Roy
(08-18-2019, 08:07 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:56 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:35 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Losing Roy to England was one of the biggest losses for us in quite a while. We were lucky his stock was low after being hounded out of Liverpool. A genuine and talented man who also gave us 1-5

Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.
The main point of our several hours discussion was RH's lack of flexibility, his poor and belated use of substitutes and reliance on the same players despite poor performance. The general view was he was too stuck in his ways for the squad at that time.

Of course it worked out for us and we put a lot of this to one side as we stayed up and improved under Dashworths model.

The 'revisionism' is not on my part but those that now choose to use rose tinted spectacles on the career of a genuinely nice man, but someone who has achieved no better than consistent mediocrity.
Ok mon. You and the tinternet illuminati know the truth. Personally I'll remember great days under his tenure and think about the general titsupness here since he left.
Patronising Bullshit. 
I am no 'illuminati' and would never claim to know better. 
What I can do though is express my own opinion and remember things a little better than you it seems.
I could become a DH type bore for example and ask you to recount those great days under Roy and then compare them to equally great days under other manager/coaches we have had since.
That is revisionism writ large right there.

I bow to your superior memory. Enjoy your memories of halcyon days of Irvine, Mel, Pulis and Pardew et al.
Cheers BJ - as I will leave you to our 'great days' under RH.
(08-18-2019, 08:08 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: To be fair I understand what swagbaggie is getting at. The game before the 5-1 was Swansea at home which we lost to add another defeat to our poor home record at the time and there were also complaints about the style of football on offer. I remember going on an Albion message board at the time where there were quite a few who said he should leave when his contract runs out. It wasn't until the 5-1 and I think a 4-0 win against Sunderland 4-0 the week later that made the negativity disappear for the rest of the season.

Yes and those same posters were typing nonsense then and if they still hold that view now, are still typing nonsense.

(08-18-2019, 08:10 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 08:08 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: To be fair I understand what swagbaggie is getting at. The game before the 5-1 was Swansea at home which we lost to add another defeat to our poor home record at the time and there were also complaints about the style of football on offer. I remember going on an Albion message board at the time where there were quite a few who said he should leave when his contract runs out. It wasn't until the 5-1 and I think a 4-0 win against Sunderland 4-0 the week later that made the negativity disappear for the rest of the season.

I think that speaks more about message boards than managers

+100000000000
(08-18-2019, 08:11 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:35 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.
The main point of our several hours discussion was RH's lack of flexibility, his poor and belated use of substitutes and reliance on the same players despite poor performance. The general view was he was too stuck in his ways for the squad at that time.

Of course it worked out for us and we put a lot of this to one side as we stayed up and improved under Dashworths model.

The 'revisionism' is not on my part but those that now choose to use rose tinted spectacles on the career of a genuinely nice man, but someone who has achieved no better than consistent mediocrity.
Ok mon. You and the tinternet illuminati know the truth. Personally I'll remember great days under his tenure and think about the general titsupness here since he left.
Patronising Bullshit. 
What I can do though is express my own opinion and remember things a little better than you it seems.
I could become a DH type bore for example and ask you to recount those great days under Roy and then compare them to equally great days under other manager/coaches we have had since.

I bow to your superior memory. Enjoy your memories of halcyon days of Irvine, Mel, Pulis and Pardew et al.
Jolly decent of you old chap. Bon nuit.
To be fair you can't put Pulis in with Pardew, Mel and Irvine. No matter how shite the football was at times.
(08-18-2019, 08:13 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Ok mon. You and the tinternet illuminati know the truth. Personally I'll remember great days under his tenure and think about the general titsupness here since he left.
Patronising Bullshit. 

Patronising is obviously your default.
Try harder because it is weak.
Kalynichta.
(08-18-2019, 08:15 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: To be fair you can't put Pulis in with Pardew, Mel and Irvine. No matter how shite the football was at times.

Apologies mon. It was a rush of blood thing to do. To be fair we did bloody a few noses under our Tone.

(08-18-2019, 08:18 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:56 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: Patronising Bullshit. 

Kalynichta.

Patronising, moi ? Never heard that before mon.
(08-18-2019, 07:56 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: Patronising Bullshit. 

Kalynichta.

Ducking the question name a better manager we could attract at the time?
I see a lot of old 'famous posters' on twitter. I wouldn't take what they say as gospel that's for sure. Most of them live the tippy tappy project and philosophy types.
(08-18-2019, 08:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 08:07 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: I bow to your superior memory. Enjoy your memories of halcyon days of Irvine, Mel, Pulis and Pardew et al.
Kalynichta.

Ducking the question name a better manager we could attract at the time?

Did you really read what I said DH or were you too interested in playing the man as opposed to the ball? 
You will see that I was asked by BM about RH leaving.
Not when he arrived where he did a job for us and was a solid choice, of course, at that time, and a gentleman and an ambassador etc etc. 
But was it time for us to move on after that was achieved. There were Great results and stability but no 'Great days' in terms of long standing achievement. We should have used our status at that time to do better once this was established. 
We had a talented squad and were under performing under RH. As someone as equally mediocre as Clarke subsequently proved. 
I didn't wish him badly but he was holding out team back IMO. I on but I knew it was a double edged sword as his tenure as England boss proved.
Having read back through the posts I also see along with your edit, another edit by BJ saying I thought moving on to England was mediocrity. Where?
You two are well suited.
Make it up or change it as you go along to suit your argument.
Are you guys mates with Camp Freddy? 
He had a history for revising posts to make his arguments look better to his chums.
He was far better than you but, like you, still very very poor.
(08-18-2019, 07:35 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Losing Roy to England was one of the biggest losses for us in quite a while. We were lucky his stock was low after being hounded out of Liverpool. A genuine and talented man who also gave us 1-5

Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.

Big Grin Big Grin  Fucking hell......