The title race- the telling statistic
(04-18-2024, 09:47 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is turning into a good thread.

I think we'll see and are seeing a generation of a different kind of fan too. There may be the Man U supporting Brummies, but they will choose to also support a local team as they can't get a ticket to Old Trafford for love nor money.

I honestly don't think this will matter that much. When you can watch virtually every game from the comfort of your settee, then you can support pretty much any team in the world or even, god forbid, multiple teams in different leagues and, technically have a season ticket.
This is basically the Sky model, which has reduced the fan in the ground to nothing more than a novelty, there to provide a sense of atmosphere. The "real" fans, as far as they are concerned are the ones paying the subscriptions, whether they be in Brum, Bahrain or Bermuda.

Hopefully, clubs like us will maintain that heritage by passing it on through the generations, but, to even do that, you need a modicum of success and, therefore, a lot of money, so Patel could not have arrived at a better time.
I hope and prey that there is a super league and the rotten bunch just fuck off and leave the rest to it .....there the problem starts ....why would sky put billions of pounds into a second tier football league I think alot of clubs would go bust on the back of it .
Tony pulis is a wanker 

I think we'll see and are seeing a generation of a different kind of fan too. There may be the Man U supporting Brummies, but they will choose to also support a local team as they can't get a ticket to Old Trafford for love nor money.

Dream on. 

One of my good mates from uni (born and raised in Birmingham) has always 'supported' Liverpool. When discussing football the other week he said "I'm used to watching it on TV, so I actually prefer TV to going to games as you get replays and a better view"

In terms of being competitive or even fun, the game at the top level is fucked and has been for years. We'll live to regret standing in the way of that Super League.
(04-18-2024, 10:19 AM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: I hope and prey that there is a super league and the rotten bunch just fuck off and leave the rest to it .....there the problem starts ....why would sky put billions of pounds into a second tier football league I think alot of clubs would go bust on the back of it .

I think what happens then China is we go back to the way it used to be, with footballers outside the Intergalactic League sponsored by Shell earning decent money but whereas Mbappe may get £300,000 a week a championship footballer gets maybe that much a year. 

Clubs will have to have a more sustainable business model and stuff done to ensure there is some level of fluency wherein the Intergalactic League has a relegation model allowing the likes of Villa, Newcastle etc a chance.
(04-16-2024, 04:54 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: 115 charges against them and billions of pounds from some medieval regime. I genuinely wouldn't want the Albion to be them and I bet many City fans feel the same.

I tought this was quite funny.   Big Grin

Paddy Power

@paddypower
·
Apr 16

City selling Cole Palmer for £45m and signing Doku for £60m should be the 116th charge.
I've said before, anyone who pays for Sky Sports is the problem. Without that football would be a very different beast.
(04-18-2024, 10:21 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Dream on. 

One of my good mates from uni (born and raised in Birmingham) has always 'supported' Liverpool. When discussing football the other week he said "I'm used to watching it on TV, so I actually prefer TV to going to games as you get replays and a better view"

In terms of being competitive or even fun, the game at the top level is fucked and has been for years. We'll live to regret standing in the way of that Super League.

Your armchair wannabe Scouser represents one type of fan, but not all. Junior has 2 mates who go to the Albion with him. Both considered themselves Man U some years ago. One still is, but loves going to the Albion, whilst the other genuinely doesn't know who he supports now.

It really depends what you want from football and going to a game is a completely different experience. 

There's a lot to be said for supporting a team where lads who drink in the same pubs as you, whose folks grew up with the same influences and geography all play a part. You can support Man U, Liverpool etc, but it's akin to wearing Armani jeans or some other branded bollocks to make you feel good.
(04-18-2024, 03:20 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 10:21 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Dream on. 

Your armchair wannabe Scouser represents one type of fan, but not all. Junior has 2 mates who go to the Albion with him. Both considered themselves Man U some years ago. One still is, but loves going to the Albion, whilst the other genuinely doesn't know who he supports now.

It really depends what you want from football and going to a game is a completely different experience. 

There's a lot to be said for supporting a team where lads who drink in the same pubs as you, whose folks grew up with the same influences and geography all play a part. You can support Man U, Liverpool etc, but it's akin to wearing Armani jeans or some other branded bollocks to make you feel good.

What these people don't understand is that locals from both sides, where they live and Manchester/Liverpool etc, regard them are twats. Glory-hunters for one, not proper fans on t'other.
I don't understand some of our local Asian lads who support Liverpool and man utd even though they do like the albion bloody baffling
Tony pulis is a wanker 
(04-18-2024, 03:55 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: I don't understand some of our local Asian lads who support Liverpool and man utd even though they do like the albion bloody baffling

I lived for a while in Slough which has a big Asian community and I'd say all of the lads I worked with supported either Liverpool or Man Utd. None of them were fans of Chelsea, which was by far the most well-supported team there overall.