That Half-Pint Chinese Cnut, His Overseers And Backers
(10-23-2022, 07:48 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Controversial but I don't blame Lai.

He overpaid for the club. 

From the start he said the club had to be self financing.

Most of the problems the club have are from football related decisions, particularly recruitment related.

Ultimately Lai is responsible for hiring the senior football people he employs and he takes the hit for that in terms of a loss in value of the asset he owns.

But to my mind he is not responsible for what is happening on the pitch. The resources that have been made available should if used well been sufficient.
He is not on the ground so he is reliant on the people he has appointed to look after his asset. Apart from Jenkins, he has got that pretty much 100% wrong which has resulted in dire recruitment of both playing and other staff. That is all on him I'm afraid.

The best thing he could do is contact Jenkins at 9am on Monday, offer a very attractive incentive to a) keep us up and b) get us up within the next x years and tell him to do whatever he needs to achieve that. I would suggest appointing a Sporting Director with a vision, sacking Gourlay and Pearce and then, in conjunction with the new Sporting Director and coach, looking to pay off the wasters whose attitude reeks.
Peace certainly has questions to answer after giving it the big one about selling to someone with the best interests of the club at heart.

Lai obviously knows nothing about football and his appointments made to oversee the football aspect of the business have been a total shambles. I fear the longer we stick with Gourmet the more we are seeing the warnings of Reading fans come true. Despite how much some Albion fans blew smoke up his arseafter we signed Swift, Wallace and he turned up to one of the completely pointless Albion Assembly meetings.

The only small glimmer of hope we currently has is that our inevitable slide into division three will mean Lai givsx up on making any cash back and we find a new buyer. That's all the hope I have at present. I think Corberan represents a step in the right direction and is a good coach, I just hope he outcasts the current ownership otherwise we're likely to just cast another promising young manager onto the scrap heap.
(10-23-2022, 07:48 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Controversial but I don't blame Lai.

Most of the problems the club have are from football related decisions, particularly recruitment related.

Ultimately Lai is responsible for hiring the senior football people he employs and he takes the hit for that in terms of a loss in value of the asset he owns.

But to my mind he is not responsible for what is happening on the pitch. The resources that have been made available should if used well been sufficient.

Although there’s a big difference between not putting any money in (self-financing) and actually taking money out!

I’d love to see a serious journalist doing an interview with Peace to get his thoughts on the current situation.
(10-23-2022, 09:24 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Although there’s a big difference between not putting any money in (self-financing) and actually taking money out!

I’d love to see a serious journalist doing an interview with Peace to get his thoughts on the current situation.

Peace was only given the job so Dowling could move into a more senior role after Jenkins had walked away. As soon as Dowling could see the Chinese were starting to take money out of the club, he could see his head was on the block he did a runner. Peace has just continued to take his pay cheque every month. Kept his head down and mouth shut.
Well that's in Reminomics calculas.
(10-23-2022, 09:52 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 09:24 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Peace was only given the job so Dowling could move into a more senior role after Jenkins had walked away. As soon as Dowling could see the Chinese were starting to take money out of the club, he could see his head was on the block he did a runner. Peace has just continued to take his pay cheque every month. Kept his head down and mouth shut.
Well that's in Reminomics calculas.

I was referring to Peace, not Pearce!

Agree with this.

Peace said he would sell to an owner that would keep the model he'd employed and not risk us by overcommitting to reckless spending and maintain sustainability. Lai has done this.

Lai - in his defence - has until this summer, continually made money available in the same way Peace has... we broke our transfer record continuously under him, and we paid some very heavy wages. We've continued to run with a sizeable budget as a Championship club and attracted top players from other clubs at this level by offering strong packages. 

What Lai has got wrong is continually appointing the wrong people to oversee the club. Trusting Nicky Hammond and John Williams (although the latter was recommended by Peace), interfering with the Terreano appointment, and then appointing his mate's son Ken with his Panini sticker book whilst his mate Ron watched from the corner over the top of his pint of bitter and grumble mag. 

I blame Lai for his rudderless leadership and failure to acknowledge his failings in being utterly incapable of running a European football club and underestimating the abilities required in Western business, but the day to day blame lies firmly in the hands of the likes of Williams, Hammond and Gourlay who've been paid handsome sums to use their experience and expertise in this industry to progress this club, and not their bank balances and waistlines.

(10-23-2022, 08:45 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Peace certainly has questions to answer after giving it the big one about selling to someone with the best interests of the club at heart.

Lai obviously knows nothing about football and his appointments made to oversee the football aspect of the business have been a total shambles. I fear the longer we stick with Gourmet the more we are seeing the warnings of Reading fans come true. Despite how much some Albion fans blew smoke up his arseafter we signed Swift, Wallace and he turned up to one of the completely pointless Albion Assembly meetings.

The only small glimmer of hope we currently has is that our inevitable slide into division three will mean Lai givsx up on making any cash back and we find a new buyer. That's all the hope I have at present. I think Corberan represents a step in the right direction and is a good coach,  I just hope he outcasts the current ownership otherwise we're likely to just cast another promising young manager onto the scrap heap.

Sadly I think relegation would do nothing more than change the "we have no plans to sell the ground currently" to "we have immediate plans to sell the ground"
Maybe Chairman Moi could ask JRP to come back & run the business for him ?
(10-23-2022, 07:48 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Controversial but I don't blame Lai.

He really didn't overpay for a mid table Premiership club with the increased revenues that were scheduled etc... He's overpaid for what he / his puppet masters have turned us into. Had Peace kept the ship going and stabilised us in the Prem for 2 more seasons instead of what happened, then Lai would have ended up with a bargain. It's fine margins.

it's like when people claim we over paid for a regular scoring Prem / Champ striker in Grant. £15m at the time was about the going rate.

I'm in agreement with Saus's opening post though.
(10-23-2022, 07:59 AM)Babel Wrote: Good point, Shabby. The fish rots from the head down, and Lai’s recruitment decisions have been crap.

Peace recommended Williams.  The rot set in there.  Was Peace sowing the seeds for failure to come back 10 yrs later and buy us for a song?   Bit like saying Boris returning as PM is a conspiracy theory.  Wink
(10-23-2022, 12:41 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 07:59 AM)Babel Wrote: Good point, Shabby. The fish rots from the head down, and Lai’s recruitment decisions have been crap.

Peace recommended Williams.  The rot set in there.  Was Peace sowing the seeds for failure to come back 10 yrs later and buy us for a song?   Bit like saying Boris returning as PM is a conspiracy theory.  Wink

A bit like putting shit back in your arse...