Generational politics… well done Millennials
(01-03-2023, 06:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 06:17 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Isn't our government currently pushing through an ill thought through sweeping bill to remove all EU legislation without even checking what is being removed?

No.

Yes

(01-03-2023, 06:29 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 03:34 PM)baggy1 Wrote:  why would that clause / option even be included in the bill unless it would be used to water down rights in the future.

It's included to sunset EU regulations. UK rights are already stronger in most areas of employment law than in most EU countries.

There's no agenda to reduce workers rights that I'm aware of. In any event there'll be an election soon - who on Earth would vote for a party that watered down Equal Pay or Maternity Leave (for instance)? Anyone who believes this has taken leave of their senses.

The government has just (foolishly) extended the right for flexible working FFS - that hardly smacks of a party intent on rolling back workers' rights.

It's an ill thought out bill that looks to remove all EU law from the statute books that was tranferred into UK law in spite of what said EU law actually is or does.

It's stupid and if it isn't blocked it will have unintended consequences because, let's be honest here, the government doesn't know what the EU statutes are or what they do. Any law that does not have parallel UK legislation - which is a lot - is due to be removed no matter what it is and there simply is not enough time to sieve through and analyse each statute.

As for workers rights, the UK government has now announced it's intention to remove the right to withdraw labour in sectors where the public sector is a monopoly employer, excuse me for not trusting them to act in good intentions on workers rights.
(01-03-2023, 06:33 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 06:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 06:17 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Isn't our government currently pushing through an ill thought through sweeping bill to remove all EU legislation without even checking what is being removed?

No.

Yes

(01-03-2023, 03:34 PM)baggy1 Wrote:  why would that clause / option even be included in the bill unless it would be used to water down rights in the future.

It's included to sunset EU regulations. UK rights are already stronger in most areas of employment law than in most EU countries.

There's no agenda to reduce workers rights that I'm aware of. In any event there'll be an election soon - who on Earth would vote for a party that watered down Equal Pay or Maternity Leave (for instance)? Anyone who believes this has taken leave of their senses.

The government has just (foolishly) extended the right for flexible working FFS - that hardly smacks of a party intent on rolling back workers' rights.

It's an ill thought out bill that looks to remove all EU law from the statute books that was tranferred into UK law in spite of what said EU law actually is or does.

It's stupid and if it isn't blocked it will have unintended consequences because, let's be honest here, the government doesn't know what the EU statutes are or what they do. Any law that does not have parallel UK legislation - which is a lot - is due to be removed no matter what it is and there simply is not enough time to sieve through and analyse each statute.

As for workers rights, the UK government has now announced it's intention to remove the right to withdraw labour in sectors where the public sector is a monopoly employer, excuse me for not trusting them to act in good intentions on workers rights.

Proth trying to pretend that his former colleagues are on the side of ‘the people’! It’s a dwindling number of people as they run out of people to blame but themselves for the past twelve years of absolute failure, industrial scale lying and cronyism.

I am worried about your understanding of the basics on this when clearly removing Direct Effect will, by it’s very nature, water down equal pay or maternity leave. Even if it makes no direct impact immediately the fact it doesn’t apply any more means it could impact on the ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’ element - they might be stronger, in parts, now but this removes the obligation to maintain the minimum level from the EU. Does that sound like someone who has taken leave of their senses? It’s just common sense, much like putting trade barriers up with your biggest trading market would be stupid is common sense.

That’s probably ‘Project Fear’ to you though.

And by ‘extending the right for flexible working’ you mean catching up with current practices in the vast majority of offices in the UK then it is hardly going to send shockwaves through the employment market.
(01-03-2023, 08:11 PM)baggy1 Wrote: That’s probably ‘Project Fear’ to you though.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Pathetic scaremongering.
(01-03-2023, 10:15 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 08:11 PM)baggy1 Wrote: That’s probably ‘Project Fear’ to you though.

Just like last time I guess. Fool me once, eh?

Can you explain how you have come to the conclusion that the electorate can trust anything this government says? Please show your working out.
(01-04-2023, 06:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

Just like last time I guess. Fool me once, eh?

That really rather depends on whether you were fooled the first time.
Going back to the OP.

There are for me two main reasons why the Conservative Party is struggling with younger voters and is nit winning them back as they head into their 30s and 40s.

1..the Conservatives place a lot of emphasis on home ownership. To the extent that there is an implication that if you don't own your own home you're a bit of a failure.
The reality is that it is becoming harder to get onto the property ladder. There is an increasing number of young voters who have come to the realisation that despite having good jobs, working hard etc they will never be in a position to own their own home. In short they will be worse off than their parents.
They are taking the view that the current economic policy of the govt is not working for them, and they would be right.

2..the right in this country are becoming increasingly unpleasant and nasty in the way they express their views.
And this is not about  keyboard warriors who write abusive and threatening stuff from a cloak of anonymity. The left have too many if these types as well.
I am talking about mainstream commentators and increasingly Conservative politicians, who appear to revel in expressing opinions that are mean spirited and downright unpleasant.
A recent example was Juila Hartley Brewer's tweet about Greta Thunberg, so unnecessarily nasty.
Can't they see how off putting this behaviour is.
I am all for political debate, and people disagreeing with each other, and if that can be done with a bit if humour all the better.

But then I am probably a snowflake  or woke , or some other term that has come into fashion in the last 10 years , to describe people like me.
Both of those comments are correct.

I came off Twitter early in Covid and stayed off for a long time. On the few occasions I go back it's noticeable what a cesspit it has become. There is nothing positive about the platform at all.
(01-04-2023, 09:54 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Going back to the OP.

There are for me two main reasons why the Conservative Party is struggling with younger voters and is nit winning them back as they head into their 30s and 40s.

1..the Conservatives place a lot of emphasis on home ownership. To the extent that there is an implication that if you don't own your own home you're a bit of a failure.
The reality is that it is becoming harder to get onto the property ladder. There is an increasing number of young voters who have come to the realisation that despite having good jobs, working hard etc they will never be in a position to own their own home. In short they will be worse off than their parents.
They are taking the view that the current economic policy of the govt is not working for them, and they would be right.

2..the right in this country are becoming increasingly unpleasant and nasty in the way they express their views.
And this is not about  keyboard warriors who write abusive and threatening stuff from a cloak of anonymity. The left have too many if these types as well.
I am talking about mainstream commentators and increasingly Conservative politicians, who appear to revel in expressing opinions that are mean spirited and downright unpleasant.
A recent example was Juila Hartley Brewer's tweet about Greta Thunberg, so unnecessarily nasty.
Can't they see how off putting this behaviour is.
I am all for political debate, and people disagreeing with each other, and if that can be done with a bit if humour all the better.

But then I am probably a snowflake  or woke , or some other term that has come into fashion in the last 10 years , to describe people like me.

Completely agree.