The Quadruple
(05-08-2022, 10:51 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(05-08-2022, 10:02 AM)wba13 Wrote: Well I think City should sack him,3 prems 1FA cup and 3 league cups is rubbish. But don’t sack him till xmas when we need a new manager. Pep for me is the best manager out there just needs a striker slice Aguero left.

He could have bought a striker. He chose to pursue Grealish instead.

What does that say?

Persue Grealish? Didn't he persue Kane then when that fell through he then went for Grealish? It seemed to me that he went all in for Kane then when it failed he had £100m burning a hole in his pocket.

I thought the Greasy move looked silly at the time given they were crying out for a striker. Why not just hold on to the cash. I can't see that Greasy has added anything at all to City.
(05-08-2022, 10:02 AM)wba13 Wrote: Well I think City should sack him,3 prems 1FA cup and 3 league cups is rubbish. But don’t sack him till xmas when we need a new manager. Pep for me is the best manager out there just needs a striker slice Aguero left.

What does that say?
It said a lot, to me anyway. Kane was the obvious choice yet he chose a player who plays in the same position as they already have options for. I've always said, Pep overthinks everything.
 Barca, Bayern and now Man City, its marginal really how much they might have won had they appointed anyone else.
(05-08-2022, 11:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:

What does that say?
It said a lot, to me anyway. Kane was the obvious choice yet he chose a player who plays in the same position as they already have options for. I've always said, Pep overthinks everything.
 Barca, Bayern and now Man City, its marginal really how much they might have won had they appointed anyone else.

He didn’t opt for Grealish over Kane though. Levy put a stop to the move with a ridiculous fee. Even for City’s standards. 

Haaland looks set for City anyway this Summer. Be interesting to see how that unfolds. In my view, with him, they’ll probably win everything that’s possible for them.
(05-08-2022, 11:22 AM)Peachy Wrote:

What does that say?

Persue Grealish? Didn't he persue Kane then when that fell through he then went for Grealish? It seemed to me that he went all in for Kane then when it failed he had £100m burning a hole in his pocket.

I thought the Greasy move looked silly at the time given they were crying out for a striker. Why not just hold on to the cash. I can't see that Greasy has added anything at all to City.

Grealish was signed before Kane was approached. Even a club as rich as City still has budgets and they chose to focus first on a luxury they didn’t really need rather than securing what they clearly did need.

Much like United spending £75m on Sancho when everyone could see they needed a central midfielder.

I partly agree with that, although it has seemed to me over the last couple of seasons that the balance in City's play has moved too much in favour of creation and sometimes to the detriment of finishing. The perfect goal is an elusive thing and there seems to be a modern philosophy - and City aren't the only culprits - where traditional solutions like getting the ball out wide and putting a cross into the box are almost seen as too crude to contemplate. Ironically it's a tactic Real have employed to good effect throughout their stuttering run to the CL final.

Maybe it's been going on for longer than I suggest and Aguero was papering over cracks already there. Certainly any team who can create 3 consecutive seasons of 20+ goals for Raheem Sterling must be generating plenty of opportunities. As it stands City don't have a proper Number 9, nor do they have a player who can run beyond the back line and reliably convert the one-on-ones - a player like Son, for example.

And Kratos, before you call Guardiola a fraud again take a look at the situation he inherited at Barcelona when he took over from Rijkaard, then a look at what he created, won, and the legacy he left for his successors.