oh ye of little faith
(01-29-2020, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think it’s fair enough after blowing a 12pt lead to be a little perturbed at the run we are on, particularly when Bilic’s West Ham had a similar disastrous run that ultimately led to his dismissal.

I can’t think of any justifiable reasons why we should not go up this season other than poor management. It would be easy to blame injuries but our squad is far better than most and imo it’s a cop out as is the idea this is a two year project.

Sadly results and performances of late suggest that actually our squad is on par with about 6 others in the division and maybe only better than about 10 others. Maybe our early season assessments were more accurate than our impressive pre-Xmas form suggested? For me we've maybe had 10 games this season where we looked the real deal, on reflection I'd then say there were 7 / 8 games that were even and could have gone the other way, maybe 5 where we deserved it on bottle...and then the losses. Give or take a few games in each section.
(01-29-2020, 09:58 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Yes, but had we had a couple of shots blazed over the bar last night that had gone in instead, then all assessments would be null and void!! Smile

We had only 2 shots on goal of note. The pen and the wondersave from Zohore.

I'd have taken any win last night with any performance. The analysis would still have been the same but 3pts and some confidence in the tank. But how many times does a ball have to come into the box and not get defended properly and how many times do we gift possession away in front of our box.

Cardiff - long throw bouncing in our 6 yard box, fking about at the back
Stoke - a gift from Hegazi and Johnstone's chocolate wrists
Charlton - ball into the 6 yard box - headed in, ball into the area headed in, Johnstone's chocolate wrists again
Leeds - ball into the box headed in - unlucky deflection
Middlesboro - corner into 6 yd box - Johnstone nowhere near, 2nd worldy but Johnstone caught napping off his line
Barnsley - ball into 6yd box no marking
Brentford - ball into box headed in
Birmngham - ball into 6yd box headed in, corner into 6yd box headed in - Johnstone flapping
Wigan - long range shot off post and Johnstone

You don't have to be a genius to work out the problem. As soon as a ball comes into our 6yd box from height we concede. Only 1 attempt at a punch from Johnson which he royally screwed up v Boro. Otherwise it's a free for all.
(01-29-2020, 10:13 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think it’s fair enough after blowing a 12pt lead to be a little perturbed at the run we are on, particularly when Bilic’s West Ham had a similar disastrous run that ultimately led to his dismissal.

I can’t think of any justifiable reasons why we should not go up this season other than poor management. It would be easy to blame injuries but our squad is far better than most and imo it’s a cop out as is the idea this is a two year project.

Sadly results and performances of late suggest that actually our squad is on par with about 6 others in the division and maybe only better than about 10 others. Maybe our early season assessments were more accurate than our impressive pre-Xmas form suggested? For me we've maybe had 10 games this season where we looked the real deal, on reflection I'd then say there were 7 / 8 games that were even and could have gone the other way, maybe 5 where we deserved it on bottle...and then the losses. Give or take a few games in each section.

This argument takes us down the path that the manager has little or no impact on league position. If this squad is only on a par with six others then I’d question wtf we have been doing in our recruitment and management departments  given the parachute payments we have received. I don’t believe we have bought poorly or have a squad on a par with six others. I think we are simply underperforming currently and probably over performing previously. There won’t be more advantageous circumstances to go up than we have this season.
(01-29-2020, 10:22 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:13 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think it’s fair enough after blowing a 12pt lead to be a little perturbed at the run we are on, particularly when Bilic’s West Ham had a similar disastrous run that ultimately led to his dismissal.

This argument takes us down the path that the manager has little or no impact on league position. If this squad is only on a par with six others then I’d question wtf we have been doing in our recruitment and management departments  given the parachute payments we have received. I don’t believe we have bought poorly or have a squad on a par with six others. I think we are simply underperforming currently and probably over performing previously. There won’t be more advantageous circumstances to go up than we have this season.

I'd largely agree that we are underperforming, and massively so, however if you take the cost of the players into account and our points so far compared to them, then we're not so far ahead of 6 others to really justify saying we're better.

Also, TBF, when 3 sides come down from the Prem, you have to kind of put them ahead of all the other current Champ teams, purely based on financial clout (or expected clout, which over the last 2 seasons doesn't seem to be the same anymore). So that alone would suggest we're 4th, so yep I think we have a similar squad to 6 others. However I would add that I see it as the top 6 and not the bottom 6 who we seem to want to emulate of late! I also wouldn't think having a squad comparable to 6 others is bad recruitment etc...

