Car parking
Cannot believe that those travelling a distance do not park near Smethwick High St/Blue Gates or better still Smethwick Labour Club, easy to get a drink, and just a fiver in a taxi up, 15/20 min walk back and so much easier to get away after.
(08-21-2022, 04:44 PM)BaggieBaggieBromBrom Wrote: Something very 70s and shit about driving to games

I could catch 3 buses across a period of 2 hours (each way) like I did in the 80s.

Or go by bicycle like my dad did in the 50s. 

But they sound even more shit.
(08-21-2022, 05:12 PM)Supamart Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 04:44 PM)BaggieBaggieBromBrom Wrote: Something very 70s and shit about driving to games

Why, have you got a Cortina ?

He's the chairman of the Morris Marina owner club...
(08-21-2022, 11:42 AM)Fido Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 11:15 AM)garryowensneck Wrote: Welcome back to the "post" covid rip off World.

There is a lot of that, it seems. 

The problem is that certain vendors have put prices up (the leisure industry is a good example of this) and you can understand them trying to claw back some of their losses over the past couple of years. However, you know that prices rarely go down after they've gone up. We just got back from France where we'd hired an AirBnB for a week. When the host got there he asked if we wanted to pay €160 for cleaning at the end of the stay (this was on top of the enormous amount he'd taken off us for a week). We asked why it wasn't covered and he said it was due to cleaning for Covid. Seeing as my missus always clears up whenever we leave a place it seemed daft to pay it but I'm sure many people would have coughed for someone to come in and pass a mop over the floors for an hour or two.

Some of our most recent bookings in Scotland have been via AirBnB, and so far we've found the accommodation to be easily comparable with anything we've previously found via sites like Cottages.com, Sykes, or Vrbo.

One of the things I do like about AirBnB is that some of the renters are open to flexible length of stay and don't insist on the traditional 7-day, Saturday to Saturday turnaround. Some of the island properties were still a bit paranoid about Covid, even well into 2022, including a couple who had elected not to provide bedlinen and towels. Enhanced cleaning has been separately itemised on some of the properties we've looked at, but always included in the up-front payment and not suggested as an additional on arrival.
(08-21-2022, 12:07 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 11:42 AM)Fido Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 11:15 AM)garryowensneck Wrote: Welcome back to the "post" covid rip off World.

There is a lot of that, it seems. 

The problem is that certain vendors have put prices up (the leisure industry is a good example of this) and you can understand them trying to claw back some of their losses over the past couple of years. However, you know that prices rarely go down after they've gone up. We just got back from France where we'd hired an AirBnB for a week. When the host got there he asked if we wanted to pay €160 for cleaning at the end of the stay (this was on top of the enormous amount he'd taken off us for a week). We asked why it wasn't covered and he said it was due to cleaning for Covid. Seeing as my missus always clears up whenever we leave a place it seemed daft to pay it but I'm sure many people would have coughed for someone to come in and pass a mop over the floors for an hour or two.

No wonder Air BnB is starting to die off. Hotels just let you stay in them.

Sadly not true. Arrived at our hotel in St Lucia, they whacked us with a $140 USD resort fee, for feck all, allegedly for cov I'd stuff, but there's nowt being done...
The Brasshouse Community Centre, (which last season was taken over by a franchise where it was best to pay in advance) was £10, but is back at £5.