Why Albion
All my Dad's family are baggies. All my Mum's family are Baggies. I was destined to be a Baggie from the moment I was conceived.
(05-20-2019, 12:54 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:46 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:33 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:28 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:24 PM)Duffers Wrote: Another day another lie.

Cunt.

I don't disagree with you on this Duffers but this thread has the potential to be reasonably interesting so maybe its worth you and Albion deleting your posts so we can just get on with finding out why everyone follows the Albion.

+1

However bonkers Brunty/Albion is, and whatever's gone on with charity bets, this contant abuse ain't coming across very well any more. Can't understand why the mods haven't had a word. People have been banned for tons less, and i mean tons.

Final word then I’ll drop it...

This guy has lied and trolled his way through this forum for years and I’m sick of it. He gets banned then just comes back under a different name every time. If he can’t take a hint then outright hostility is the only recourse.

I maintain that refusing to pay on a bet for charity is fucking low though.

I maintain that

I agree with what you say, but calling him a cunt about a hundred times in lots and lots of threads is coming across a bit mental now.

Outright hostility really isn't the only recourse for a troll.

Duffers is bonkers.  Big Grin

(05-20-2019, 02:35 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 02:32 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote: As I said on the '51 years ago today' thread I was born the day we won the cup so maybe I was destined to be an Albion fan....

My grandparents (mum's side) moved down from Scotland to Coventry when she was very young and likewise my grandparents (dad's side) moved from the Black Country to Coventry. Was born in Coventry with the only allegiance to any side(s) being Celtic and Hamilton Accies through one of my grandads. Early memories are of school holidays (Christmas/Easter) of going to Scotland and going to Parkhead watching Celtic. I probably went to Highfield Road before The Hawthorns, can't quite remember.

Through their love (and decent playing standard) of cricket my dad met David Cross whilst he was at Coventry City and playing for Cov & North Warks cricket in the summer and they became firm friends and absolute piss heads. Once 'Crossy' moved to the Albion we (dad, brother and myself) instantly had free tickets and access all areas to the whole ground, players bar, everything. Have half a dozen old photos and 3 autograph books from the couple of season he was at the Albion. Our access at the Albion included going to pre-match meals with the whole first team at home games as we would give Crossy a lift from Coventry. The most magical footballing time of my life. 

After Cross moved on, pretty much ousted by Cyrille, I stayed an Albion fan and still went to games with my dad and brother for a further couple of years. After that waned I followed us through the normal channels back then and got my first season ticket in 85-86. Needless to say the years that followed were not what I was expecting...

Took my son to his first home game when he was 2 and first away game when he was 4, he had no choice. 

Always felt I missed out on not supporting the team where I was from especially when in my late teens and early 20s seeing all my mates going to Highfield Road together (and away) having a laugh and a few beers whilst I drove to The Hawthorns on my own. 30 odd years later I have met some amazing people and developed some fantastic friendships and wouldn't have it any other way.
Think you've shared this before, but  a great story nonetheless. Will always recall David Cross scoring that goal when the dog was causing havoc v Everton.

