Corberan
(08-07-2023, 12:07 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 10:26 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:09 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: If you put "winning" and Pulis in the same sentence, you weren't watching the same football as me!
Pulis was about not losing.
And it was mostly dire.
Roy, on the other hand, could be defensive but at least tried to win matches. An ideal manager for our size club..

That’s not accurate we won plenty of matches under Pulis and played well, the points and league position whilst he was motivated and the team were responsive shows this.

On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.
Agree with this part. It's absolutely pointless pissing about at the back if in the end someone panics under pressure and hoofs it forward. It doesnt have to be all or nothing, mix it up!

The problem is Wallace stated in the post match interview that Corbs said the players shouldn't worry about the mistakes because playing out from the back is the way we want to go. I can't say I agree with him

Totally disagree with him.
The 3k plus travelling support were very worried about mistakes and conceding avoidable goals.
I can never understand why you would want you least able ‘footballers’ in centre of defence to become play makers and spend so much time on the ball?
Surely you need the ball with your creative midfielders and attacking players to actually win games.

I think the point of it is to draw the opposition on to you so that when the defence gets the ball through to the more attacking players they have more space to work in (rather than being tightly marked) and be a bigger threat to the opposition. Whether this works or not is a different question.
Still all quiet from CC, thought there'd be something on the OS by now.
(08-07-2023, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.

Most Championship sides seem to play a variation on this. I've yet to see a single one that didn't put themselves in severe difficulties at least once every match. 

Pulis used to love playing against teams like Swansea, or whichever Brendan Rodgers team he happened to be up against, for this very reason. He'd play a much higher press and get them into all sorts of trouble.  

You'd wait for Rodgers to change it at half time, but he never did.
(08-07-2023, 12:56 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 12:07 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 10:26 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: That’s not accurate we won plenty of matches under Pulis and played well, the points and league position whilst he was motivated and the team were responsive shows this.

On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.
Agree with this part. It's absolutely pointless pissing about at the back if in the end someone panics under pressure and hoofs it forward. It doesnt have to be all or nothing, mix it up!

The problem is Wallace stated in the post match interview that Corbs said the players shouldn't worry about the mistakes because playing out from the back is the way we want to go. I can't say I agree with him

Totally disagree with him.
The 3k plus travelling support were very worried about mistakes and conceding avoidable goals.
I can never understand why you would want you least able ‘footballers’ in centre of defence to become play makers and spend so much time on the ball?
Surely you need the ball with your creative midfielders and attacking players to actually win games.

I think the point of it is to draw the opposition on to you so that when the defence gets the ball through to the more attacking players they have more space to work in (rather than being tightly marked) and be a bigger threat to the opposition. Whether this works or not is a different question.

That is exactly it. With players movements aimed at moving the opposition around and creating passing lanes to the forwards/wide men. There was an excellent anaysis of CC's Huddersfield on a tactics site that i watched just after he arrived.
(08-07-2023, 04:54 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.

Most Championship sides seem to play a variation on this. I've yet to see a single one that didn't put themselves in severe difficulties at least once every match. 

Pulis used to love playing against teams like Swansea, or whichever Brendan Rodgers team he happened to be up against, for this very reason. He'd play a much higher press and get them into all sorts of trouble.  

TTITC didn’t fugging win many v Swansea for us

Name em. FFFust
(08-07-2023, 03:09 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: Still all quiet from CC, thought there'd be something on the OS by now.

Don't think he's allowed to say anything (even to our website) till after the stoke game
(08-07-2023, 06:38 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 03:09 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: Still all quiet from CC, thought there'd be something on the OS by now.

Don't think he's allowed to say anything (even to our website) till after the stoke game

Really? 

That's fucking ridiculous
(08-07-2023, 07:47 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 06:38 PM)TartanRug Wrote:

Really? 

That's fucking ridiculous

Pathetic new FA rule that if you're sent off you can't speak to the press. Why the fuck not? Seems harsh on the fans and media outlets. I'm sure the managers fucking love it!
Didn't realise Lai got sent off in 2018!!!
(08-07-2023, 06:18 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 04:54 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

TTITC didn’t fugging win many v Swansea for us

Name em. FFFust

3-1 at home. Rondon hat-trick of headers. 

Struggling outside of that?