Most toothless at set pieces ever?
(10-19-2022, 09:16 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: We had a lot of corners last night, but not for one minute did I feel there was a possibility of a goal. I've felt like that for ages because simply we just don't have the physical presence we once had.

Against Luton and last night we could have played for a month without scoring as there were corners, free kicks and crosses galore without anyone on the end of them.

You have to play a different game with smaller more mobile forwards, but the lack of ingenuity to lump over corners where they had 6ft 3 defenders and us 5ft 9 forwards doesn't require a FIFA coaching badge. It was as basic as it gets.

You have to be able to create space, turn less mobile defenders etc, etc. Look at the build up play differently.

Right now we have in Jed Wallace the best crosser since Brunty, but until we get a hulk like Dike back it's a complete waste of time.

I'm hard pressed to think of a time we have been so rubbish at set pieces and feel flat this morning, as I genuinely went into the ground with a spring in my step last night and then witnessed that appalling display.

Long gone are the days of Pulis when we had the whole defensive unit over 6ft tall.I used to go to the matches and when the players lined up at the start ,I’d look at the opposing team and if they were inferior in height then I just knew they would struggle against us from set pieces.This lot that we have been left with aren’t physically capable of being a threat and even up front we are powder puff.
         On last nights performance,it reminded me of certain performances under Val and this is in no way a criticism of Beale.It was like a 343 with pressure football and players not suited to it in Diangana,Wallace and all the forwards.As was seen under Val it’s imperative that you have a big strong centre forward as the main man ,otherwise everything breaks down as was seen last night and many times under Val as well.
(10-19-2022, 02:15 PM)Huggybear Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 09:16 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: We had a lot of corners last night, but not for one minute did I feel there was a possibility of a goal. I've felt like that for ages because simply we just don't have the physical presence we once had.

Against Luton and last night we could have played for a month without scoring as there were corners, free kicks and crosses galore without anyone on the end of them.

You have to play a different game with smaller more mobile forwards, but the lack of ingenuity to lump over corners where they had 6ft 3 defenders and us 5ft 9 forwards doesn't require a FIFA coaching badge. It was as basic as it gets.

You have to be able to create space, turn less mobile defenders etc, etc. Look at the build up play differently.

Right now we have in Jed Wallace the best crosser since Brunty, but until we get a hulk like Dike back it's a complete waste of time.

I'm hard pressed to think of a time we have been so rubbish at set pieces and feel flat this morning, as I genuinely went into the ground with a spring in my step last night and then witnessed that appalling display.

Long gone are the days of Pulis when we had the whole defensive unit over 6ft tall.I used to go to the matches and when the players lined up at the start ,I’d look at the opposing team and if they were inferior in height then I just knew they would struggle against us from set pieces.This lot that we have been left with aren’t physically capable of being a threat and even up front we are powder puff.
         On last nights performance,it reminded me of certain performances under Val and this is in no way a criticism of Beale.It was like a 343 with pressure football and players not suited to it in Diangana,Wallace and all the forwards.As was seen under Val it’s imperative that you have a big strong centre forward as the main man ,otherwise everything breaks down as was seen last night and many times under Val as well.

The Pulis team was colossal.
Last night's tactics was as pointless as dwarves playing basketball.
(10-19-2022, 09:23 AM)Johnny akes Wrote: Exactly what I said to my mates in the ground Spandau. So much effort going into getting the ball wide, only to send over pointless crosses/corners time & again to non-existent headers. Surely even the players must have known what a wast of time it was so why did they keep doing it?

Tom Ross used to say "cross the ball into the box and you will score goals". I wonder if his view has changed now he has seen us??
Poor set pieces are an indication of the lack of care an attention that has been given to training and organisation in the last year or so. We can't defend them properly and we never look like scoring from one. It's bare minimum stuff and something that any new manager will be judged on for me. Get set pieces right at both ends of the pitch and you can really climb this league given the dearth in real quality.
(10-19-2022, 02:38 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Poor set pieces are an indication of the lack of care an attention that has been given to training and organisation in the last year or so. We can't defend them properly and we never look like scoring from one. It's bare minimum stuff and something that any new manager will be judged on for me. Get set pieces right at both ends of the pitch and you can really climb this league given the dearth in real quality.

Is correct.

Many clubs have a dedicated set piece coach now such is their importance.
We have Brunty available may as well use him in that department.
(10-19-2022, 02:38 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Poor set pieces are an indication of the lack of care an attention that has been given to training and organisation in the last year or so. We can't defend them properly and we never look like scoring from one. It's bare minimum stuff and something that any new manager will be judged on for me. Get set pieces right at both ends of the pitch and you can really climb this league given the dearth in real quality.

Bang on 

Its also one of the easiest areas to improve - along with Grant's first camel-like touch and taking a kebab knife to the arses/bellies of Jakey, Bartley and MP

If you don't have a big man you cross the ball on the ground don't you?  Like Wallace did for the goal yesterday. 

The first thing Corboran needs to do is instill some defensive discipline, if we didn't give away two stupid goals yesterday we'd have won.

The majority of the senior players need to be ditched, Furlong, Townsend, Livermore and Phillips for starters.

Spot on Dike will make a difference. As will Ajayi from set pieces. Say what you like about him but he is a good attacking centre half with a great leap.
Make me wonder what they actually do in training. Who does set piece practices. Probably the same person who advises on how to take a penalty.