The Return of Brexit
(12-20-2020, 11:33 AM)The liquidator Wrote: As long as you ain't in the que don't worry about it.

They ain't going anywhere. France won't let anyone in from here, due to new covid.
(12-20-2020, 12:24 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 11:33 AM)The liquidator Wrote: As long as you ain't in the que don't worry about it.

They ain't going anywhere. France won't let anyone in from here, due to new covid.

Perhaps this will see a resurgence in rail freight; a couple of train crew incoming compared with hundreds of truck drivers. Those Class 92s can pull colossal loads and there should be plenty of paths available with the reductions in passenger services and the Eurostars running on a separate line.

I would hope somebody is studying the possibilities.
(12-20-2020, 12:42 PM)Ossian Wrote:

Perhaps this will see a resurgence in rail freight; a couple of train crew incoming compared with hundreds of truck drivers. Those Class 92s can pull colossal loads and there should be plenty of paths available with the reductions in passenger services and the Eurostars running on a separate line.

UK rail freight network is at capacity, unless the government are planning to pay billions in upgrading the train line from Southampton to the Midlands and North then rail freight can't take up any of the slack.
(12-20-2020, 05:07 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 02:46 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 12:42 PM)Ossian Wrote:

UK rail freight network is at capacity, unless the government are planning to pay billions in upgrading the train line from Southampton to the Midlands and North then rail freight can't take up any of the slack.

I was thinking more in terms of getting freight far enough into the UK to bypass the bottlenecks in Kent, BB. Just as far as marshalling yards (if we still have them) for sorting and onward movement.

I think Hither Green is still operational, but not sure about any of the others. I do know that plenty have fallen into disuse over the years.

Loads of regional rail freight yards and the lines serving them have been closed post-war. To increase freight capacity you'd need to cripple passenger services where bottlenecks occur, which involves crippling Coventry and Birmingham New Street which aren't exactly in position to be crippled for passenger services.

This should have been a priority the day after the referendum but instead the upgrades to freight lines were pushed back. Then again, a lot of things that should have been a priority (like upgrading road capacity near Dover, building facilities for lorry parking, fixing Felixstowe, expanding capacity at regional ports and having a functional customs system) have been done last minute because we're led by a bunch of donkeys who hell bent on being morons.
One of the things that's bedevilled us post-war is the attitude of equating spare capacity with waste, as opposed to insurance.
(12-20-2020, 06:05 PM)Ossian Wrote: One of the things that's bedevilled us post-war is the attitude of equating spare capacity with waste, as opposed to insurance.

Well, they don't see the economic benefit. Everything he "just in time" abd you dont tie up dead money in stock and resources.

It works fine, until a disaster occurs and then you are royally fucked.
(12-20-2020, 10:05 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 06:05 PM)Ossian Wrote: One of the things that's bedevilled us post-war is the attitude of equating spare capacity with waste, as opposed to insurance.

Well, they don't see the economic benefit. Everything he "just in time" abd you dont tie up dead money in stock and resources.

It works fine, until a disaster occurs and then you are royally fucked.

Just in time is about maximising productivity by reducing delays and optimising lead times, not about capacity.

Lack of slack in the system is a completely unrelated problem.
(12-13-2020, 10:07 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Let me be clear, I would prefer a 'thin' trade deal and I still think we'll get one.

"Thin" deal here we come.

They're already rolling out relics like Dominic Grieve to criticise an agreement he hasn't read Rolleyes