The title race- the telling statistic
(04-18-2024, 03:55 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: I don't understand some of our local Asian lads who support Liverpool and man utd even though they do like the albion bloody baffling

So true, although just a few of the younger lads I know from the town follow Albion home and away yet their dads are Liverpool and Man U fans. I find that refreshing.

(04-18-2024, 03:20 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 10:21 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 09:47 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is turning into a good thread.

I think we'll see and are seeing a generation of a different kind of fan too. There may be the Man U supporting Brummies, but they will choose to also support a local team as they can't get a ticket to Old Trafford for love nor money.

Dream on. 

One of my good mates from uni (born and raised in Birmingham) has always 'supported' Liverpool. When discussing football the other week he said "I'm used to watching it on TV, so I actually prefer TV to going to games as you get replays and a better view"

In terms of being competitive or even fun, the game at the top level is fucked and has been for years. We'll live to regret standing in the way of that Super League.

Your armchair wannabe Scouser represents one type of fan, but not all. Junior has 2 mates who go to the Albion with him. Both considered themselves Man U some years ago. One still is, but loves going to the Albion, whilst the other genuinely doesn't know who he supports now.

It really depends what you want from football and going to a game is a completely different experience. 

There's a lot to be said for supporting a team where lads who drink in the same pubs as you, whose folks grew up with the same influences and geography all play a part. You can support Man U, Liverpool etc, but it's akin to wearing Armani jeans or some other branded bollocks to make you feel good.
Good analogy Spandau. In my most regular local we have Albion, villa season ticket holders along with the odd bluenose and one dingle. None of us even acknowledge the few glory hunting fans when they try to strike up a chat. One thing we do all agree with.
In Man City’s history, until 2008 they’d won the League twice. That tells you all you need to know about the charade.
(04-19-2024, 05:52 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: In Man City’s history, until 2008 they’d won the League twice. That tells you all you need to know about the charade.

An interesting snippet of Man City's history is that they are the only club to win the League (1937) to then get relegated the following season.
(04-19-2024, 09:09 AM)baggie_ray Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 05:52 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: In Man City’s history, until 2008 they’d won the League twice. That tells you all you need to know about the charade.

An interesting snippet of Man City's history is that they are the only club to win the League (1937) to then get relegated the following season.

FA Cup and promotion, you'll never sing that!