Jack Russell - shouldhave signed him. Was there that day and couldn't believe it when the ref allowed the goal.  Cross was a big step-up when we signed him but as soon as Cyrille emerged he had no chance.  Dirty bastard.  And the booze story doesn't surprise me as Cross looked about 50 when we signed him.
Dad's family are all Oldbury/Langley Albion and mom's are Irish/Brummie Villa. Never much interested in football as a kid (being shit at it...) but my mom got me the villa keeper shirt when I was 11 I think and dad was having none of it, took me to my first game not long after (Barnsley, we won 1-0 I think and Micky Mellon scored). That was that.
My family moved to Streetly from Derbyshire in the 50s when I was very young. So why didn't I follow Villa like everyone else, or my Dad's side Derby County? Apart from me being a contrary sort of fellow, I guess it was a combination of factors. Dad worked at Incandescent in Smethwick, just a short walk from The Hawthorns. Easy to park in the works car park and stroll up Mornington Road. Albion won the League Cup in 1966, just as World Cup fever was building for the summer, then England won it. There was an Albion lad at school - I liked his stripey shirt. And the '68 FA Cup win sealed my choice of team (if there had been any doubt by that stage). It was two bus rides to get there on my own, but I started going whenever I could from 1970. Season ticket holder in later years when I had a car.
Family all from West Brom, business’s were based in West Brom and all the family support the club. So after brief affairs as a kid with Everton and Wimbledon it was inevitable really. Still have a soft spot for Wimbledon simply due to them pissing purists off for years.
Dad god rest his soul was Albion all his life, took me first game 89 v Everton in the cup I think it was. Was hooked straight away! Got all his tales in my head, especially the FA cup final, how he went on his own at 16 and sat with the Everton fans and how they shook his hand when we won. Now I'm passing it all onto my 8 year old daughter who absolutely loves it! Smile
Dad was from Campbletown but moved to Rowley when he was 6 - Mom was born at West Brom General and from Blackheath - her dad supported the baggies, but no place for girls in those days.

My1st game was a reserve game v wolves fogged off iirc, fist proper game v stoke don't remember much except Astle and Banks both played both absolute heroes of mine.

Season ticket holders in the rainbow and followed albion home and away but mostly home games - was one of the few things me dad and I did together -don't think my two ever really get the whole 'Albion' thing but they're both baggies, and they go to some of the home games.

My enthusiasm isn't really the same as it was, but that's probably due to the modern game - I will never stop gong completely though -just choose the games.
Born in Beeches Road into an Albion family...my father and Alan Everiss (old Albion secretary)  swapped Best Man roles at each others' weddings - one of my uncles was a shareholder...moved to Stourbridge when I was four...went to most home matches as a teenager during the 60s, then family moved to Essex and other later events meant I became an armchair fan. Now living in Belfast and manage to make the occasional visit.  Strange sights - Don Howe being played as inside-left in one match...lasting memory...Derek Kevan scoring 5 goals against Everton after being down 2 0 in 1959....absolutely worst moment...losing to QPR (and Rodney Marsh) in March 1967 (2 - 0 up half-time...lost 2 - 3). Like all Albion fans, seen and experienced so many highs and lows....but then haven't all soccer fans...?
During my formative years, I grew on the No1 shithole backwater Council Estate in West Bromwich.

I remember at the time thinking there were only two kinds of people in this world, 6 foot plus Rastafarians smoking shit all day and night, and 6 foot plus skinheads glue bagging all day and night. I lived on the 20th floor of a tower block, piss soaked lift floors, dimly lit landing corridors where one light bulb was meant to illuminate the whole landing, shitty baby nappies slung of balconies and out of high windows etc.

From my bedroom window, I could see the Hawthorns floodlights and this especially captivated and transfixed me during home night matches. Very much like the moth to a light bulb effect. Only one team for me from that moment on.

I do occasionally drive back there in a Wonder Years kinda way - it certainly grounds a kid.
(05-22-2019, 12:34 PM)Sandking Wrote: During my formative years, I grew on the No1 shithole backwater Council Estate in West Bromwich.

I remember at the time thinking there were only two kinds of people in this world, 6 foot plus Rastafarians smoking shit all day and night, and 6 foot plus skinheads glue bagging all day and night. I lived on the 20th floor of a tower block, piss soaked lift floors, dimly lit landing corridors where one light bulb was meant to illuminate the whole landing, shitty baby nappies slung of balconies and out of high windows etc.

From my bedroom window, I could see the Hawthorns floodlights and this especially captivated and transfixed me during home night matches. Very much like the moth to a light bulb effect. Only one team for me from that moment on.

I do occasionally drive back there in a Wonder Years kinda way - it certainly grounds a kid.

Were you by the cricketer arms by any chance?