UK may not be a safe country
(05-01-2024, 12:53 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 12:08 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 11:53 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Tell me you don't understand what a representative democracy is without telling me you don't understand what a representative democracy is.

B1 is referring to the concept of "Tyranny of the Majority" which is why intranational and internal checks and balances are a thing.

But that's not what he posted, is it?

Err, yeah it is?

1930s Germany happened because of there being zero internal and intranational accountability against their democratic decisions, ultimately ending up with an undemocratic outcome. B1 also said "dismissing part of the safety net we have to stop fools making a law saying something that obviously is isn’t" which I think is a pretty explicit reference to the checks and balances.

I think it's no coincidence that the Project 2025 stuff coming from the right wing in the US is primarily about removing all checks and balances put on the democratic institutions, so they can make them undemocratic institutions.
Shouting into the void BB
I look forward to the likes of Gillis, Dorries and 30p Lee selling simple solutions to complex problems democratically without any checks and balances… what could possibly go wrong!
(05-01-2024, 03:15 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Shouting into the void BB

Hardly. I disagree with the Rwanda Act because it's a daft misallocation of scarce resources. 

You must disagree with it for a reason that hasn't been addressed in the Act or the Treaty? What is it?
(05-01-2024, 04:04 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 03:15 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Shouting into the void BB

Hardly. I disagree with the Rwanda Act because it's a daft misallocation of scarce resources. 

You must disagree with it for a reason that hasn't been addressed in the Act or the Treaty? What is it?

It's both a daft misallocation of resources and the government abusing Parliamentary legislation, namely just decreeing that a country is safe and no external body can say otherwise.

The latter point is very salient, it is the exact thing that checks and balances on power should stop and it is akin to the Indiana pi bill.
(04-28-2024, 10:48 AM)Protheroe Wrote: One of the applicants already had his application turned down in the UK and tried his hand in Ireland. The other overstayed his UK student visa.

Now Ireland doesn't want them either.

Neither has any right to be in the UK or Ireland, do they? So what's actually at issue here?

Judgjng by the news over the last few days, there's quite few issues here. Keep up with the programme and spend less time getting your buzz phrases on your Tory whats app groups.  Big Grin
In the meantime lawyers barristers make a fortune