Bond
(04-20-2019, 12:21 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 12:11 PM)Statto Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 08:40 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 05:12 AM)Banbury Baggie Wrote: SJ seems to be a player that drifts in and out of form......when BD went, he turned into a class keeper literally overnight, but watching him yesterday he seems to be back to the nervous, jittery keeper we all don't want to see.

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if he f**ks up against the Vile which results in them getting promoted?  

I remember when Fozzie did this at VP, but at least he was consistently good with the odd howler chucked in.

Fozzie is still capable of the odd howler, such as against Arsenal last week. 

But with dodgy knees and in the twilight years of his career, he is still a mighty fine goalkeeper. I hope he gets a cup winners medal next month.

Having reviewed the goals on TV last night, I don't think that either keeper covered themselves in glory. I think Norwich made an astute signing in Tim Krul, He was signed on a Bosman, and I know that means paying signing on fees etc, I reckon it will still have been a cheaper option than SJ, who must be on a decent wedge with us.

No exaggeration to say Tim Krul kicked a dozen balls out of play at our place this season. Our expert support would’ve chased him out of town on that performance alone. 

The two goals in that game were almost identical. However, on here ours was a great cross from Holgate and poacher’s finish from Gayle, while for theirs SJ had to do better and should save it. 

Our fanbase destroy goalkeepers. The treatment Johnstone has had from the first 10 minutes of the season is shameful. People fiercely defend their right to shout shit, but he’s had no chance to settle in and gain confidence. GJ’s tactics didn’t help, but idiots constantly abused him despite it being obvious to anyone with half a brain that he was playing to instruction. The playing out clearly (and understandably) pressurised his decision making.  Add in the utterly pathetic ex Villa complex we have as a fanbase and he’s got no chance. More than a few still include Villa references in their abuse even now. 

In all my away games I can’t recall hearing abuse for a home player anywhere like I’ve heard our fans given Johnstone this season. Villa are notorious for it and we used to mock them. Their 6 foot 7 keeper got lobbed on his line for HRK’s header. He didn’t get as much stick as SJ gets for pausing over a goal kick.

We rounded on Keily as not good enough despite him doing very well for us. We went after Carson and blamed him for literally everything including other’s mistakes and he buckled. We’ve ridiculed Myhill and still do despite him being the best number two we’ve ever had, and now we’ve gone after Johnstone bigger than ever. 

The most laughable reason for wanting Bond is that SJ doesn’t dominate his box. Bond has done well and is a good shot stopper. However, he has looked weak and uncertain under any aerial pressure. Despite Bartley and Dawson going all Keystone Cops, Johnstone would’ve been sbsolutely slaughtered for letting the equaliser go straight through him v Brighton, but that doesn’t fit the agenda. 

There are question marks raised over long shots, but we are piss poor at closing shots down. He wasn’t playing yesterday but Livermore is the worst culprit. Opposition players routinely get the chance to steady themselves and line up their shots. We don’t get such luxury in the attacking third. This is the area we most miss Yacob, and did last season. 

SJ has areas he needs to develop without doubt. However, when confident he looks quality. The problem is he’ll never be allowed to build that confidence with our fanbase. The abuse he got yesterday after kicking one ball out of play was disgusting. He aims wide for Holgate. Inevitably, some will go straight out. This is still preferable to putting it one the centre half’s head to return with interest and put us under pressure. It’s the right thing to do. 

However “just kick it up the fucking middle you useless Villa cunt” is an acceptable type of response it seems. Eventually, he just wellied one up the middle first half. Guess what happened? Straight back. 

GJ has a lot to answer for with SJ as he has great potential and hasn’t been helped one bit this season. Sadly, our home fans have just as much to answer for, if not more. We still think that hammering our own players is going to improve matters. 

Is Harper going to sign and get his head back on after having his substitution cheered yesterday? Mears has done little wrong all season but still got roundly booed on v Derby. Bartley is a comedy figure despite looking an able deputy when allowed to play to his strengths. 

Too many of our fans have turned into the cunts from B6 and I fucking hate it.

Although I don't rate Johnson (mine own personnel opinion) your spot on with your post we,'re our own worst enimies as regards players confidence we always seem to look for a scapegoat we are slowly turning into carbon copies of those seal twats, down the road.

I can't disagree with most you have written, Statto, especially the fans reactions at the games.

With regards to SJ though, we were guilty yet again of poor scouting. It was John Terry that held the Villa back line together last season, and SJ benefited with a record number of clean sheets. Similarly, he would have looked good in Pulis' Albion back line.

Unfortunately he is now paying the price for being a bang average keeper, having to live up to the hype of his transfer fee, and last year's performances, which weren't as good as they seemed.

We have to stick with him though, it is too late to change anything now. Hopefully a more mobile midfield (if Harper gets his head out of his arse) will help, but we let the player go that could have helped - Yacob.
He's been on ITV1 today. Has a lovely bird I must say.
(04-20-2019, 12:11 PM)Statto Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 08:40 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 05:12 AM)Banbury Baggie Wrote: SJ seems to be a player that drifts in and out of form......when BD went, he turned into a class keeper literally overnight, but watching him yesterday he seems to be back to the nervous, jittery keeper we all don't want to see.

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if he f**ks up against the Vile which results in them getting promoted?  

