The 'Not a Budget' budget
If you earn £1 million you are going to be raking in an extra £55,000 after these tax cuts

If you are on £10,000 a year - you get nothing. Not a penny
(09-24-2022, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If you earn £1 million you are going to be raking in an extra £55,000 after these tax cuts

If you were on 10k a year wouldn’t that be below the allowable hourly rate your employee should legally pay you?
End of the day Proth is the same right wing libertarian thing as any big state tax & spend ulrta lefty oppo. He is guilty of magical thinking. His thoughts shape his reality, beliefs firmly held, no further exploration is needed; if it was all done my way (Maggies way?) then everything would be fine. The NHS & the economy running on gas (LOL) Fucking save us from these Tory loons.
(09-24-2022, 07:56 AM)Fido Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 07:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If you earn £1 million you are going to be raking in an extra £55,000 after these tax cuts

If you were on 10k a year wouldn’t that be below the allowable hourly rate your employee should legally pay you?

Not everyone works full time hours; although those that don't may be required to explain themselves.
(09-24-2022, 08:37 AM)Ossian Wrote:

Not everyone works full time hours; although those that don't may be required to explain themselves.

This wasn't meant to be a "Tebbitt-Get-On-Your-Bike"-type statement but more keeping to a specific response to a specific point. This was primarily a tax-based mini-budget and if you are earning 10k per year then that doesn't feature as you wouldn't be paying any income tax. I'm just interested in what Derek might have expected or any suggestions as to what would have made sense.

As a country we have abused credit over the last generation and this has been fuelled by low interest rates. I suppose a part of the reason for the divide in opinion is that of personal responsibility against what the government dictates money should be spent on. As neither is wholly effective we're really arguing about which shade of grey we find ourselves in.
Personally I think that if we can continue to triple-lock guarantee state pensions then we should be able to do the same for minimum wage.

Otherwise we just continue to make rationalisations to finesse away the fact that some appear to be sacrosanct while others remain marginalised.

(By the way, protected though they may be, UK state pensions are dismal by most western European standards)
(09-24-2022, 08:57 AM)Fido Wrote:

This wasn't meant to be a "Tebbitt-Get-On-Your-Bike"-type statement but more keeping to a specific response to a specific point. This was primarily a tax-based mini-budget and if you are earning 10k per year then that doesn't feature as you wouldn't be paying any income tax. I'm just interested in what Derek might have expected or any suggestions as to what would have made sense.

As a country we have abused credit over the last generation and this has been fuelled by low interest rates. I suppose a part of the reason for the divide in opinion is that of personal responsibility against what the government dictates money should be spent on. As neither is wholly effective we're really arguing about which shade of grey we find ourselves in.
I agree that credit has been abused, that is why I am so against our own government being the leading example of bad debt. I am seriously riled at the idea that my grandkids will be expected to pay my electric bills. There are actually opportunities arising in this energy crisis, none of which the govt are embracing.
We have stumbled through covid and now a war. FFS, anyone in the real world would accept we need to pay for this through our taxes  and not borrow our way out.
(09-24-2022, 09:30 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 08:57 AM)Fido Wrote:

I agree that credit has been abused, that is why I am so against our own government being the leading example of bad debt. I am seriously riled at the idea that my grandkids will be expected to pay my electric bills. There are actually opportunities arising in this energy crisis, none of which the govt are embracing.
We have stumbled through covid and now a war. FFS, anyone in the real world would accept we need to pay for this through our taxes  and not borrow our way out.

The energy companies should be taking the hit on their obscene profits first and foremost,
(09-24-2022, 07:25 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: My take from this post is that Proth thinks that his buddy, Said Javid, should be hung drawn and quartered.

Your *only* take from that post is a metaphor?

OK.

What would you actually expect to get as a non-taxpayer? I'm curious.

And to be honest there aren't many people grossing £1 million a year who are on PAYE, so I suspect you'd be able to count on one hand those "raking in" an extra £55,000 - and when you find out who they are you can suggest they get a better accountant.
(09-24-2022, 04:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 07:25 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: My take from this post is that Proth thinks that his buddy, Said Javid, should be hung drawn and quartered.

Your *only* take from that post is a metaphor?

OK.

What would you actually expect to get as a non-taxpayer? I'm curious.

And to be honest there aren't many people grossing £1 million a year who are on PAYE, so I suspect you'd be able to count on one hand those "raking in" an extra £55,000 - and when you find out who they are you can suggest they get a better accountant.

You do realise that some people who don’t pay tax are for example full time carers for sick and disabled children and for that sacrifice of their life and career they get approx £69.70 a week? Even taking into account the extra money for the disabled this winter it’s a pathetic amount given the cost of living increases. They watch on as very well off people disproportionately receive tax cuts running into the thousands, borrowed without any real evidence, quite the contrary that this irresponsible gambling of the countries finances will work. 

Immoral, devoid of empathy and driven purely by greed and self interest. I hope these ERG driven policies see the Tories out of power for decades. They don’t represent the interests of the country as a whole but a very small cabal of right wing, free market ultra’s who would throw anyone under a big red bus emblazoned with lies for a profit!