Fao: Tom Joad (uncontroversial content)...
(09-19-2022, 07:24 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I think it's a bit like tools as well. A mechanic will always recommend Teng, or similar because they are brilliant in everyday use, but expensive.

If you use them once in a blue moon like me, cheaper alternatives are passable, but would not stand up to the rigours of professional life.

Normal people don't spend £3.5k on a Teng tools toolkit?
(09-19-2022, 07:30 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 07:24 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I think it's a bit like tools as well. A mechanic will always recommend Teng, or similar because they are brilliant in everyday use, but expensive.

If you use them once in a blue moon like me, cheaper alternatives are passable, but would not stand up to the rigours of professional life.

Well I certainly wouldn't and haven't. I inherited some decent old fashioned tools off my Grandad, and added sensibly along the way. 

I need a new cordless drill, for example, but doubt I'll pay more than £50 - £100 for it. It only needs to drill holes for wall plugs, flat-pack etc.
(09-19-2022, 05:16 PM)Ossian Wrote: Thanks Tom, I'll have a look at the Stihl suggestion.

I'm with you when it comes to pull cords: I have a 2-stroke strimmer that's an absolute pig to get going when it's been away for the winter, and if the mixture has even slightly too much oil it smokes like one of those old East German cars. Then, for some reason, if it starts, runs for a couple of minutes and then cuts out, I have to leave it alone for about quarter of an hour.

You should see the smoke from my 2 stroke Vespa with double the stated oil to fuel mixture.  I’d rather blow smoke than blow the engine. Easy to start when you know how…. Turn fuel on and kick it over a few times with the ignition turned off to let the fuel / oil get around the barrel.  Same with my Stihl strimmer, pump the fuel / oil into the barrel, remove spark plug lead and pull the cord a couple of times.  Cap back on a pull again. Bingo!
(09-19-2022, 07:35 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 07:30 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Well I certainly wouldn't and haven't. I inherited some decent old fashioned tools off my Grandad, and added sensibly along the way. 

I need a new cordless drill, for example, but doubt I'll pay more than £50 - £100 for it. It only needs to drill holes for wall plugs, flat-pack etc.

Bosch rechargeables are great for DIY jobs.