Fao: Tom Joad (uncontroversial content)...
Tom, I think you're the man for this: does anybody do a decent cordless chainsaw without needing to take out a mortgage? I've got an old 2KW corded model which is on its last legs and would prefer to avoid going down the petrol route.

Doesn't need to be Forestry Commission powerful; just garden work and the occasional smaller birch or cherry.

Thanks in advance.
(09-19-2022, 03:23 PM)Ossian Wrote: Tom, I think you're the man for this: does anybody do a decent cordless chainsaw without needing to take out a mortgage? I've got an old 2KW corded model which is on its last legs and would prefer to avoid going down the petrol route.

Doesn't need to be Forestry Commission powerful; just garden work and the occasional smaller birch, a fat Geordie neck or cherry.

Thanks in advance.

Edited pal
Hi Oss. Try the Stihl MSA200. About £280 plus you'll need a battery probably another 150 quid. Biggish investment but absolutely faultless. Plus you can use the battery for any of their other gear. Light and easy to handle plus non of that pull cord nonsense, it all goes off a trigger.
(09-19-2022, 04:17 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Hi Oss. Try the Stihl MSA200. About £280 plus you'll need a battery probably another 150 quid. Biggish investment but absolutely faultless. Plus you can use the battery for any of their other gear. Light and easy to handle plus non of that pull cord nonsense, it all goes off a trigger.

ProBlem pal? I LIKE a pull cord.
(09-19-2022, 04:29 PM)hudds Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 04:17 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Hi Oss. Try the Stihl MSA200. About £280 plus you'll need a battery probably another 150 quid. Biggish investment but absolutely faultless. Plus you can use the battery for any of their other gear. Light and easy to handle plus non of that pull cord nonsense, it all goes off a trigger.

ProBlem pal? I LIKE a pull cord.

Nah, that's something I don't miss, especially when it cuts out at the top of a ladder. Its cordless all the way for me now.
Thanks Tom, I'll have a look at the Stihl suggestion.

I'm with you when it comes to pull cords: I have a 2-stroke strimmer that's an absolute pig to get going when it's been away for the winter, and if the mixture has even slightly too much oil it smokes like one of those old East German cars. Then, for some reason, if it starts, runs for a couple of minutes and then cuts out, I have to leave it alone for about quarter of an hour.
Crikey, you lot will be banging on about electric mowers next  Big Grin
Ossian Wrote:Thanks Tom, I'll have a look at the Stihl suggestion.

I'm with you when it comes to pull cords: I have a 2-stroke strimmer that's an absolute pig to get going when it's been away for the winter, and if the mixture has even slightly too much oil it smokes like one of those old East German cars. Then, for some reason, if it starts, runs for a couple of minutes and then cuts out, I have to leave it alone for about quarter of an hour.

Might be worth looking into a cordless strimmer too! I really recommend the Stihl stuff. Like any tool though, the tip is to have all the same make as you don't want numerous chargers and batteries AOTS.
(09-19-2022, 03:23 PM)Ossian Wrote: Tom, I think you're the man for this: does anybody do a decent cordless chainsaw without needing to take out a mortgage? I've got an old 2KW corded model which is on its last legs and would prefer to avoid going down the petrol route.

Doesn't need to be Forestry Commission powerful; just garden work and the occasional smaller birch or cherry.

Thanks in advance.

I too have been looking for one as I already have petrol and corded.
Both Aldi and Lidl have had them in recently for £100 (incl battery and charger) - hopefully they will be getting them in again.
I think it's a bit like tools as well. A mechanic will always recommend Teng, or similar because they are brilliant in everyday use, but expensive.

If you use them once in a blue moon like me, cheaper alternatives are passable, but would not stand up to the rigours of professional life.