Songs that you hated in younger years and still do now
Not necessarily that the songs were shite but just the feeling you get from them. Was just reminded of this by a jingle emanating from Radio 2 in the kitchen:

Souvenir by OMD. 

Still reminiscent of moving from a tiny village primary school to a "big" new middle school age 9 in 1981. Was played nearly every day on the coach to school and still get a slight, funny "nervous" feel from it even 41 years on, as weird as that may sound. Remember having to wear a blazer as my folks had forked out for one even though nearly every other fugger didn't bother. 

Other songs from that year are similar - Golden Brown (Stranglers) and Pretend (Alvin Stardust) but not quite the same as the OMD one.
81 was one of my favourite years musically. I also left school then.

Souvenir was a lame song, but on the whole they did some decent stuff.

Sit Down by James is a song I hate, but purely as it reminds me of a really shit time in my life when I was on the dole, drinking heavily and totally going off the rails. Having said that I like James and actually saw them a few months ago.
I used to hate Welcome To The Monkey House.

Now, I fuckin love it.
Keep Right On....
Most September tunes during my school years tbh - I didn't enjoy it much if I'm honest. I feel similar to Fido with Souvenir but also Godley and Creme's Under Your Thumb from 1981.
(05-06-2022, 12:36 PM)Mr vertical Wrote: Most September tunes during my school years tbh - I didn't enjoy it much if I'm honest. I feel similar to Fido with Souvenir but also Godley and Creme's Under Your Thumb from 1981.

You're right, Under Your Thumb was another on the list.

<removes shoelaces and belt>
(05-06-2022, 12:40 PM)Fido Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 12:36 PM)Mr vertical Wrote: Most September tunes during my school years tbh - I didn't enjoy it much if I'm honest. I feel similar to Fido with Souvenir but also Godley and Creme's Under Your Thumb from 1981.

You're right, Under Your Thumb was another on the list.

<removes shoelaces and belt>

Weirdly I almost mentioned Under Your Thumb. All this correlates with me getting a job at a plumbers merchants off Rabone Lane. The radio was always on and those songs from autumn 81 leave a strange imprint. Also, I'd bet Wired for Sound by Cliff and Invisible Sun by the Police bring back strange memories for Fido. It's My Party by Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin too!
Come on Eileen FFS. Loathed it then. Loathe it now.
(05-06-2022, 12:01 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: I used to hate Welcome To The Monkey House.

Now, I fuckin love it.

I was best man at my mates wedding and this came on at the disco on the night - to say that his in-laws were checking the get out clauses by the end of the song probably isn't an overstatement  Big Grin

(05-06-2022, 01:25 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Come on Eileen FFS. Loathed it then. Loathe it now.

There are a few songs that are like this one where you like a band generally but one of their songs just grinds - Vienna by Ultravox is another one.
(05-06-2022, 01:25 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Come on Eileen FFS. Loathed it then. Loathe it now.

I could upload a picture, but Birdy would ban me  Big Grin

I never got Kevin Rowlands. I'm sure he is a nice guy, but the music did nothing for me.