Championship
This is what I truly hate about modern football. The challenge is greater than the prize.

If we go up, we'll have the smallest budget in the league, so get battered most weeks, which is just no fun. Imagine that pea-eyed beast from Man City coming down here and scoring about 8 and all the "pundits" waxing lyrical about how wonderful he is and what a genius Pep is, with no regard for the fact it is (financially) akin to a McLaren beating an Austin Allegro? We will make some, much needed, dough though.

If, however, we stay down, we have a chance to rebuild something genuine and actually have a coach and team to be proud of. We will win more than we lose, yet will be skint, so the "desperation" to go up will be even greater.

It basically ALL comes down to money and nothing else.
We are going to need a big clear out this summer to get the wage bill down
So the club can operate at a sustainable level

Players to try & sell
Ajayi, Grant,Mowatt, Furlong, kipre, Castro, Tulloch (+ I think TGH & Cleary will be sold)
Players released
Button, Livermore, Reach, Bryan , Kelly, Pieters, Rogic

+ big job cuts in the back room staff

A big rebuild ahead with very little resources

We need them 7 wins to make the playoffs and then just the small matter of winning them.
(03-20-2023, 05:59 PM)Hughie Reed 31 Wrote: We are going to need a big clear out this summer to get the wage bill down
So the club can operate at a sustainable level

Players to try & sell
Ajayi, Grant,Mowatt, Furlong, kipre, Castro, Tulloch (+ I think TGH  & Cleary will be sold)
Players released
Button, Livermore, Reach, Bryan , Kelly, Pieters, Rogic

+ big job cuts in the back room staff

A big rebuild ahead with very little resources

We need them 7 wins to make the playoffs and then just the small matter of winning them.

Button Reach & Kelly aren't out of contract.

Grant we can't afford to sell (owe Hudds more than he is worth), and nobody is going to buy Mowatt on his wages with only 12 months left on his contract.

I don't disagree with your choices, btw, just pointing out the reality that at least 5 of them will be here next season.
(03-20-2023, 10:27 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: This is what I truly hate about modern football. The challenge is greater than the prize.

If we go up, we'll have the smallest budget in the league, so get battered most weeks, which is just no fun. Imagine that pea-eyed beast from Man City coming down here and scoring about 8 and all the "pundits" waxing lyrical about how wonderful he is and what a genius Pep is, with no regard for the fact it is (financially) akin to a McLaren beating an Austin Allegro? We will make some, much needed, dough though.

If, however, we stay down, we have a chance to rebuild something genuine and actually have a coach and team to be proud of. We will win more than we lose, yet will be skint, so the "desperation" to go up will be even greater.

It basically ALL comes down to money and nothing else.

Precisely.

I think those of us who recall the olden days as they are now feel a greater sense of emptiness with modern football.

Your analogy is perfect and I recall the independent writing about the disparity when Man City steamrollered Watford in the cup final.

The vast majority of clubs now are just cannon fodder for those able to build billion pound squads from oil money. However, nothing is done to stop this cartel from making the sport so uncompetitive.
(03-20-2023, 09:59 AM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 09:49 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Presuming we don't go up it really is a case of as Anelka said, of evolution over revolution.

Given a full-season we would certainly have been top 3 or 4 with this squad under CC. The fringe players now will go and I expect to see those 4-5 replaced with likewise and maybe a couple of youngsters finding their way through.

I certainly wouldn't write Grady off yet either, but if we do get good money for him wouldn't be averse to seeing him go.

An excellent way of putting what I was trying to say. We need to augment the squad, rather than have wholesale changes. If we somehow miraculously get promoted, all bets are off though.

+1
How many chances do we give him, since he signed permanently he's been poor.
He's clearly not a CC system player and don't think he rates him very highly.
12m for an injury prone average winger to sit on a bench in the Championship.
(03-19-2023, 02:01 PM)BradleyFromTheHalfWayLine Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 12:23 PM)Mr Nimbus Wrote: The only question mark for summer 23 (apart from kids) will be, Rogic?  Worth keeping? Talent but not sure myself and will be on good wages.  Can we find a more mobile number 10?

If you look at the players here until summer 24, the form that both Phillip's and the Bartman showed under CC before injuries suggest that far from being the liability we envisaged on extending, they can both be first 11 come start of season and will be valuable to squad for their final year.

Yes we could do with a real leader either at the back or in CM but that's a valuable commodity, maybe we can add in the fullback area.  Thinking of the impact Clememt, Reid made and also the much maligned Ridgewell, surely they will look at competition for both full backs regardless. 

