The best player who was as good as a manager
(09-27-2019, 03:32 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Seeing the thread about the hope that Brunt may be an Albion boss of the future got me thinking the best player we have seen who was top drawer as a manager.
For me, I can't think beyond Johnny Giles and the fact he combined both at the same time makes me think this.
He was clearly one of the finest players of his generation, he'd be worth £50m today in his prime, and even at 35 he was a superstar for us and got us from a mediocre second tier team to 7th in the first division.
I think if he'd stayed we would have been even better than we were under Big Ron. After all, he signed Cunningham.
Only Batson of the 79 team was signed by Big Ron. 
Bryan Robson is probably the only other superstar player we have had who did both jobs for us. Brilliant player, but a bit meh as a manager- despite the Great Escape being something we'll never forget.

Giles was terrible in his 2nd coming after he had hung up his boots. A major factor in us being relegated in 1986. Selling Regis and Thompson (when neither wanted to leave or had to be sold) 2 of the worst decisions any Albion manager has made (along with our worst ever manager Saunders selling Bull for next to nothing).
Zidane won three consecutive Champions Leagues.
(09-27-2019, 08:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Zidane won three consecutive Champions Leagues.

Zidane appears to be an absolute master of keeping wonderfully talented players/Ronaldo motivated in cup games.

He’s been shown up since losing the best player in the world to Juve.
Brian Clough

Played 274 games. Scored an amazing 251 goals.

+ One of the greatest managers of all time.
(09-27-2019, 08:20 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 08:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Zidane won three consecutive Champions Leagues.

Zidane appears to be an absolute master of keeping wonderfully talented players/Ronaldo motivated in cup games.

He’s been shown up since losing the best player in the world to Juve.

Real Madrid had possibly the best XI in Europe when they won their European Cups under Zidane, who ultimately commanded respect from all those elite players simply because he was probably the best player of his generation.

It's early days in La Liga, but Real Madrid are top currently so he isn't doing as bad without Ronaldo as you'd think.
(09-27-2019, 04:20 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Away from the Brom I’d say Cruyff. Sublime player and is credited with starting the whole Barcelona ethos we see today.......

....... and let's not forget the influence a certain former Albion boss had on Ajax, the formative years of Cruyff and also on Barcelona. Step forward Vic Buckingham Cool  .
(09-27-2019, 10:19 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 04:20 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Away from the Brom I’d say Cruyff. Sublime player and is credited with starting the whole Barcelona ethos we see today.......

....... and let's not forget the influence a certain former Albion boss had on Ajax, the formative years of Cruyff and also on Barcelona. Step forward Vic Buckingham Cool  .
Now that's proper historical perspective!
And correct too.