Teenage Kicks
(11-13-2019, 03:02 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: The John Miles Highfly has been known to be confused with a Jigsaw one hit wonder called Sky High

https://youtu.be/mudlXF3MA8Q

I was listening to their recording of 'Who do you think you are' last night. Great track, as is 'Sky High'. Probably not the coolest comment to make, but there ya go.
Alive and Kicking.

That's how I felt at the time...
Lotus Eaters - 'The First Picture Of You'. Aged 15, teenage crushes, on the cusp of adulthood and the first inkling of a lifelong love affair with Indie music (just a few months before I first heard 'This Charming Man')

For me it would probably be Our House by Madness. Fourteen at the time. There was a lot of upheaval at home, plenty of disruption but it seemed that as a family we'd close ranks when it mattered and flick the Vs to the outside world. There was always some kind of chaos or bedlam for mom and dad to sort. At the time I didn't realise just how much strain they must have been under.

Working on opposite shifts under the seemingly constant  threat of redundancy in jobs they largely hated in 80s Smethwick. Providing for kids who for the most part couldn't stand each other, couldn't wait to get away but always came together when it mattered. Our House seems like the perfect soundtrack. They'd be so sad at the way things turned out between the rest of us once they passed away.

Madness.
Bat out of Hell, we all played that album to death when it came out, another one that evokes strong memories for me was Blinded by the light by Manfred Mann, in August 76 10 of us all close friends went camping in a farmers field in Winsford Devon for a week, we used to go camping whenever we could just to get away from Brum, one of my mates played this song constantly all week and it was during this week that I realised, I really didn't want to live in a City anymore, four years later I didn't, but I now know, that is when I decided.
(11-13-2019, 09:12 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Bat out of Hell, we all played that album to death when it came out, another one that evokes strong memories for me was Blinded by the light by Manfred Mann, in August 76 10 of us all close friends went camping in a farmers field in Winsford Devon for a week, we used to go camping whenever we could just to get away from Brum, one of my mates played this song constantly all week and it was during this week that I realised, I really didn't want to live in a City anymore, four years later I didn't, but I now know, that is when I decided.

As a composition and performance that album is an absolute masterpiece. Jim Steinman is a massively underrated genius IMO.
In the form of his life.
(11-13-2019, 09:12 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Bat out of Hell, we all played that album to death when it came out, another one that evokes strong memories for me was Blinded by the light by Manfred Mann, in August 76 10 of us all close friends went camping in a farmers field in Winsford Devon for a week, we used to go camping whenever we could just to get away from Brum, one of my mates played this song constantly all week and it was during this week that I realised, I really didn't want to live in a City anymore, four years later I didn't, but I now know, that is when I decided.

BBTL isn't on it but an album of theirs is still compulsive listening to this day for me. It's called 'Watch'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI1MqxhnmJQ
Bohemian Rhapsody and the A Night At The Opera album.
One to Another by the Charlatans. Just sums up that summer of being 16, passing my GCSEs, getting ready to go college and feeling that I've got the world at my feet after several dull years at school.
(11-13-2019, 08:49 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: For me it would probably be Our House by Madness. Fourteen at the time. There was a lot of upheaval at home, plenty of disruption but it seemed that as a family we'd close ranks when it mattered and flick the Vs to the outside world. There was always some kind of chaos or bedlam for mom and dad to sort. At the time I didn't realise just how much strain they must have been under.

Working on opposite shifts under the seemingly constant  threat of redundancy in jobs they largely hated in 80s Smethwick. Providing for kids who for the most part couldn't stand each other, couldn't wait to get away but always came together when it mattered. Our House seems like the perfect soundtrack. They'd be so sad at the way things turned out between the rest of us once they passed away.

Madness.

Our House was the first single I bought and I played it to death.

The song that became the default song for my teenage years and today was Wonderland by Big Country. 

This thread does make you feel old though!!!