Maybe a left footed CB, but Pieters must be thinking he's earned another year? Cf I would only expect a loanee as they will be third choice.  Another runner for CM? So Mumby cam ve rested. Hoped TGH might step up, but doesn't seem to have trust of manager yet. 

The big question really is around Grady and Grant?? That's were a lot of our book value still sits.  I'm presuming they will be looking for a loan for Grant, as I dont think he suits the Corberan way.  His exit allows space for a youngster with some real pace to come in, as we nearly did with Hutchinson in the Jan window. 

Grady continues to be the conundrum.  Frustrating for months, then finds some form and gets injured.  Personally think a loan would be best for all, but we continue to hope next season it all comes together again.  At least his book value is going down, so we may even be open to offers.

So if we do fall short, I dont see the need to despair.  Good manager, decent squad (not top 2, but good enough to be in the mixer) and a bit of squad strengthening/freshening leaves us good to go again next year.  After that, who knows?

Rogic, Pieters, Grady, Grant, Button, Kipre and Livermore all need moving on this summer. If that means letting both Grady and Grant go out on loan (or selling Grady for a nominal fee) then it has to happen, no ifs, no buts. With those wages off the books it will be possible to build a squad of promising, hungry younger players and 2-3 Prem loans.

Palmer, Griffiths, O'Shea, Yokuslu, Molumby, Swift, Wallace, Dike and BTA would be the only ones I'd definitely keep. 

Not even sure about Philips, Bartley, Ajayi, Chalobah, Townsend and Furlong. If we could ship them out too they can be replaced with players at least as good but on less money. I've always liked Philips but we can't afford another 4-5 month season from him. I'd fancy the chance of a fee for Chalobah and the others would have suitors from Champ clubs.

Haven't changed my mind about this funnily enough.
(04-07-2023, 02:01 PM)BradleyFromTheHalfWayLine Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 02:01 PM)BradleyFromTheHalfWayLine Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 12:23 PM)Mr Nimbus Wrote: The only question mark for summer 23 (apart from kids) will be, Rogic?  Worth keeping? Talent but not sure myself and will be on good wages.  Can we find a more mobile number 10?

If you look at the players here until summer 24, the form that both Phillip's and the Bartman showed under CC before injuries suggest that far from being the liability we envisaged on extending, they can both be first 11 come start of season and will be valuable to squad for their final year.

Yes we could do with a real leader either at the back or in CM but that's a valuable commodity, maybe we can add in the fullback area.  Thinking of the impact Clememt, Reid made and also the much maligned Ridgewell, surely they will look at competition for both full backs regardless. 

Maybe a left footed CB, but Pieters must be thinking he's earned another year? Cf I would only expect a loanee as they will be third choice.  Another runner for CM? So Mumby cam ve rested. Hoped TGH might step up, but doesn't seem to have trust of manager yet. 

The big question really is around Grady and Grant?? That's were a lot of our book value still sits.  I'm presuming they will be looking for a loan for Grant, as I dont think he suits the Corberan way.  His exit allows space for a youngster with some real pace to come in, as we nearly did with Hutchinson in the Jan window. 

Grady continues to be the conundrum.  Frustrating for months, then finds some form and gets injured.  Personally think a loan would be best for all, but we continue to hope next season it all comes together again.  At least his book value is going down, so we may even be open to offers.

So if we do fall short, I dont see the need to despair.  Good manager, decent squad (not top 2, but good enough to be in the mixer) and a bit of squad strengthening/freshening leaves us good to go again next year.  After that, who knows?

Rogic, Pieters, Grady, Grant, Button, Kipre and Livermore all need moving on this summer. If that means letting both Grady and Grant go out on loan (or selling Grady for a nominal fee) then it has to happen, no ifs, no buts. With those wages off the books it will be possible to build a squad of promising, hungry younger players and 2-3 Prem loans.

Palmer, Griffiths, O'Shea, Yokuslu, Molumby, Swift, Wallace, Dike and BTA would be the only ones I'd definitely keep. 

Not even sure about Philips, Bartley, Ajayi, Chalobah, Townsend and Furlong. If we could ship them out too they can be replaced with players at least as good but on less money. I've always liked Philips but we can't afford another 4-5 month season from him. I'd fancy the chance of a fee for Chalobah and the others would have suitors from Champ clubs.

Haven't changed my mind about this funnily enough.

Sell one of Palmer or Griffiths and one of Dike or BTA.

We could get money for a keeper and one of Dike or BTA. We'd hardly miss their goals!