UK Covid death toll
(10-09-2020, 09:02 AM)PeakBaggie Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:56 PM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:31 PM)PeakBaggie Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 01:50 PM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 01:02 PM)PeakBaggie Wrote: The truth is that you can torture stats until you reach the facts that best suit your agenda or viewpoint, this
is happening all over social media and beyond. It has almost become an obsession for some.

The real truth is that the virus spreads person to person and in the worst cases can and will kill, in other cases
it will hardly cause a sniffle. This call for herd immunity is really a call to let the virus rip, roll the dice and hope that
you, your loved ones and friends can weather the spread. It is a huge risk
. Have we really got to the point where 
we dont care about the most vunerable in our society, that pints down the pub are worth putting those on the medical 
front line at risk along with our older family members?

What happened to the kindness and love of a few months ago?

It's not a roll of the dice. Do you roll the dice when you get in a car? It's less of a risk than doing that.

Billy - First all of all not everyone drives or wants to drive, but everyone has the need to take in Oxygen.

Of course you roll the dice everytime you drive off in a car, but you can mitigate your risk by any number
of measures, speed, awareness and careful driving and of course if you give up driving completly your 
risk will be zero. Giving up breathing is not much of an option for the living.

So you think we should all go into our homes and breathe our own oxygen and to hell with the outcome?

eh ... I think comparing the risk of driving to that of a vrius is a tad bonkers

Fair enough that's your view.

The point being if you were to go back to normal life with Covid still around you're chances of death are higher because you cross roads on foot and get in a car. May well be cold hard actuarial data but it's directly comparable at that level.

You may well choose to lock yourself away at home - but be aware 5000-7000 people die of accidental death in their home in the UK each year - so maybe you're not safe.

But I'm not sure how your view of consigning everyone to their home is actually more beneficial to individuals and society in the long term. Perhaps you can elucidate.
(10-09-2020, 09:02 AM)PeakBaggie Wrote: eh ... I think comparing the risk of driving to that of a vrius is a tad bonkers

+1
Another Friday and another increase in numbers; 3,044 now in hospital in England compared to 1,995 a week ago and 368 of those on ventilators compared with 285 this time last week so basically 1.5 times increase in a week of those in hospital which was the same for the week before (23rd - 1,381) and the week before that (16th - 894). If we continue like that then we will have issues. On the same curve of the last 4 weeks that gives us 4.5k next week, 6.75k the week after and 10k by the end of the month.

This is where I don't envy any decision makers. The increases from what I read is in the University cities which gives a good indication where the problem lies. I can see the logic in closing pubs but wholesale seems a bit of a blanket approach. and as for closing restaurants as well - that doesn't make much sense, however the places I will visit are well looked after and apply the rules strictly, I imagine there are a number that don't follow that rule always.

We really have managed to fuck this up royally with have a test and trace system that is next to useless. Locking down late in the 1st place was an error that we can argue about til the cows come home but once that happened, to not have a recovery plan to install a tacking system is criminal.

Time to be careful folks - I know it's the last thing we need but it looks like we are going to have to go out less and minimise the life we wanted again.
(10-09-2020, 02:54 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Another Friday and another increase in numbers; 3,044 now in hospital in England compared to 1,995 a week ago and 368 of those on ventilators compared with 285 this time last week so basically 1.5 times increase in a week of those in hospital which was the same for the week before (23rd - 1,381) and the week before that (16th - 894). If we continue like that then we will have issues. On the same curve of the last 4 weeks that gives us 4.5k next week, 6.75k the week after and 10k by the end of the month.

This is where I don't envy any decision makers. The increases from what I read is in the University cities which gives a good indication where the problem lies. I can see the logic in closing pubs but wholesale seems a bit of a blanket approach. and as for closing restaurants as well - that doesn't make much sense, however the places I will visit are well looked after and apply the rules strictly, I imagine there are a number that don't follow that rule always.

We really have managed to fuck this up royally with have a test and trace system that is next to useless. Locking down late in the 1st place was an error that we can argue about til the cows come home but once that happened, to not have a recovery plan to install a tacking system is criminal.

Time to be careful folks - I know it's the last thing we need but it looks like we are going to have to go out less and minimise the life we wanted again.
Mr personal experience with track and trace has been second to non. My brother was notified he'd had contact with someone who'd tested positive on Sunday evening (04/10/2020) he had a test on the Monday (05/10/2020) and told he'd tested positive on 06/10/2020. I was contacted by track and trace on Tuesday @ 17.00 and told to self isolate until 17/10/2020 23.59 due to me having contact with me brother.
Had a phone call yesterday to see if I'm self isolating and to check I'm coping, do I need help with shopping etc. The app now has a red circle with 8 days to go on it.

Can't fault it, if I'm being honest.
Why haven't you had to have a test?
I’m guessing that Rick wasn’t showing symptoms BB and the point I was trying to make was that we are in October, track and trace might be working now in places but we are 6 months and more into a pandemic. This shouldn’t have taken so long and it’s criminal that it has and cost so much.
(10-10-2020, 10:11 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I’m guessing that Rick wasn’t showing symptoms BB and the point I was trying to make was that we are in October, track and trace might be working now in places but we are 6 months and more into a pandemic. This shouldn’t have taken so long and it’s criminal that it has and cost so much.

You're correct, I'm not showing any symptoms.
(10-10-2020, 10:37 AM)Baggie Rick Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 10:11 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I’m guessing that Rick wasn’t showing symptoms BB and the point I was trying to make was that we are in October, track and trace might be working now in places but we are 6 months and more into a pandemic. This shouldn’t have taken so long and it’s criminal that it has and cost so much.

You're correct, I'm not showing any symptoms.

I'm also correct about the criminality of it all. A patchy track and trace system that cost £12m when we could have bought one of the shelf for £1m
I notice that PHE are from now potentially combining flu and covid data.

"This will be the last COVID-19 surveillance report, as of 8 October 2020, the information in this report will be
published in a combined Weekly flu and COVID-19 Surveillance Report on GOV.UK"

Baggy1 let's hope they don't start conflating the 2 for your very useful summaries .
(10-10-2020, 11:33 AM)billybassett Wrote: I notice that PHE are from now potentially combining flu and covid data.

"This will be the last COVID-19 surveillance report, as of 8 October 2020, the information in this report will be
published in a combined Weekly flu and COVID-19 Surveillance Report on GOV.UK"

Baggy1 let's hope they don't start conflating the 2 for your very useful summaries .

The data between Flu and Covid 19 currently is clear from the ONS. What is obvious is one is far deadlier and contagious than the other.