Bottle throwing
Well we made Radio 4 News this morning for all the wrong reasons. It was indeed an embarrassing day for the club.
Yeah this is embarrassing.

I feel actively embarrassed by what happened yesterday.

It wasn't all our fault, it wasn't all the Wolves fault, but I don't give a toss about how Wolves are viewed. We made ourselves look bad.
(01-29-2024, 08:29 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 01:37 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 04:16 PM)garryowensneck Wrote: As someone who's been watching football a long time, I have on occasion sat/stood in opposition territory. You just shut your gob and keep your reactions under control, otherwise don't go.

Me too. Did it at villa a few years ago too.
But why does it have to be a problem? Rugby league, union, cricket etc can share stands.
What is it about football that brings out this behaviour?

Football is a different scale of a sport. Look at club rugby and the percentage of people that actually follow it. No game is like football in terms of following.
However, segregation does breed tribalism and a them and us mentality.
I do think a mixed area like Fulham is a good idea for the more intelligent fans going to games with mates who support the other team. I have been to games with Villa, Blues and Wolves mates in the past and just kept quiet when we've scored at their place and them likewise at the Hawthorns.
The vast majority of fans could sit with opponents and not feel visceral hatred towards them.
FWIW my best man is a Wolves fan. There was no gloating texts from him yesterday any more than from me when we have beaten them.

This is a very good posy Spandau, totally agree with it.

I suspect the vast majority of supporters could share the same space with opposition fans.

I remember years ago going to a game at Molinuex with my dad. We stood in the terrace that ran along the side of the pitch...it was in 1979 or 1980. There was a lot of mixed support, children standing next to each other wearing albion or wolves scarves. No trouble at all. On the journey home travelling through Wolverhampton Town centre it was like something out of a dystopia novel, loads of fighting and one or two poor souls who clearly had serious injuries.

Back then it seemed that those who wanted a fight got on with it, whilst there was space for those who were happy to go to the game and watch with opposing fans. Seems to be there are no 'civilians' these days.

I watched the game on TV and the commentator said something noteworthy, he had spoken to fans from both clubs in the lead up to this game and many had said they wouldn't take their children to a BCD.
Sad, but I think true. Not that my children would have been interested, but there is no way I would take them to the away game, far too hairy Think the rot set in around the early to mid 80s.
(01-29-2024, 10:52 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 08:29 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 01:37 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 04:16 PM)garryowensneck Wrote: As someone who's been watching football a long time, I have on occasion sat/stood in opposition territory. You just shut your gob and keep your reactions under control, otherwise don't go.

Me too. Did it at villa a few years ago too.
But why does it have to be a problem? Rugby league, union, cricket etc can share stands.
What is it about football that brings out this behaviour?

Football is a different scale of a sport. Look at club rugby and the percentage of people that actually follow it. No game is like football in terms of following.
However, segregation does breed tribalism and a them and us mentality.
I do think a mixed area like Fulham is a good idea for the more intelligent fans going to games with mates who support the other team. I have been to games with Villa, Blues and Wolves mates in the past and just kept quiet when we've scored at their place and them likewise at the Hawthorns.
The vast majority of fans could sit with opponents and not feel visceral hatred towards them.
FWIW my best man is a Wolves fan. There was no gloating texts from him yesterday any more than from me when we have beaten them.

This is a very good posy Spandau, totally agree with it.

I suspect the vast majority of supporters could share the same space with opposition fans.

I remember years ago going to a game at Molinuex with my dad. We stood in the terrace that ran along the side of the pitch...it was in 1979 or 1980. There was a lot of mixed support, children standing next to each other wearing albion or wolves scarves. No trouble at all. On the journey home travelling through Wolverhampton Town centre it was like something out of a dystopia novel, loads of fighting and one or two poor souls who clearly had serious injuries.

Back then it seemed that those who wanted a fight got on with it, whilst there was space for those who were happy to go to the game and watch with opposing fans. Seems to be there are no 'civilians' these days.

I watched the game on TV and the commentator said something noteworthy, he had spoken to fans from both clubs in the lead up to this game and many had said they wouldn't take their children to a BCD.
Sad, but I think true. Not that my children would have been interested, but there is no way I would take them to the away game, far too hairy Think the rot set in around the early to mid 80s.

I recall my first experience of any football trouble. V Wolves on Kendrick way. I was 8. Game was 0-0. My dad swerved to avoid lads running and fighting on the traffic island.
Has anyone mentioned the flares being thrown into the albion fans
Tony pulis is a wanker