Robinson
There's a reason Wilder got rid of Robinson and i think we are now seeing it.
(03-12-2022, 11:30 AM)Squid Wrote: I walked away from the Hawthorns yesterday feeling joy in my heart, so I feel bad starting a negative thread about a player. But even after sleeping on it, I cannot get over his performance last night.

He hid from the ball. He shirked passes. Several times. I get that his passing accuracy has been poor, but it seems he's now decided to solve that issue by avoiding any passes. It's shocking to see.

I'm no great fan.  However he put it on a sixpence for Grant at the death - a pass Messi would have been proud of - to score an easy winner, but he fluffed it.
He really isn’t very good. But he scores the odd goal so people forget that.
The reason why he’s consistently picked is he’s the only player in our collection of forwards that has decent movement and has good delivery… I think he’s often judged harshly because he appears out of position when actually he’s trying to create space.

However, he is an upper end Championship striker in terms of ability but at League 2 level when it comes to confidence, responsibility and mental strength, and these combine to make him an average at best player for this level.
(03-12-2022, 09:44 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: The reason why he’s consistently picked is he’s the only player in our collection of forwards that has decent movement and has good delivery… I think he’s often judged harshly because he appears out of position when actually he’s trying to create space.

However, he is an upper end Championship striker in terms of ability but at League 2 level when it comes to confidence, responsibility and mental strength, and these combine to make him an average at best player for this level.

He wasn't doing this. He was hiding and avoiding the ball and I was far from the only person last night to notice.
(03-12-2022, 09:53 PM)Squid Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 09:44 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: The reason why he’s consistently picked is he’s the only player in our collection of forwards that has decent movement and has good delivery… I think he’s often judged harshly because he appears out of position when actually he’s trying to create space.

He wasn't doing this. He was hiding and avoiding the ball and I was far from the only person last night to notice.

This.
I have no idea what others are looking at.
I would guess that Bruce has seen this also but the paucity of our (3rd/2nd best) squad means he has no option but to play him.
He is currently cheating a living and should be ashamed.

He does do it an awful lot, which detracts from the good things he does, but he doesn't do it all the time. Reference Grant's effort that hit the bar. Robinson placed himself in space just outside the box in order to receive a straight pass. He gets the ball, assesses the options and lifts a beautiful pass into Grant.

These little snippets tend to go unnoticed because of his main tendency to hide.

The manager needs to work more on getting Robinson to position himself properly at all (most) times so that he can contribute to the team more often. Which should be addressed as part of the work on team shape and movement.

I didn’t see Friday’s game so can’t comment on his individual performance against Hudds, I just mean in general I don’t think his movement and the space it creates gets the credit it deserves. Zero disagreement from me that he’s a coward mind.
*Bumping* this for those who think booing your own players is never justified. Robinson has been trying the patience of many for weeks.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I'm not surprised it happened, especially in front of the Brummie.
(04-16-2022, 06:37 PM)Squid Wrote: *Bumping* this for those who think booing your own players is never justified. Robinson has been trying the patience of many for weeks.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I'm not surprised it happened, especially in front of the Brummie.

Agreed not one to advocate booing you own players during the game , but Robbo had bottled at least half dozen other situations during the game ,plus numerous during the season ,and the one i front of the  brummie was so blatantly obvious it was the straw that broke the camels back imvho.