FAQ Orf Vinyl Biffs
Set the new turntable up last night, it’s running nicely. Certainly sounding less crackly than the old one.

Give it a couple of months and I’ll start thinking of upgrading the speakers too.
If it was crackling make sure your needle isn’t dusty…
(02-25-2022, 12:19 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Bought quite a few things from RS.

Yamaha, Marantz, Sony stuff, etc.

The one in Brum closed down unfortunately.

Ah, didn't know that. Sad, I bought my set-up from there in '95, which is still going strong. Denon amp, Mission speakers. Marantz CD player, Dual turntable.

BTW, on the topic of vinyl, I refused to switch to CD until 95, when the stuff I wanted started to become unavailable on vinyl. I use my turntable only to occasionally play my old albums. I haven't bought into this vinyl revival. Apart from them being ridiculously expensive, am I the only person to think it's a regressive step? Vinyl does sound great, but it doesn't exactly fit with the need to be eco-friendly. When we're driving towards avoiding using plastic I don't get why vinyl records are becoming popular again.
I'm buying a few albums here and there when I know I already like them. The majority of my recent buys have been s/h and I've given them a good clean (another topic entirely!) - even charity shop stuff has been mainly good.
This bloke is the vinyl champion, and an Albion fan:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/Rockville...ds/profile
(02-26-2022, 12:49 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:19 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Bought quite a few things from RS.

Yamaha, Marantz, Sony stuff, etc.

The one in Brum closed down unfortunately.

Ah, didn't know that. Sad, I bought my set-up from there in '95, which is still going strong. Denon amp, Mission speakers. Marantz CD player, Dual turntable.

BTW, on the topic of vinyl, I refused to switch to CD until 95, when the stuff I wanted started to become unavailable on vinyl. I use my turntable only to occasionally play my old albums. I haven't bought into this vinyl revival. Apart from them being ridiculously expensive, am I the only person to think it's a regressive step? Vinyl does sound great, but it doesn't exactly fit with the need to be eco-friendly. When we're driving towards avoiding using plastic I don't get why vinyl records are becoming popular again.

I bought my first stuff from there in 1985.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CP1A...asin_title
I use this for cleaning my vinyl records. Particularly the ones I've had since the 60s. Works really well.
(02-26-2022, 07:06 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 11:47 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Still got my Dual 505 turntable from the 80s and sounds fine.
Somebody was selling one at a car boot for £5 a few years ago - still kicking myself!

A fiver bloody hell the stylus is worth more then that.
Been advised recently that used Kam tables are great value for money .

Tell me about it - it was the deluxe version too with the wooden deck!
Saw my mat a couple of weeks later who had just bought a new, far inferior deck for round £150 - he was spewing!
Bought my 1210 for £350 a couple of years back, used to be £400 a pair. Seeing them regularly go for £5/600 each now.
In the form of his life.