Oh for a Spanish liver
(06-12-2019, 03:48 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 03:44 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: The slides I saw re safe drinking we’re from some study by a bunch university’s . The talk was delivered by My consultant.  If you drink 14 units per week if you do you have significantly increased chance of  G. I. T cancers .   Just saying . We are all grown ups you can just ignore it.

Must be at near epidemic proportions in Witton then, the twatty gits.

:-)
(06-12-2019, 04:22 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 09:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Just watched last nights Panorama, with our mate Adrian Chiles, called Britain’s Drink Problem. It started out with a woman whose liver collapsed after she spent years walloping around 100 plus units down her. The rest of it focused on how we, regardless of gender, should only have 14 units per week, say Government guidelines. 
Minimum unit pricing, as in Scotland, then discussed.
Personally found this whole programme ridiculously weak as no one with any semblance of sense can believe such a low guideline. As my title has shown, the guideline in Spain is way over double ours.
Like many I just drink weekends, but have a flip top head when the time is right. Equally, being Irish background have known many who can throw the drink down. Those who have fallen in love with the demon have never done so by sticking to 15 or so pints a week.
Think the demographics of the problem drinkers should be targeted clearer rather than trying to lecture us about drinking by pretending we’re in trouble so easily when the guideline is a farce.

I've never watched the Chiles programme, but I saw a clip on the BBC News channel in the kitchen at work. He was reviewing his drinking for the day - 4 pints of Guinness, 4 more bottles of beer before dinner, then wine with dinner (amount unspecified). Obviously a slight reduction from that 20+ units day to 2 units per day is the only way forward. Go for it Adrian.

Made me feel like a lightweight.
It's a different programme. That was last year. This one was about how labelling and warnings are so crap due to an unwillingness of the drinks industry to help.
I agree that his drinking was astonishing- a proper beer monster.
(06-12-2019, 03:44 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: The slides I saw re safe drinking we’re from some study by a bunch university’s . The talk was delivered by My consultant.  If you drink 14 units per week if you do you have significantly increased chance of  G. I. T cancers .   Just saying . We are all grown ups you can just ignore it.

But to scientists a 10% increase is significant. So if the current cancer incident rate is 0.1% of the population who drink more than 14 units get cancer a 10% increase is to 0.11%.  Most reasonable people will realise that it is meaningless bollocks.

Most of these alarmist stories that appear in the press such as "50% increase in impotence in people who eat fruit" is from a study that shows a change from 0.0001% to 0.00015.  Utter bollocks.
Morley your right scientists do use ther word 'significant' if a perdantic way .
And you would be correct that in no way is drinking at these levels anything like as harmfull as smoking or over eatting the wrong foods.

The data is just that , data. a good link to the information .
make an informed choice here. ( sorry i can't do linkie things.)
https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-ex...ears-life/

According to that , it Boils down to 1.2 years less life. For me i shall carry on drinking faced with them numbers, its not like i'm holding a gun to my head. Do Alcohol concern may have an agenda? i wouldn't be suprised to find that your are right. But i guess the spectator has people that write for it that have there own agendas ( a dislike of governance is a common one). But scientists/clinical staff and Chief medical officer I don't think have an agenda other than help people live longer. Also They have obligation to inform people ( part of the job description).
Calorie intake?
A pint has about the same calories as a Mars bar.
Adding to the obesity and diabetic crisis.
Most people would agree eating 6-8 Mars bars every Friday night is gonna be bad thing to do.
The biggest man for the pints I knew was my dad’s mate Seamus. My dad said it was like pouring water in to a tank. Seen him polish 7 pints in just over an hour.
Guy stuck to the pints and didn’t over do it in the week, but still had a fair few. He was 83 when he left us.
Of course we can all tell such tales, but I knew plenty who lived long lives, but generally only social drinkers.
I drink alcohol 7 days a week but probably dont go above 25-30 in total (one beer when the kids have gone to bed) maybe 2 or 3 on a Friday and Saturday, going away with Albion those figures go off the scale though
(06-12-2019, 06:47 PM)Morley Wrote:

But to scientists a 10% increase is significant. So if the current cancer incident rate is 0.1% of the population who drink more than 14 units get cancer a 10% increase is to 0.11%.  Most reasonable people will realise that it is meaningless bollocks.

Most of these alarmist stories that appear in the press such as "50% increase in impotence in people who eat fruit" is from a study that shows a change from 0.0001% to 0.00015.  Utter bollocks.

Agree, same thing is happening with bacon at the moment.

You have a 4 in 110 chance of suffering from bowel cancer, but if you eat 2 rashers of bacon a day, every day, that risk increases by 25%, so 5/110.... given I doubt very few people eat it daily, it’s relatively meaningless, but it’s enough to be plastered on the front pages every few days!
(06-12-2019, 08:44 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: The biggest man for the pints I knew was my dad’s mate Seamus.

He must have Irish roots with a name like that. Which would mean you have Irish heritage, right?

(06-13-2019, 08:43 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Agree, same thing is happening with bacon at the moment.

You have a 4 in 110 chance of suffering from bowel cancer, but if you eat 2 rashers of bacon a day, every day, that risk increases by 25%, so 5/110.... given I doubt very few people eat it daily, it’s relatively meaningless, but it’s enough to be plastered on the front pages every few days!

True, but a big plus point with bacon and other pork products is that if you eat them you are statistically much less likely to become a suicide bomber, so swings and roundabouts.
(06-13-2019, 09:33 AM)The Real PK Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 08:44 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: The biggest man for the pints I knew was my dad’s mate Seamus.

He must have Irish roots with a name like that. Which would mean you have Irish heritage, right?

(06-13-2019, 08:43 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Agree, same thing is happening with bacon at the moment.

True, but a big plus point with bacon and other pork products is that if you eat them you are statistically much less likely to become a suicide bomber, so swings and roundabouts.

You're right there Pk, to be sure, to be sure, to be sure- not that I generally mention it! Seamus had a big mop of ginger hair in his prime, worked on the buildings and only drank Guinness. It doesn't get more stereotypical than that.