The Reading Goal
(08-22-2019, 08:57 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Like I say viewing angles and no replays can really affect how things are seen.

Cheers all.

Judging by your match comments on other articles, your viewing angle from the Smethwick End toilet really hampered your view of the game.
You lot think Johnstone is crap well watch England’s No 3 Jack Butland he is utter crap letting goals in for fun looks like Jake from last season bulked up .
(08-22-2019, 09:12 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 08:57 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Like I say viewing angles and no replays can really affect how things are seen.

Cheers all.

Judging by your match comments on other articles, your viewing angle from the Smethwick End toilet really hampered your view of the game.

Yawn.
(08-22-2019, 08:39 AM)MassDebater Wrote: I can't be arsed trawling through the mess of the match fred (which is likely why others also end up posting new freds that may have been covered...just too much mess in there)....

How good was the Reading goal? I've seen no replays, and was seated in the SME corner, maybe 8 seats back, so fairly low down. To us it looked like SJ just stood there and made zero effort. Sure we could tell that our defence just turned completely off, so probably not down to SJ...

So how good a goal was it? Should SJ have tried more? Would he have had a chance? Or was it just a brilliant goal?
Was a cracking goal by a cracking player he ran the show for Reading last night, nothing SJ could have done,
(08-22-2019, 08:49 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 08:46 AM)Duffers Wrote: Must.... Blame.... Johnstone...

Which part of "not his fault" dont you understand?

Playing Devils advocate - think the addition of  'but he stood there like a guppy admiring it' could be interpreted as a counter to the initial 'not his fault' line
(08-22-2019, 09:05 AM)baggy1 Wrote: From directly behind it in the Brummie it looked like Johnstone's positioning was preparing for the ball going into the middle or far post. When Ejaria looked up he must have seen an absolute world of netting to aim for and just hit it straight. We seemed to stand off and just let him run and allowed him to pick his spot. If I was being really critical of Johnstone I would say his positioning was off but probably wasn't expecting the defenders to give him so much space.
(08-22-2019, 09:05 AM)baggy1 Wrote: From directly behind it in the Brummie it looked like Johnstone's positioning was preparing for the ball going into the middle or far post. When Ejaria looked up he must have seen an absolute world of netting to aim for and just hit it straight. We seemed to stand off and just let him run and allowed him to pick his spot. If I was being really critical of Johnstone I would say his positioning was off but probably wasn't expecting the defenders to give him so much space.

Very much this. It looked like he had acres of space and a huge target to aim at. For balance though I think the shortening aspect of the BRE view (Row FF for me) can make things look slower and easier.
(08-22-2019, 09:17 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:

Playing Devils advocate - think the addition of  'but he stood there like a guppy admiring it' could be interpreted as a counter to the initial 'not his fault' line

Not going there, Stevel.

I don't blame him for the goal, but I do think a keeper like Foster would have left the ground and attempted to save it. I'm fed up of him just watching as the ball flies past him.
(08-22-2019, 09:26 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Not going there, Stevel.

I don't blame him for the goal, but I do think a keeper like Foster would have left the ground and attempted to save it. I'm fed up of him just watching as the ball flies past him.

Which is exactly why I asked the question originally, it wasn't a pop at SJ. I actually thought he was far more commanding of his whole area last night.
(08-22-2019, 09:32 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 09:26 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Not going there, Stevel.

Which is exactly why I asked the question originally, it wasn't a pop at SJ. I actually thought he was far more commanding of his whole area last night.

I've said before, I find him bang average, and not worth the fee we paid for him.

Hopefully he will improve, but bombing out Foster when he wanted to stay seems to have been a poor decision (unless things were happening behind the scenes that we aren't privy to).