Songs that you hated in younger years and still do now
(05-06-2022, 04:06 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 03:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Lady in Red by the midget adulterer Chris De Burgh as well as everything else by him. Loathsome creepy weirdo.

My old man met him on a train once and said he was a right cunt.

Same happened to me when I was rushing to a soon to depart train. As I sat down he gave me this advice:

“Don’t pay the fare, man, until he gets you to the other side”

Ended up getting a fine. What a wanker.
(05-06-2022, 05:43 PM)Fido Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 03:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Lady in Red by the midget adulterer Chris De Burgh as well as everything else by him. Loathsome creepy weirdo.

Same happened to me when I was rushing to a soon to depart train. As I sat down he gave me this advice:

:-)

(05-06-2022, 04:31 PM)johntoewba Wrote: The power of fucking love by Jennifer cunting rush. Fucking loathed it when it came out could smash the bastard radio up if it comes on the radio now

Are you a Huey?

Or a Frankie?
(05-06-2022, 02:03 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Most of the songs mentioned from 1981 are ones I either like or love. But they're from a particularly rarified time in my life and I have an unhealthy and uneasy relationship with nostalgia. I have to be in a certain kind of mood to be able to listen to them.

Peak choon for this sort of thing is 'I'm in love with a German film star' by The Passions. Absolutely love it, but it can make me feel quite morose if it catches me at the wrong time.

As for a hated song; I'd go for 'Sexual Healing' by Marvin Gaye. No real reason. It just always bored me to tears.

I had a feeling 'Timewarp' would be up there for you?  Big Grin

He should have gone by ferry.
(05-06-2022, 11:50 AM)Fido Wrote: Not necessarily that the songs were shite but just the feeling you get from them. Was just reminded of this by a jingle emanating from Radio 2 in the kitchen:

Souvenir by OMD. 

Still reminiscent of moving from a tiny village primary school to a "big" new middle school age 9 in 1981. Was played nearly every day on the coach to school and still get a slight, funny "nervous" feel from it even 41 years on, as weird as that may sound. Remember having to wear a blazer as my folks had forked out for one even though nearly every other fugger didn't bother. 

Other songs from that year are similar - Golden Brown (Stranglers) and Pretend (Alvin Stardust) but not quite the same as the OMD one.

Interesting.   Enola Gay makes me want to kick the telly in even now.   Is it the music or the face ?
(05-06-2022, 06:35 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 11:50 AM)Fido Wrote: Not necessarily that the songs were shite but just the feeling you get from them. Was just reminded of this by a jingle emanating from Radio 2 in the kitchen:

Souvenir by OMD. 

Still reminiscent of moving from a tiny village primary school to a "big" new middle school age 9 in 1981. Was played nearly every day on the coach to school and still get a slight, funny "nervous" feel from it even 41 years on, as weird as that may sound. Remember having to wear a blazer as my folks had forked out for one even though nearly every other fugger didn't bother. 

Other songs from that year are similar - Golden Brown (Stranglers) and Pretend (Alvin Stardust) but not quite the same as the OMD one.

Interesting.   Enola Gay makes me want to kick the telly in even now.   Is it the music or the face ?

Tainted Love/Where did our love go from this era - always on in clubs and drove me round the bend!  Angry
Another vote for Come On, Eileen.
(05-06-2022, 01:54 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 01:25 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Come on Eileen FFS. Loathed it then. Loathe it now.

I could upload a picture, but Birdy would ban me  Big Grin

I never got Kevin Rowlands. I'm sure he is a nice guy, but the music did nothing for me.

Actually he isn't. He's an absolute lowlife handbag thief.
Nothing Compares to You, Skinhead Oconnor. Wrist slitting. Was at Uni at the time. Makes my skin crawl every time I hear it.
(05-06-2022, 05:43 PM)Fido Wrote:

Was it a Spanish Train?