's such a great club to follow. I've travelled away on my own loads of times and always found people to have a laugh with.

COYB
Hope your dad recovers peachy great memories
(06-23-2019, 08:50 PM)Peachy Wrote: Grandad lived local and worked in West Brom. Went to the famous Arsenal record attendance game. Shortly before he passed away he told me loads of his memories from the 1920s/30s era Albion which was fascinating.

My Dad was born in west Brom at home and he could see the floodlights from his house and started going in the mid fifties. Again he bangs on about Ronnie Allen, Derek Kevan, Astle, Bomber, Cunningham etc.

We moved down south when I was younger but it didn't stop us going. My first Hawthorns game was a 0-0 draw at home to Arsenal in 1982. I remember it like it was yesterday. Sat on the old wooden seats in the Rainbow stand. Pat Jennings celebrated some milestone that day IIRC? We've had some brilliant ups and downs over the years travelling all over.

He was diagnosed with Prostate cancer a couple of weeks back but seems to be taking it all in his stride. I still cherish going to the football with him now (he's only 75) and I just hope one day we see us lift a trophy together but I think it's unlikely.

I know I'm biased but it's such a great club to follow. I've travelled away on my own loads of times and always found people to have a laugh with.

COYB

I've known a couple of people of a similar age who had the same thing Peachy. My dad had it too. At that age their metabolisms slow down which tends to slow the spread of the cancer. 

I'd imagine you've already been told this, but I think the common prognosis is that old age will get them before the cancer does. I hope that's the case for your dad and you get to share many, many more Albion memories with him.
Great thread this.

Very best wishes to Peachy's dad.