Roy
(08-18-2019, 04:48 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Roy has had a great and illustrious career at 72 I think it's time he started taking it easy and
put his feet up. He has nothing to prove.

That is not his way. 
The reason he went abroad to coach was to stick it too the people that didn't rate him.
The reason why he came back to have another go after Blackburn.
The reason why we got him after Liverpool.
The reason why he went to Palace after being hammered at England.
It is his intransigence that defines him.
It is the reason why I was glad he left us but knew that England (my other love) would suffer.
Yes he does need to pack in as he has won very little, but he won't listen - he never did.
How was anyone glad he left us?
(08-18-2019, 06:26 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: How was anyone glad he left us?

I would imagine, if they were like me, they would have hoped for better. We had a very talented squad at that time and went on to be 8th under Clarke of all people.
Roy was steady and of course that was good times for us as a team, but that is all. It is all very good for people like you to use hindsight but the truth is he ONLY stabilised us and no more.
I really respect Roy btw and defend him regularly amongst mates when discussing football but we shouldn't portray him as something he wasn't.
Edit- The biggest loss to our club was Dashworth who went the following season as a result of RH going.
(08-18-2019, 05:21 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 04:48 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Roy has had a great and illustrious career at 72 I think it's time he started taking it easy and
put his feet up. He has nothing to prove.

That is not his way. 
The reason he went abroad to coach was to stick it too the people that didn't rate him.
The reason why he came back to have another go after Blackburn.
The reason why we got him after Liverpool.
The reason why he went to Palace after being hammered at England.
It is his intransigence that defines him.
It is the reason why I was glad he left us but knew that England (my other love) would suffer.
Yes he does need to pack in as he has won very little, but he won't listen - he never did.

You were glad he left us? I agree he did a terrible job for us, makes you wonder why anyone bothered to go to matches!?!
(08-18-2019, 06:33 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:

I would imagine, if they were like me, they would have hoped for better. We had a very talented squad at that time and went on to be 8th under Clarke of all people.
Roy was steady and of course that was good times for us as a team, but that is all. It is all very good for people like you to use hindsight but the truth is he ONLY stabilised us and no more.
I really respect Roy btw and defend him regularly amongst mates when discussing football but we shouldn't portray him as something he wasn't.
Edit- The biggest loss to our club was Dashworth who went the following season as a result of RH going.

Nonsense he was the reason we stayed up and consolidated. Rewriting history at its very best!
Without Roy we wouldn't have been in the prem for Ashworth to get Clarke in to oversee, what was sadly, the apex of that project.

Roy was probably the best appointment this club has made since Megson when you see the lasting influence it had.
When Dan Ashworth left his job here was done. He created the manual to run the club then went to do a similar job with England. He finished there and moved on to Brighton iirc. He'll do what needs doing there and move on to pastures new. We were the clever ones that utilised his abilities and talents early on. He writes the Haynes manuals, he isn't a mechanic.
Roy did a great job, kept us up when it looked like we were going down and established us.

My only complain was his refusal for a while to move away from his trusty 4-4-2.
(08-18-2019, 06:33 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:

Possibly the worst take ever on what happened. Genuinely no pleasing you if you believe this tripe.
Losing Roy to England was one of the biggest losses for us in quite a while. We were lucky his stock was low after being hounded out of Liverpool. A genuine and talented man who also gave us 1-5