Libraries
(04-18-2024, 02:17 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 01:53 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 01:21 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 12:58 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 11:31 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Today, is the first time I have been in a Library (local community/council) with any intention, for well over 24 or so years. (Had to wrack me brain it were back in Uni days)

How amazingly wonderous! Now this is a small community Library, they had loads of computers, tablets, an automated book checking out system, you can borrow MP3/MP4 audio books, there was a kiddies learning area, adult study area - it goes on!

How frickin brilliant, I thought! What a complete change in the X amount of years since I'd last been.

SausEgg Jnr is gonna love it!

Make the most of them, they are slowly but surely getting closer down.

25 libraries from 36 are set to close across Birmingham this year apparently.

Is that a Labour council closing these libraries?

Thankfully, I no longer live in a Birmingham Council area, and I really do feel sorry for all the residents whom will feel the impact of their blatant disregard of management of services. 

All those involved at Brum Council should be sacked or taken to Westminster to be heard & held accountable for their actions.

Couldn't agree more. Conservative Mayor and a Labour Council. They are all to blame in my eyes.

Lovely to see that the library of my childhood, Halesowen still seems to be going strong.
(04-18-2024, 02:01 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 01:57 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I used to love going and listening to music in the library and taking out records to take home (and record of course).  They used to have a piece of xard and on either side they’d draw the scratches that were on both sides of the records, so they knows whether to charge you for scratching the record

Speaking of which….  I knew when my middle brother has played my record as there’s be fucking finger prints all over the bastid things that I’d cared fo meticulously.

By complete coincidence I was discussing these very delights of taping library records this morning. Dudley Library had a astonishingly good range of music to lend back in the '80's.

It sure did. I'd go in there, take out the maximum albums allowed and head for home armed with a carrier bag full of C90 tapes. I remember the elderly lady that ran the music library, very strict and took no nonsense from anyone. As a condition of lending, she used to scrutinise your stylus regularly and would often refuse if she thought you were a danger to any of the vinyl. Dudlet library was a paradise then for us kids that weren't mad on school, especially if it was snowing or raining.
Stourport library introduced me to Motown, Bob Marley and The Beatles. Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, too.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(04-18-2024, 07:53 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: Stourport library introduced me to Motown, Bob Marley and The Beatles.  Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, too.

Stourport library has a lot to answer for.
(04-18-2024, 07:53 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: Stourport library introduced me to Motown, Bob Marley and The Beatles.  Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, too.

Where you living in a cave?
Bit like pubs, really. Often the people who complain they are closing are the ones that hardly or never used them anyway. 

As an aside I’ve had Kindles for a number of years, most of them having been left in pockets on planes. But they are really handy, slimline and just convenient. My daughter bought me a hardback copy of the latest Cormoran Strike book for Christmas that I’ve just finished but it was a pain to handle in comparison to flicking to the next page on a Kindle.
(04-18-2024, 02:22 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 01:21 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 12:58 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Make the most of them, they are slowly but surely getting closer down.

25 libraries from 36 are set to close across Birmingham this year apparently.

Thankfully, I no longer live in a Birmingham Council area, and I really do feel sorry for all the residents whom will feel the impact of their blatant disregard of management of services. 

All those involved at Brum Council should be sacked or taken to Westminster to be heard & held accountable for their actions.

Couldn't agree more. Conservative Mayor and a Labour Council. They are all to blame in my eyes.

Lovely to see that the library of my childhood, Halesowen still seems to be going strong.

Loved H library. Where did you grow up KK
(04-18-2024, 09:32 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:22 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 01:21 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: 25 libraries from 36 are set to close across Birmingham this year apparently.

Loved H library. Where did you grow up KK
Abbeyfields on Manor Lane
The closest I get to a library is when a pub has a bookshelf in the bar (love those kind of pubs).

I do like the idea of a library, but in today's age of digital media, what's the point in them?
(04-19-2024, 10:47 AM)SuperBob2002 Wrote: The closest I get to a library is when a pub has a bookshelf in the bar (love those kind of pubs).

I do like the idea of a library, but in today's age of digital media, what's the point in them?

They are great places to take kids. If you don't get them onto books at an early age nowadays you're fugged.

I used to go every Saturday after I'd taken my daughter to swimming. The one weekend we made our way back to the car and my old Passat had an issue with the door sensor being knackered so it wouldn't warn you if your lights were still on (I'd had the AA out half a dozen times over a couple of years). Anyway, got into the car after and the fugger wouldn't start. I was banging on the steering wheel shouting and cursing and it upset my daughter who was about 3 at the time so I clambered into the back to calm her down with the books and then phoned the AA. They arrived but couldn't find me initially but the problem was the childlocks were on in the back and my leg had cramped up so I couldn't get between the front seats to get out. Eventually the fella found me but I must have made the bloke's day as he was pissing himself laughing as he let me out of the car!