What should society do
(05-22-2021, 04:17 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I'm not the best to ask.

I think anti-vaxxers as a whole should be executed, alongside all the other crazy conspiracy nutcases.

Seriously though, ban them from public spaces and using public services.

I would give them a shot - straight between the eyes.

I bet not too many turn it down in China.
(05-22-2021, 05:51 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

I think anti-vaxxers as a whole should be executed, alongside all the other crazy conspiracy nutcases.

Hardly a recommendation,  KKC!
(05-22-2021, 05:45 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'm more in agreement with B1 and BB. If people don't want the vaccine for their own reasons then we have to accept that. There are genuine concerns with what is basically a new formula and we have to understand that. FWIW, I have my 2nd one due in a fortnight, I'm not over the moon with it, I simply see no other realistic alternative.

I'm pretty much in agreement with that; on reflection I should probably have used 'inform' rather than 'educate' in my response. Then, having provided the information, you have to allow people the freedom to interpret (or ignore) it as they see fit.

Although what conduit you would use to disseminate accurate, uncorrupted, agenda-free information is another matter.

Addendum: FWIW Tom, I had my second jab about 3 weeks back and wasn't entirely comfortable, despite having had no issues with the first. I took a couple of aspirin about two hours before and thankfully had no noticeable effects.
had a really interesting chat to a head of a covid ward .( I will not say where it is.)  who is my mates daughter she told me
there are some nurses that have decided not to take the jab and that is there choice yet my friends daughter has had to do extra shifts at up to 16 hours a day to cover those nurses as they will not work on a covid ward as they say it puts themselves in danger. while the said nurses had time off with furlow . And as she said i have to  do more hours at work and less with my family to cover these people
i am so grateful we still have people like her in our nhs
(05-22-2021, 07:09 PM)keef Wrote: had a really interesting chat to a head of a covid ward .( I will not say where it is.)   who is my mates daughter she told me
there are some nurses that have decided not to take the jab and that is there choice yet my friends daughter has had to do extra shifts at up to 16 hours a day to cover those nurses as they will not work on a covid ward as they say it puts themselves in danger. while the said nurses had time off with furlow . And as she said i have to  do more hours at work and less with my family to cover these people

How the fugg were nursing staff put on furlough at the height of a pandemic, absolutely barmy. Im sure most on here will join me in saying a big thank you to your friend and her colleagues  for the almost impossible job they've job over the last 12mths or so.
(05-22-2021, 07:09 PM)keef Wrote: had a really interesting chat to a head of a covid ward .( I will not say where it is.)   who is my mates daughter she told me

We are all grateful for people like her. 

I don't believe we need to respect the decision of the those that choose not to have it but they don't need lynching either. Once again, education is key. Do they realise they could be more easily carrying the virus and unknowingly infecting other more vulnerable people and killing them? In the early days my co-director caught it and was hospitalised for 3 weeks, it was touch and go if he would survive. He told me people were dying either side of him in the ward. One of my mates brother's is a nurse and caught it. He was in bed for 3 months and described it simply as 'not having the capacity to even speak' such was the strain on his breathing. My best mate's sister in law had had covid and that was last May. Even now her sense of taste is completely gone. 

So I guess my point is, don't take the vaccine and you put others and yourself at great risk unless you have some other serious underlying health condition you are worried about.
(05-22-2021, 06:23 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 05:51 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Hardly a recommendation,  KKC!

it's a good job I'm not Prime Minister  Big Grin Big Grin
We live in a free society (for the moment) and whilst I don’t agree with them it is your right to choose.

I can’t have my second jab soon enough.

The issue I have is with those coming in from abroad haven’t had the jab and have not quarantined. Having not been able to see my Mum whilst she was in hospital last year this irritates me.

Those that breached these rules should be made to pay for any NHS care they receive for any Covid illness.

Strong views Birdman that could be considered offensive. I have relatives who are intelligent people, but very anti-vax. Their choice. 

FWIW I’ve had my first (second due July) as I can’t really resume the travel aspect of my career without doing so. But whilst I don’t necessarily agree with their views, they are their own. And they are entitled to what they would prefer or prefer not to inject themselves with.

They’re happy not being able to travel. Being executed? That’s a little fascist mate. You don’t need to explain the reasons to me why en-masse vaccination is important BTW, I’m already sold on that because (as previously mentioned) my livelihood depends on being able to travel freely.
I agree Hawkings, some extraordinary hatred is developing in society for those who don’t want the vaccine at present.

I also think anti-vaxxers is a daft phrase being thrown around, because the people I know who don’t want the covid vaccine have had many other vaccines, they’d just rather not have this one (sone not at all, some just want to wait for longer term data on it). People aren’t vegetarian if they don’t eat beef but eat other meat. The phrase has become an easy to use generalisation to attack people with. Some of the comments on here about it sound like something I’d expect from the far right. Extraordinary. I think in years to come people will embarrassed about saying these things tbh.

On the point of travel, it’s not at present making any difference for most countries, a negative test sufficing. It will hopefully stay that way, a negative test is reasonable.