That’s ten games
No, we’re talking about two different things. the argument that Val needed 4 transfer windows or Bruce needed 4 transfer windows is nonsense.

I agree that the longer we’re here the weaker we’ll probably get.

WRT the Bilic comments in the Prem it feels like you’re just trying to start an argument. My position was that the team with the weakest players on paper aren’t always the ones that go down. Thats not a daft argument at all. To think it is would make all the managerial discussions pointless anyway because it’s only player quality that impacts how you do.
(09-21-2022, 10:17 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:09 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 09:56 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 09:51 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: But our budget has decreased also - Bruce will have known when he was appointed that if he failed in his brief to get us promoted last season - which he managed to do spectacularly - that his budget would fall due to the reduced PPs.

I’d wager even with Lai’s dubious accounting he’s dealing with a budget in the top 6 for the division.

How many players did we go on for where there was an amount to pay? Mulumby we had no option but to buy.  So that leaves a £300k signing, which is less than one player leaving on £6k per week. 

We’re skint.

Bruce stayed in the Summer that players have to leave to be in a position to bring new players in.

Exactly. When people talked about projects and long term plans (Val needs two, three, four transfer windows) they didn’t factor in we haven’t got a pot to piss in / owner prepared to invest further money past his initial outlay on the club. He said it would be self sufficient when he bought the club and once the parachute payments are gone so is our advantage over most of the division. 

You know Birmingham City? That’s you, that is!

I've only ever seen this when talking about Bruce. In hindsight Val was doing ok after 2 transfer windows despite having the impossible task of replacing Pereira.

Bruce not so much.

You weren’t paying attention then Wink  

Val’s (last years) transfer are no better than Bruce’s but let’s not go down the rabbit hole again about the  lack of merit of each manager.
Bruce is doing rubbish and surely near last chance saloon, but our dismal form in this division has been ever since Ishmael's experiment derailed spectacularly. He wasn't doing OK- you're one of a few who defend him. After his great start it was as poor on the eye as anything under Pulis.
We were in bottom six form for a couple of months, dropping like a stone and playing truly atrocious football when Ishmael was dismissed. 
Our form is roughly on par with when Ishmael left and Bruce hasn't stopped that pattern of results.
The question is how much the board think Bruce is to blame and when will patience run out and what's the plan next?
(09-21-2022, 11:55 AM)Sliced Wrote: No, we’re talking about two different things.  the argument that Val needed 4 transfer windows or Bruce needed 4 transfer windows is nonsense.

WRT the Bilic comments in the Prem it feels like you’re just trying to start an argument. My position was that the team with the weakest players on paper aren’t always the ones that go down. Thats not a daft argument at all. To think it is would make all the managerial discussions pointless anyway because it’s only player quality that impacts how you do.

There is a point where the quality or lack of makes it impossible to stay up, particularly if you’ve built your team to play open football. 

I wasn’t arguing Bruce or Val should be afforded several transfer windows just the opposite we imo need instant results and promotion or we are heading to mid-table Championship obscurity at best.
(09-21-2022, 12:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 11:55 AM)Sliced Wrote: No, we’re talking about two different things.  the argument that Val needed 4 transfer windows or Bruce needed 4 transfer windows is nonsense.

There is a point where the quality or lack of makes it impossible to stay up, particularly if you’ve built your team to play open football. 

I wasn’t arguing Bruce or Val should be afforded several transfer windows just the opposite we imo need instant results and promotion or we are heading to mid-table Championship obscurity at best.

So that's the manager's choice isn't it?

It's incredibly unlikely that we were going to stay up that season and I overestimated our quality at the time. However, is it impossible? No. We dropped 8 points against Fulham and Sheffield United and a further 7 against Burnley and Southampton. It's not impossible that we could've taken more points from those games.

There is a point where the lack of quality makes it impossible, but that level is nowhere near what you seem to think it is. That Derby team who won 1 all season are the only one in PL history that come close.
(09-21-2022, 12:14 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Bruce is doing rubbish and surely near last chance saloon, but our dismal form in this division has been ever since Ishmael's experiment derailed spectacularly. He wasn't doing OK- you're one of a few who defend him. After his great start it was as poor on the eye as anything under Pulis.
We were in bottom six form for a couple of months, dropping like a stone and playing truly atrocious football when Ishmael was dismissed. 
Our form is roughly on par with when Ishmael left and Bruce hasn't stopped that pattern of results.
The question is how much the board think Bruce is to blame and when will patience run out and what's the plan next?

I wish it was as poor as it was under Pulis, we used to finish halfway up the Premier League.
(09-21-2022, 12:14 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:17 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:09 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 09:56 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: How many players did we go on for where there was an amount to pay? Mulumby we had no option but to buy.  So that leaves a £300k signing, which is less than one player leaving on £6k per week. 

We’re skint.

Bruce stayed in the Summer that players have to leave to be in a position to bring new players in.

Exactly. When people talked about projects and long term plans (Val needs two, three, four transfer windows) they didn’t factor in we haven’t got a pot to piss in / owner prepared to invest further money past his initial outlay on the club. He said it would be self sufficient when he bought the club and once the parachute payments are gone so is our advantage over most of the division. 

You know Birmingham City? That’s you, that is!

I've only ever seen this when talking about Bruce. In hindsight Val was doing ok after 2 transfer windows despite having the impossible task of replacing Pereira.

Bruce not so much.

You weren’t paying attention then Wink  

Val’s (last years) transfer are no better than Bruce’s but let’s not go down the rabbit hole again about the  lack of merit of each manager.
Bruce is doing rubbish and surely near last chance saloon, but our dismal form in this division has been ever since Ishmael's experiment derailed spectacularly. He wasn't doing OK- you're one of a few who defend him. After his great start it was as poor on the eye as anything under Pulis.

We’d need money to pay off Bruce and money to compensate a club if we appoint a manager contravened to another club.  Money we haven’t got.  What money we have is in the provision for dividends account and not in the provision for new manager account. 

This reminds me of an episode of only fools and horses

[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Rodney – One: We are traders who have nothing to sell, right?[/font]
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Del – Yeah![/font]
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Rodney – Two: We are traders who have no money to buy with. Correct?[/font]
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Rodney – Hang on! Three… (Checks notepad) Oh no, there ain’t a three! So, the solution to our problem is thus: We have to find a way of making money out of nothing![/font]
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Del and Albert – Yeah?[/font]
[font=-apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol"]Rodney – Oh, I don’t know how we do it, that’s the answer![/font]
Perhaps Lai will conclude the only way to recoup his investment is to spunk our way out of the division?
(09-21-2022, 01:56 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Perhaps Lai will conclude the only way to recoup his investment is to spunk our way out of the division?

Can't imagine Lai wanking himself off in front of the Brummie Road following a relegation on the final day of the season going down too well  Big Grin .
(09-21-2022, 01:56 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Perhaps Lai will conclude the only way to recoup his investment is to spunk our way out of the division?

Lai is very probably looking at the £6 million he sanctioned to buy Dike and got us nowhere. Reluctant to spend millions more. It's a vital time now, do we Chuck £20 million at 3 or 4 new players and make a fight of getting back up or face a £45 million drop in revenue as the parachute payments end.
Either way without promotion we will be bankrupt next season.