UK may not be a safe country
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/cou...as%20ruled.

So Ireland might not be able to return asylum seekers to UK - as it intends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68914399

And Sunak says, asylum seekers going from UK to Ireland shows that the Rwanda policy is working.

No class, no moral compass. What a hideous shitshow.
One of the applicants already had his application turned down in the UK and tried his hand in Ireland. The other overstayed his UK student visa.

Now Ireland doesn't want them either.

Neither has any right to be in the UK or Ireland, do they? So what's actually at issue here?
It's be an interesting case, an Irish court judging whether or not the UK is a safe place to return a refugee to, on the basis that the UK would then send them on to an unsafe place (in the Irish if not British government's eyes), Rwanda.

We're the laughing stock of the world.  Thankfully I neither voted nor campaigned for them, because if I had, I wouldn't be feeling so full of myself.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(04-29-2024, 12:34 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: It's be an interesting case, an Irish court judging whether or not the UK is a safe place to return a refugee to, on the basis that the UK would then send them on to an unsafe place (in the Irish if not British government's eyes), Rwanda.

We're the laughing stock of the world.  Thankfully I neither voted nor campaigned for them, because if I had, I wouldn't be feeling so full of myself.

The bar of my expectations has obviously been set low by the experience of the last 14+ years. So much so that my hope is that whoever forms the next government might manage not to hate the country and hold the majority of those of us who live here in such complete contempt.

That would be a start.
(04-29-2024, 12:34 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: We're the laughing stock of the world. 

I think you're missing the point. This is a legal argument about whether it's lawful or not to return two people who have no right to be in Ireland to the UK where they have no right to be either. When you look at the non-EU countries that EU / Ireland has deemed as safe, I'd suggest it's not the UK that's an international laughing stock.
Could always return to war torn France

Wont go back to Greece as conditions are terrible

JUst like Syria according to that chap on Newsnigt
(04-28-2024, 10:48 AM)Protheroe Wrote: One of the applicants already had his application turned down in the UK and tried his hand in Ireland. The other overstayed his UK student visa.

Now Ireland doesn't want them either.

Neither has any right to be in the UK or Ireland, do they? So what's actually at issue here?

The amendment to the Common Travel Area agreement in 2011 dictates that we take them back as the UK was the first point of entry.
Yes. But Ireland has some concerns (apparently) about sending someone back here but not, say, Algeria. It would be very difficult to make this shit up.
I must have missed the bit where Ireland and the EU made up a law which said to ignore the courts
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
Most EU countries have had outstanding and unimplemented ECHR judgements over the years so I understand. So ignoring the courts or delaying the implementation of judgements is not exactly a new thing.