I remember when Fozzie did this at VP, but at least he was consistently good with the odd howler chucked in.

Fozzie is still capable of the odd howler, such as against Arsenal last week. 

But with dodgy knees and in the twilight years of his career, he is still a mighty fine goalkeeper. I hope he gets a cup winners medal next month.

Having reviewed the goals on TV last night, I don't think that either keeper covered themselves in glory. I think Norwich made an astute signing in Tim Krul, He was signed on a Bosman, and I know that means paying signing on fees etc, I reckon it will still have been a cheaper option than SJ, who must be on a decent wedge with us.

No exaggeration to say Tim Krul kicked a dozen balls out of play at our place this season. Our expert support would’ve chased him out of town on that performance alone. 

The two goals in that game were almost identical. However, on here ours was a great cross from Holgate and poacher’s finish from Gayle, while for theirs SJ had to do better and should save it. 

Our fanbase destroy goalkeepers. The treatment Johnstone has had from the first 10 minutes of the season is shameful. People fiercely defend their right to shout shit, but he’s had no chance to settle in and gain confidence. GJ’s tactics didn’t help, but idiots constantly abused him despite it being obvious to anyone with half a brain that he was playing to instruction. The playing out clearly (and understandably) pressurised his decision making.  Add in the utterly pathetic ex Villa complex we have as a fanbase and he’s got no chance. More than a few still include Villa references in their abuse even now. 

In all my away games I can’t recall hearing abuse for a home player anywhere like I’ve heard our fans given Johnstone this season. Villa are notorious for it and we used to mock them. Their 6 foot 7 keeper got lobbed on his line for HRK’s header. He didn’t get as much stick as SJ gets for pausing over a goal kick.

We rounded on Keily as not good enough despite him doing very well for us. We went after Carson and blamed him for literally everything including other’s mistakes and he buckled. We’ve ridiculed Myhill and still do despite him being the best number two we’ve ever had, and now we’ve gone after Johnstone bigger than ever. 

The most laughable reason for wanting Bond is that SJ doesn’t dominate his box. Bond has done well and is a good shot stopper. However, he has looked weak and uncertain under any aerial pressure. Despite Bartley and Dawson going all Keystone Cops, Johnstone would’ve been sbsolutely slaughtered for letting the equaliser go straight through him v Brighton, but that doesn’t fit the agenda. 

There are question marks raised over long shots, but we are piss poor at closing shots down. He wasn’t playing yesterday but Livermore is the worst culprit. Opposition players routinely get the chance to steady themselves and line up their shots. We don’t get such luxury in the attacking third. This is the area we most miss Yacob, and did last season. 

SJ has areas he needs to develop without doubt. However, when confident he looks quality. The problem is he’ll never be allowed to build that confidence with our fanbase. The abuse he got yesterday after kicking one ball out of play was disgusting. He aims wide for Holgate. Inevitably, some will go straight out. This is still preferable to putting it one the centre half’s head to return with interest and put us under pressure. It’s the right thing to do. 

However “just kick it up the fucking middle you useless Villa cunt” is an acceptable type of response it seems. Eventually, he just wellied one up the middle first half. Guess what happened? Straight back. 

GJ has a lot to answer for with SJ as he has great potential and hasn’t been helped one bit this season. Sadly, our home fans have just as much to answer for, if not more. We still think that hammering our own players is going to improve matters. 

Is Harper going to sign and get his head back on after having his substitution cheered yesterday? Mears has done little wrong all season but still got roundly booed on v Derby. Bartley is a comedy figure despite looking an able deputy when allowed to play to his strengths. 

Too many of our fans have turned into the cunts from B6 and I fucking hate it.

This is absolutely spot on, especially the part about Krul. His kicking at ours was so abject, that it was being greeted with gales of laughter.

I've seen Johnstone make some excellent saves with my own eyes, notably against Swansea but there have been plenty of others.

I could say more, but it all comes down to one fact:

I hate Graeme Jones more than Tony Pulis.

At least the latter did what he was paid to do for two seasons (and if the board had a brain in their head, they would have looked for a replacement to start the 17/18 season).

Jones has undermined the team and cost us many points.

As for Bond, I'm wondering how many of those who rate him, saw him against Brighton at home. Not many, I'm sure.
I saw him in both games against Brighton and thought he did ok, but Johnstone will play in any remaining games because of his experience no matter what form hes in .l know its not his fault when crosses come in but i just shit myself everytime they do .
Three games before the end of the season is not the time to start pissimg about changing the keepers. Johnstone is the better keeper, anyway.
(04-20-2019, 07:21 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Three games before the end of the season is not the time to start pissimg about changing the keepers. Johnstone is the better keeper, anyway.

Plus he has big game experience. Played in a League 1 Play Off Final and a Championship Play Off Final.

Johnstone is our number 1.
(04-20-2019, 04:00 PM)HLS Wrote: He's been on ITV1 today. Has a lovely bird I must say.

I bet he doesn't drop anything that belongs to her.
Sam Johnstone Play off Record

Played 6 and only conceded 1 goal
(04-20-2019, 08:42 PM)Albion Wrote: Sam Johnstone Play off Record

It wasn't an important one he conceded, was it? I can't recall  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(04-20-2019, 08:42 PM)Albion Wrote: Sam Johnstone Play off Record

Pulis has never been releg...