Corberan
(08-07-2023, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:09 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 09:22 PM)WorcsWBA Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 11:55 AM)Atomic Wrote: Corberan is creating his own problems to a large extent.

When he took over from Bruce he had a look at what he had in the Sheff Utd game then chose a way of playing and picked the same eleven at every opportunity. He got us paying more attention to detail and we won 9 of the next 10 games. Kept things simple.

Then Phillips got injured and CC started tinkering. First it was Wallace in the ten role, Swift on the left. Then it was Wallace on the left, Albrighton on the right. Results declined.

Now he's messing about again with Molumby as the second striker in a "ten", a completely new central defence, the immobile Chalobah alongside the immobile Yokuslu and over playing from the back.

I believe the problem is, since Guardiola came to England, coaches have got it into their heads that this is the way to play football. What they fail to realise is once most start doing it, it becomes ineffective because only the best are going to succeed at it and we don't have the budget to attract players that are technically superior to other teams in this league.

Football is not about being aesthetically the best team  it's about getting results ultimately

Not sure our fans agree with that - c.f. the boos when we drew with Derby whilst top of the league and unbeaten under Val.

Indeed. There was rather a lot of booing back then and attendances began to drop noticeably, as they dod under Pulis. Most of our fans, rightly or wrongly do not believe that football is only about winning.

However, I have heard bleating about the style of football of pretty much all of our recent managers.
If you put "winning" and Pulis in the same sentence, you weren't watching the same football as me!
Pulis was about not losing.
And it was mostly dire.
Roy, on the other hand, could be defensive but at least tried to win matches. An ideal manager for our size club..

That’s not accurate we won plenty of matches under Pulis and played well, the points and league position whilst he was motivated and the team were responsive shows this.

On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.
Agree with this part. It's absolutely pointless pissing about at the back if in the end someone panics under pressure and hoofs it forward. It doesnt have to be all or nothing, mix it up!
Nowt wrong with retaining possession and playing your way up the park - if you’re good enough to do it
Someone could have been killed
(08-07-2023, 09:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 09:22 PM)WorcsWBA Wrote: Not sure our fans agree with that - c.f. the boos when we drew with Derby whilst top of the league and unbeaten under Val.

Indeed. There was rather a lot of booing back then and attendances began to drop noticeably, as they dod under Pulis. Most of our fans, rightly or wrongly do not believe that football is only about winning.

However, I have heard bleating about the style of football of pretty much all of our recent managers.
If you put "winning" and Pulis in the same sentence, you weren't watching the same football as me!
And it was mostly dire.
Roy, on the other hand, could be defensive but at least tried to win matches. An ideal manager for our size club..

That’s not accurate we won plenty of matches under Pulis and played well, the points and league position whilst he was motivated and the team were responsive shows this.

On the more specific to where we are now point, playing silly little triangles across our 18 yard box achieves F’all other than to put us under pressure and concede soft goals. Does it really create space or is it just the latest fashionable way to play? Managers seem to be like sheep with tactics these days, if Pep etc play in a certain way they all slavishly follow similarly regardless of the talent at their disposal. Play to the strengths of the players you have not to what you want them to be. If they aren’t great at passing particularly at the back then don’t hit it longer and into the channels imo the result in terms of possession/position further up field will be exactly the same.
Agree with this part. It's absolutely pointless pissing about at the back if in the end someone panics under pressure and hoofs it forward. It doesnt have to be all or nothing, mix it up!

The problem is Wallace stated in the post match interview that Corbs said the players shouldn't worry about the mistakes because playing out from the back is the way we want to go. I can't say I agree with him
(08-07-2023, 10:26 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Squid Wrote: Indeed. There was rather a lot of booing back then and attendances began to drop noticeably, as they dod under Pulis. Most of our fans, rightly or wrongly do not believe that football is only about winning.

And it was mostly dire.

The problem is Wallace stated in the post match interview that Corbs said the players shouldn't worry about the mistakes because playing out from the back is the way we want to go. I can't say I agree with him

Don't think we really have much of choice than to play out from the back, we don't have anyone to play the ball up to who is good in the air or is really good at holding the ball up
(08-07-2023, 10:28 AM)strawman Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 07:09 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: If you put "winning" and Pulis in the same sentence, you weren't watching the same football as me!
And it was mostly dire.

Don't think we really have much of choice than to play out from the back, we don't have anyone to play the ball up to who is good in the air or is really good at holding the ball up

We certainly don't have anything even vaguely resembling a target man when Dike is out. I guess they could still play direct in a counter attacking style the way Leicester did with Vardy.

I'd be reluctant to invite pressure on our back line however, as the opposition will probably just score. We're not exactly great at holding shape
That’s not accurate we won plenty of matches under Pulis and played well, the points and league position whilst he was motivated and the team were responsive shows this.

I haven't looked at any stats.. but I'm willing to bet that we drew more than we lost than we won .
But it was mostly dire.
Didn't big Dav get mis-advised into playing out from the back with almost the same useless tits we have now?? Might be good with the right players, but managers should play to what the players are capable of
(08-07-2023, 11:08 AM)NewWanker Wrote: Didn't big Dav get mis-advised into playing out from the back with almost the same useless tits we have now?? Might be good with the right players, but managers should play to what the players are capable of

This opinion, and you are far from the only one who holds it, is based on having very low expectations of our players.

If they can't grasp the basic skills of passing the ball short distances and lack the capacity to deal with opposition players pressuring them, then I suspect it doesn't matter how we play, we won't do very well.
The ghost of Graeme Jones haunts the training ground
(08-06-2023, 11:50 PM)Squid Wrote: Indeed. There was rather a lot of booing back then and attendances began to drop noticeably, as they dod under Pulis. Most of our fans, rightly or wrongly do not believe that football is only about winning.

And it was mostly dire.

Totally disagree with him.
The 3k plus travelling support were very worried about mistakes and conceding avoidable goals.
I can never understand why you would want you least able ‘footballers’ in centre of defence to become play makers and spend so much time on the ball?
Surely you need the ball with your creative midfielders and attacking players to actually win games.