Grant
(07-20-2022, 10:13 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Look at the others - I didn't realise Diang contribution for 42 appearances was so poor.
Diangana 2 goals + 1 assist.
Phillips 3 Goals
Hugill 1 Goal
Reach 2 Goals
Carroll 3 Goals
Mowatt 4 Goals
Grant commands respect with 18.

Massive respect. 

Add to Grant; 

#assists in brackets

Swift - 11 (13)
Dike - 22 (?? - goals only pro-rata to Barnsley loan)
Wallace - 6 (12)  

Gayle???
(07-20-2022, 10:13 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Look at the others - I didn't realise Diang contribution for 42 appearances was so poor.
Diangana 2 goals + 1 assist.
Phillips 3 Goals
Hugill 1 Goal
Reach 2 Goals
Carroll 3 Goals
Mowatt 4 Goals
Grant commands respect with 18.
Perfect illustration of the fact that, in terms of goalscoring AND assists, we had many problems, but Grant wasn't one!.

Put it this way, if Grant contributes exactly the same this season and Dike, Swift, Wallace, Grady + a new striker treble the contribution of the rest stated above (sounds a lot but really isn't), we will, almost certainly, be top 6.
Our goalscoring issue last season were those coming from midfield (minimal - particularly when you go back to compare the numbers Koren, Koumas, Gera, Texeira would get)….hopefully Swift & Wallace will sort that out
(07-20-2022, 10:08 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 10:06 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I'm not blaming Grant fir his fee.

In fact, I've defended him a lot. He has genuinely tried to be more too, as said, he worked hard on his fitness levels too. He's a goalscoring wide forward, he knows it, tbf, Bruce knows it. Val knew it. Bilic and Dowling didn't.

But we seem to want creative wide forwards, delivering to goal scoring centre forwards. He is neither (not his fault). Square peg in a round hole.

If Grant's a square peg in a round hole I don't know what some of the others are. 

It could be argued we played to his strengths last season and he scored 18, had 6 assists and missed two pens.  How many wide forwards get anywhere near that,  only Wiemann surprisingly last season, with 22.

Not forgetting we were utterly shite last season and he still scored 18!
(07-20-2022, 06:23 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

In fact, I've defended him a lot. He has genuinely tried to be more too, as said, he worked hard on his fitness levels too. He's a goalscoring wide forward, he knows it, tbf, Bruce knows it. Val knew it. Bilic and Dowling didn't.

But we seem to want creative wide forwards, delivering to goal scoring centre forwards. He is neither (not his fault). Square peg in a round hole.

If Grant's a square peg in a round hole I don't know what some of the others are. 

It could be argued we played to his strengths last season and he scored 18, had 6 assists and missed two pens.  How many wide forwards get anywhere near that,  only Wiemann surprisingly last season, with 22.

The others are shite. What we have with Grant is a player that doesn't suit our style of play.
(07-20-2022, 07:34 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 06:23 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

The others are shite. What we have with Grant is a player that doesn't suit our style of play.

No, what we have is no style of play!
I just wish people would leave the guy alone. He's far from technically gifted and is a bit of a hybrid player in that he's not a no9, but neither is he intelligent enough to be a creator. However the guy has won me over. He never gives less than 100%, he has an eye for goal and can finish. He got 18 goals last season in an under-performing mid-table team that didn't create much. It's not his fault we massively overpaid for him, or played him in positions he doesn't like in systems that don't suit. I don't know what system we will employ this season, but i reckon if he plays the majority of games, with Swift and Wallace creating chances, KG will get 20+ goals for us.
(07-20-2022, 08:20 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I just wish people would leave the guy alone. He's far from technically gifted and is a bit of a hybrid player in that he's not a no9, but neither is he intelligent enough to be a creator. However the guy has won me over. He never gives less than 100%, he has an eye for goal and can finish. He got 18 goals last season in an under-performing mid-table team that didn't create much. It's not his fault we massively overpaid for him, or played him in positions he doesn't like in systems that don't suit. I don't know what system we will employ this season, but i reckon if he plays the majority of games, with Swift and Wallace creating chances, KG will get 20+ goals for us.

My thoughts too. I'm puzzled that of all the underperforming, gutless wet wipes we employed last season, our top scorer gets criticism because he isn't Gary bloody Lineker.
(07-20-2022, 08:20 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I just wish people would leave the guy alone. He's far from technically gifted and is a bit of a hybrid player in that he's not a no9, but neither is he intelligent enough to be a creator. However the guy has won me over. He never gives less than 100%, he has an eye for goal and can finish. He got 18 goals last season in an under-performing mid-table team that didn't create much. It's not his fault we massively overpaid for him, or played him in positions he doesn't like in systems that don't suit. I don't know what system we will employ this season, but i reckon if he plays the majority of games, with Swift and Wallace creating chances, KG will get 20+ goals for us.

All I would ask those giving him stick is were they at the Hawthorns for the Blues match? He made the match-winning goal out of nothing and that won us the game.

I'll go one further: he's better then Rondon was for starters.
(07-20-2022, 11:20 PM)Squid Wrote:

All I would ask those giving him stick is were they at the Hawthorns for the Blues match? He made the match-winning goal out of nothing and that won us the game.

I'll go one further: he's better then Rondon was for starters.

Of course. Rondon played 140 games for a top flight club, scoring 35 goals   1 in 4.

Grant scored five in thirty five top flight games.

And we got money back for Rondon.

Am I missing something?