Can anyone explain
(10-04-2019, 07:06 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: No, it's bizarre. Actual cricket fans like 1st class cricket and 20/20 is there for the filthy casuals. What the 100 brings to the table I don't know? Even more opportunity for slogging than 20/20 so maybe more 6s? Don't see how it brings anything different to 20/20 to the game myself, other than as a moneyspinner for Test country grounds.

Also, I and many other Worcs fans, will not be supporting a team that plays at Edgbaston with 'Birmingham' in the name so the Birmingham Phoenix can do one.

We wouldnt want you plus there won't be anywhere for you to park your oss and cart
(10-04-2019, 07:06 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: No, it's bizarre. Actual cricket fans like 1st class cricket 

That's why they get attendances of about 150?
"Total attendance figures for the first-class County Championship in 2018 were around 600,000. Despite the stereotypical image of a Championship crowd comprising one man and his dog, these numbers are similar to what they were 30 years ago. They have risen significantly from a low point of less than 500,000 around the turn of the century. "

Short format cricket is much easier to attend being obviously all done on the same day and generally at a weekend, thus more likely to attract casual fans. It's just not as good a sport.
County championship attendances are only just below rugby union club attendances despite that game being much more digestible.

It's the ECB that want to promote short format over 1st class, not the fans.
(10-04-2019, 01:28 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: "Total attendance figures for the first-class County Championship in 2018 were around 600,000. Despite the stereotypical image of a Championship crowd comprising one man and his dog, these numbers are similar to what they were 30 years ago. They have risen significantly from a low point of less than 500,000 around the turn of the century. "

Short format cricket is much easier to attend being obviously all done on the same day and generally at a weekend, thus more likely to attract casual fans. It's just not as good a sport.
County championship attendances are only just below rugby union club attendances despite that game being much more digestible.

Those numbers genuinely shock me. Went to a Warwickshire home match about 10 years ago and there was no fucker there, bar a few of the members.
How many balls per over? 4, 5 or 10?
I haven't paid much attention, because frankly it sounds like a crock of shit, but I think the intention was fifteen six-ball overs and one ten-ball over to finish.
Seems to me that we want to invent something different because 20/20 wasn't our idea. I can't imagine the game needs another format. Like the old days when one day cricket could be 40, 55 or 60 overs depending on the competition.

If we need to have a competition with a limited number of regional franchises, then it should be playing 20/20 format like the rest of the world. But if this kind of competition finally breaks the old 18 counties structure of English cricket, then it will lead to a sharp decline in our Test playing capability. If you don't think that matters, you aren't really a cricket fan IMO.
To be fair to the players, the majority of them, when interviewed, seem to still regard test cricket as the pinnacle, but the view doesn't seem to be shared by the administrators. Personally I love the fact that it can be a slow, strategic, patient spectacle; downright attritional at times. That's the game and how it's intended to be played; if we mess with it too much we will just end up developing a new game - albeit one still played with cricket equipment - and consigning the original one to the dustbin.

The way the county championship season has been relegated to a couple of bookends for one-day and T20 competitions is the exact opposite of how it should be. One day and short-form stuff should be arranged to accommodate the CC, not the other way around.

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are just the sour-faced grumblings of one cantankerous old fart and should be judged in that context.
(10-04-2019, 01:28 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: "Total attendance figures for the first-class County Championship in 2018 were around 600,000. Despite the stereotypical image of a Championship crowd comprising one man and his dog, these numbers are similar to what they were 30 years ago. They have risen significantly from a low point of less than 500,000 around the turn of the century. "

Spot on, far more people watch first class cricket than the media let on. Also, it’s played at the worst times of the year and midweek. T20 has taken the 50 over crowds. And first class stuff is followed and respected more by cricket fans and players. This follows through to international cricket. The barmy army attend test series, not the T20 anywhere near as much. Tours are judged and remembered mainly on the test series. The ecb just like the quick buck of a load of non cricket fans attending a three hour whack. This hundred comp is a step way too far. It’s short term money making from people who will move onto the next fad and won’t be interested in the game long term. It’s all about a quick buck.