Robinson
I walked away from the Hawthorns yesterday feeling joy in my heart, so I feel bad starting a negative thread about a player. But even after sleeping on it, I cannot get over his performance last night.

He hid from the ball. He shirked passes. Several times. I get that his passing accuracy has been poor, but it seems he's now decided to solve that issue by avoiding any passes. It's shocking to see.
Agreed.
He had a really poor game last night. What has happened to the Robinson that we saw last season v Chelsea?
Agree. Hid for 90 minutes and actually ran across to the other side of the field when Townsend was trying to break and looking to pick a pass. He's been like it for weeks. I can forgive not being good enough, being low on confidence, but I struggle to support anyone not trying. I can't be bothered with him.
I have to admit I thought he'd improve after Val left. He's always been a bit inconsistent but had games in the past where he's looked a real handful. Right now he offers nothing and looks like his confidence is shattered.
(03-12-2022, 11:30 AM)Squid Wrote: I walked away from the Hawthorns yesterday feeling joy in my heart, so I feel bad starting a negative thread about a player. But even after sleeping on it, I cannot get over his performance last night.

He hid from the ball. He shirked passes. Several times. I get that his passing accuracy has been poor, but it seems he's now decided to solve that issue by avoiding any passes. It's shocking to see.

I really liked him when he arrived 2 years ago.  Got us over the line whilst most of the squad slackened right off in lockdown.

He is pissing me off right now.  Especially the faux protests/cheerleading - whilst putting in minimal effort. Appearing to put effort in - whilst doing fugg all
One of the issues we've had up top all season is that we have players capable of magic moments but for the vast majority of the time don't do anything. Grant, Robinson, Diangana after the first season, Phillips when he's having one of his short on confidence periods. It's fine to have them in your team but they have to have players around them that can carry the ball, hold on to it, be more involved.

With Grant you just have to accept that's how he plays because he can get a goal out of nothing, Diangana is capable of creating something spontaneously. Robinson doesn't have that so when he's off it, there's very little he can offer.
Yes, I've thought this recently. Contrast Robinson to Diangana whom in recent weeks has never hid, always looked for the ball and often makes runs but unfortunately for him and us hasn't done much with it. Robinson should absolutely be dropped.
I think he offers more all round play that Grant. But Grant is obviously killer in the box. Robbo did try and link some through balls when moved central when AC come on. If Grants finish goes in, oppose to off the bar, that through ball by Robbo would be raved about.
(03-12-2022, 11:59 AM)Dumbo Wrote: I think he offers more all round play that Grant. 

Until yesterday I'd have agreed but I thought Grant worked a bit harder than usual both on and off the ball.
(03-12-2022, 11:42 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 11:30 AM)Squid Wrote: I walked away from the Hawthorns yesterday feeling joy in my heart, so I feel bad starting a negative thread about a player. But even after sleeping on it, I cannot get over his performance last night.

I really liked him when he arrived 2 years ago.  Got us over the line whilst most of the squad slackened right off in lockdown.

He is pissing me off right now.  Especially the faux protests/cheerleading - whilst putting in minimal effort. Appearing to put effort in - whilst doing fugg all

This for me. Seen it before with some players, making it look as though they are really trying, such as (not really) going in for a tackle, being nowhere near it, and standing around bemoaning how unlucky they were whilst the opposition player toddles up the pitch with the ball.

These players also position themselves so that there is an opposition player between them when their team mate has the ball, meaning they cannot receive the pass. Robinson does this a lot, although not all the time.

For that type of player to then try and get the fans cheering just annoys me even more, as though it is the fans who are the ones not putting in the required effort.

What Robinson needs is a Megson-type manager. However, having said that, I'd have thought Wilder might have been a modern equivalent and he just wanted shot of him.