I think we just never got anyone decent in up front, and over the course of the season it is showing, as our midfielders have nothing magical up front to aim for currently, so they pit pat it about, hoping that someone would make the Pereira / Diang type run... That along with the other teams realising that if they stop Pereira they stop us.
I thought we did enough last night to win but in nearly every game this season we have conceded. Though there have been games where he has earned us points, I'm beginning to come round to billybasset's view that, regrettably, Sam needs dropping.
(01-29-2020, 11:36 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I thought we did enough last night to win but in nearly every game this season we have conceded. Though there have been games where he has earned us points, I'm beginning to come round to billybasset's view that, regrettably, Sam needs dropping.

No doubt I may be wrong - I mean I once thought Paul Mardon was "a player". If we don't drop him how do we know. Bond has has 2 clean sheets from 3 but the goal conceded against Millwall was a regulation ball into the 6yd box and a header in (again)...

A goalkeeper makes saves yes - but also provides confidence and comms to the whole defence. Foster did this - and yes made a few gaffes but overall was a positive impact. Johnstone is just not commanding or communicative. Comes for nothing so every ball has to be won by the defence - and that's just not possible.

Last night and Charlton were just 2 instances of him not commanding the box and costing us points. Just a modicum of bravery and thought and we get 6pts not 1.

There are a couple of West Ham supporters who post on the Oatcake on occasions. Their description of Bilic towards the end of his time there was an identikit of Hughes at Stoke once the rot set in. Unable to halt the decline and a defence which became more disorganised with each match. 

I'm pressing the Hughes button here Derek. THE HUGHES BUTTON!!!  Big Grin
(01-29-2020, 11:54 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 11:36 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I thought we did enough last night to win but in nearly every game this season we have conceded. Though there have been games where he has earned us points, I'm beginning to come round to billybasset's view that, regrettably, Sam needs dropping.

No doubt I may be wrong - I mean I once thought Paul Mardon was "a player". If we don't drop him how do we know. Bond has has 2 clean sheets from 3 but the goal conceded against Millwall was a regulation ball into the 6yd box and a header in (again)...

A goalkeeper makes saves yes - but also provides confidence and comms to the whole defence. Foster did this - and yes made a few gaffes but overall was a positive impact. Johnstone is just not commanding or communicative. Comes for nothing so every ball has to be won by the defence - and that's just not possible.

Last night and Charlton were just 2 instances of him not commanding the box and costing us points. Just a modicum of bravery and thought and we get 6pts not 1.

Sadly I said that the first time I saw SJ between the sticks. He just feels small in goal, I honestly didn't even think he was 6', he's over 6'2" in reality, but he feels small. He has no presence, and that is as important for a keeper as being able to make saves.
(01-29-2020, 12:00 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 11:54 AM)billybassett Wrote:

Sadly I said that the first time I saw SJ between the sticks. He just feels small in goal, I honestly didn't even think he was 6', he's over 6'2" in reality, but he feels small. He has no presence, and that is as important for a keeper as being able to make saves.

I've seen Johnstone make some excellent saves, but he has been nowhere near top form of late and I have definitely seen better goalkeepers at ours.
Jonathan Bond is powder puff in the air. That's the reason the best shot stopper of his age group is on the bench in the championship.

He was brilliant at Brighton last season but flapped at Knockaert's crosses more than once and got away with it. In the replay he let the equaliser through him, for which SJ would have been slaughtered. He came for one cross at Charlton - he dropped it. He was no more commanding v Millwall as has been said.

Johnstone's form and confidence levels have not been as good over the last 2 months after an excellent start.

We have a choice. We can either accept that he's absolutely no different in that respect to the rest of the team, or microscopically analyse every goal and see how we can pin it on him to satisfy our desire to have one spacegoat for our woes of the day and that "fucking Villa prick" is the man.

Back to the opening post... we weren't as good three months ago as some thought. Equally, we are not as bad now as some make out. Confidence is a fickle mistress and we are low on that as a team. In any walk of life, lack of confidence inhibits our ability to express ourselves and take risks. Footballers aren't exempt. Obviously, publicly slaughtering every player and the manager will help that no end. The same players that were a joy to watch should now be chased out of town. I've heard it said on different forums about every last one of them, including the manager.

Now is the time for cool heads and keeping our nerve... on the pitch, in the dugout, in the boardroom, and in the stands.

Things turn quickly in football. We are looking over our shoulders at Forest. Yes, the same Nottingham Forest who were dicked 4-0 by Wednesday with thousands walking along the Trent at half time. The same Wednesday trounced 5-1 by Blackburn a couple of weeks later.

This is the Championship. It's a streaky league, always has been and always will. Enjoy the ride. One thing is for certain, as a group of supporters we are right back in our comfort zone. No one does glass half empty like us and we don't cope when it's all going too well. Maybe it's a self fulfilling prophecy?