WBAUnofficial
Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Most toothless at set pieces ever? (/showthread.php?tid=27230)

Pages: 1 2

Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Spandaubaggie - 10-19-2022

We had a lot of corners last night, but not for one minute did I feel there was a possibility of a goal. I've felt like that for ages because simply we just don't have the physical presence we once had.

Against Luton and last night we could have played for a month without scoring as there were corners, free kicks and crosses galore without anyone on the end of them.

You have to play a different game with smaller more mobile forwards, but the lack of ingenuity to lump over corners where they had 6ft 3 defenders and us 5ft 9 forwards doesn't require a FIFA coaching badge. It was as basic as it gets.

You have to be able to create space, turn less mobile defenders etc, etc. Look at the build up play differently.

Right now we have in Jed Wallace the best crosser since Brunty, but until we get a hulk like Dike back it's a complete waste of time.

I'm hard pressed to think of a time we have been so rubbish at set pieces and feel flat this morning, as I genuinely went into the ground with a spring in my step last night and then witnessed that appalling display.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Johnny akes - 10-19-2022

Exactly what I said to my mates in the ground Spandau. So much effort going into getting the ball wide, only to send over pointless crosses/corners time & again to non-existent headers. Surely even the players must have known what a wast of time it was so why did they keep doing it?

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Spandaubaggie - 10-19-2022

(10-19-2022, 09:23 AM)Johnny akes Wrote: Exactly what I said to my mates in the ground Spandau. So much effort going into getting the ball wide, only to send over pointless crosses/corners time & again to non-existent headers. Surely even the players must have known what a wast of time it was so why did they keep doing it?

Yes, it's bewildering. I honestly don't pretend to be a fantastic reader of football, but considering the years of people involved in the club thinking a medium height man is going to win headers galore v very tall men is madness. 

There's many good normal sized headers of the ball, but generally they play alongside big guys who cause havoc and create the space. Shearer wasn't overly tall and before him I recall Speedie and Kevin Phillips scoring many headers, but that was when taller forwards had dragged defenders away allowing less challenge. 

Also with faster forwards you have to play on the break more. Everything was set up last night for Bristol C and Pearson must have laughed all the way down the M5 as Doris the tea lady couldn't have had a worse game plan.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - DemonicBaggie - 10-19-2022

The feeling I get watching Albion's attacking ploys is akin to seeing a boxer with a 3 feet reach standing 4 feet away from the punchbag.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - MassDebater - 10-19-2022

It's been the same since Val inexplicably got us lumping in crosses to Dike who he'd not even bought at the time, and then after Dike came and got injured. Then for some reason Bruce carried on the tradition...then last night Beale did the same...

It's pretty unfathomable as to why 3 managers kept on doing the same thing, and getting the same zero result from it. Totally baffling.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Gzbaggy - 10-19-2022

We also currently do not have Ajayi and Barclay for set pieces. At the start of last season we scored a few goals from open play/set pieces from crosses by
Townsend. He has known for about a year that most of his crosses will be met by defenders and his confidence has probably suffered because of this. Wallace is finding out the same thing. We do not have a good header for attacking unless Cleary is good in the air, until Ajayi, Barclay, Furlong or Dike get back in the team 9

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Bob Fossil - 10-19-2022

(10-19-2022, 09:51 AM)DemonicBaggie Wrote: The feeling I get watching Albion's attacking ploys is akin to seeing a boxer with a 3 feet reach standing 4 feet away from the punchbag.
Big Grin
Have you ever seen Tim Vine's "Pen behind the ear" skit?
That's what it reminds me of.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - Woodman scoreboard - 10-19-2022

Without shit beard we have no threat at all .

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - baggiebloke - 10-19-2022

Reminds me of Nobby Stiles.

RE: Most toothless at set pieces ever? - SophLad - 10-19-2022

Was it Kim who did the last minute corner at Wembley? That must be the most toothless set piece ever.