Ashamed
(01-30-2022, 09:58 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Currently there is no pleasure whatsoever in supporting Albion. The less engaged will just back off for a while.
The next game I had pencilled in is Huddersfield. I just hope by then things will have changed positively.
Darkest times up there in many many years currently.

I certainly won't be going up until Ismael is gone. Even then there still remains the ownership issues at the club but at least we may see a team with a plan trying to string 2 or 3 passes together.
(01-30-2022, 09:56 AM)Fido Wrote: As was mentioned before the Chris Brunt incident was far worse. Not condoning the behaviour yesterday but that was my lowest point as an Albion fan.

True. As bad as things currently, that was even more shameful.
I too joined the London Baggies at the Southwark Brewery. Best part of the day by a mile. It is the minority who cast the cloud over the whole fan base - the majority just found the whole thing very depressing. The police kept most fans travelling by train back - which was understandable as there was obviously supporters fighting at the station just ahead of us.
I don't think the trouble was football related at all. There was obviously a number of fans determined to cause trouble no matter what. As I said, all very depressing.
I am going to the Blackburn game next and I hope Val is gone by then. It's obvious the most of the players want that too.
For whatever reason it was, be it retaliation for their behaviour at our place, protest at the owners, anger at the 'professionals' (many of whom aren't fit to wear the shirt, etc.), you're quite right, Birdbrain. It really isn't acceptable.

I was always proud to be a baggie. We were always different from the rest.

Whether it be the community element, the history, our stoical, self-deprecating self-appraisal (very much embodied by the likes of Chiles and to a lesser extent Skinner), our vocal, humerous and often (at least historically so) amiable away following, our not-so-modest honours list, our black country heritage, our proud history of being ambassadors for race relations at a time of quite awful treatment of black players... there was always so much identity to be enjoyed being a follower of Albion, no matter if times on the pitch were good or bad. Regardless of the allegiance of other supporters, it was always an interesting and rather proud talking point to declare oneself a follower of this once great club.

But that just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Or at least it doesn't seem to be reflected now.

Matchdays are a sterile environment at best, and actually quite cynical/hostile at worst. The enjoyment of the 'matchday experience' seems to have been sucked dry. Yes it's true we've had periods of real discontent in the past; I recall some really bad moments after Gould, during Buckley eras; and even during the Robson era when things on occasion did get very nasty both inside the ground and out.

But at least the club and its fanbase still had a soul then. It seems to have completely evaporated now.

And it underlines - completely - why (alongside many other reasons, mainly time constraints) I'm glad I didn't get an ST this season. I ain't taking my kids to watch this shit, surrounded by the likes of these tossers; not least when they have the misfortune of growing up in Wolverhampton (as I did.) Whilst they are and always will be Albion, presently this club, its roster of bag-of-shit players, its no-hoper management and utterly incompetent board simply don't deserve either their or my time, dedication or support at the minute.

My siblings and relatives that renewed last year aren't even attending themselves much at the minute, and often can't unload their STs because of the simple reason none of us want to go. There is nothing there.

And that isn't glory-hunting, JCL-ism or anything like that. We grew up during the statistically-worst period in our history and followed them through the thinnest of times as well as the thicker ones either side (although the former period of success I was too young to observe). At least there was always some enjoyment of sorts to take from the bad times before. But now, there is simply none.

I predicted a poor season this year. We have been steadily going backwards in terms of residual quality, as exhibited by many of the best of last term not actually being our players. And after the appointment fiasco that saw Hilarious Ishmael appointed in the first place (and Hamface lose his job over it), even at the start of the season I knew we'd struggle for goals and attacking threat compared to what either Big Dave - or even everybody's romantic wet-dream Slaven Bilic - had at their disposal.

The writing was on the wall really, and - whilst I expected a struggle - I at least hoped for the start of a revolution; and at least some fucking effort. Not a continuation of our nosedive into the footballing abyss which will be much harder to emerge from than when PT/JP/SGM came along and saved us. The stepping stones of progress are simply much further apart than they were.

So whilst I was more than prepared to give both he and the club a chance, I saw this season coming.

There are simply far too many unaddressed constants - at all levels within the club - that mirror an overall lack of discipline, leadership and overall accountability that always comes from the top (funnily enough, Man Utd find themselves suffering a similar situation; albeit on a grander scale). This club is a complete shitshow from top to bottom, and whilst all clubs have their scum element to them, the actions of yesterday won't achieve anything other than make us look like the sore and bitter losers we are on top of this.

Rather than resort to trashing opposing football stadia and needlessly abusing our own, we should all just simply stay away; until the club recognises that without us, no-one cares; and that the investment made in us will continue to perish for as long as they continue in their half-arsed, neither-here-nor-there approach to managing this club; as is exemplified and played out pathetically by this bunch of tossers on the pitch, week-in, week-out. Such laissez-faire attitude is again embodied in their continued reluctance to sack this clown.

Rant over, but if they don't care then why the fuck should we.
Thoughtful post Hawks. My head has cleared a little now so I'll stick in my tuppence wuth.  I won't let a minority drive me away. I love the Albion way beyond any rationality but still know that in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter much. I was right by the Brunt incident and that was way worse. Maybe, because it's Millwall not say, Fulham,  I don't feel so overly bothered. It'll be forgotten by next week.
I would urge the opposite though, that all fans don't stay away in the face of some uncivil behaviour. Maybe it's because I was a teenager at the height of football violence, when you actually did get thumped for your loyalty.  Although this latest thing is unsavoury,  it's important not to surrender to a few morons.
(01-30-2022, 12:20 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: And it underlines - completely - why (alongside many other reasons, mainly time constraints) I'm glad I didn't get an ST this season.

So whilst I was more than prepared to give both he and the club a chance, I saw this season coming.

That doesn’t sound like someone prepared to give both he and the club a chance.

Rather than stay away, I’d rather we filled the place and and disrupted the game etc. like Blackpool did with the tennis balls (as an example).  It would gain much more media attention and bring forward a swifter resolution than a slowly drifting away fan base who just can’t be arsed any more.

Smashing up toilets, throwing seats, fighting the police and opposing fans is the unacceptable side of the fans showing their displeasure (although I suspect this was more about it being Millwall and a reaction to the home game).    We have as a fan base made a bit of a commotion, albeit negative with the press, it might just stir up the rest of us from our slumber to tell the players, the manager and the owner that enough is enough. 

Run the football club properly, no problem with self-financed, or fuck off. If you want to chuck some money at us all the better but that’s not what people are asking for.  Appoint someone to run the football side of things at board level.  Appoint people to negotiate contracts in the football world - Grant 6 years!  VI - 4 years.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Have a look at the Blues right now and look ahead for a couple of seasons. We’re heading on a fast train to becoming them and we need to turn now, they’ve only just realised but they’ve always been a bit slow in Smallheath.   Big Grin

Remember the chants at Blackpool of “Sack the board” and “get out of our club”?  We were told by the wise sages on here that will achieve nowt.  Strange that within no time Lai was over here…
滚开赖
(01-30-2022, 12:37 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Thoughtful post Hawks. My head has cleared a little now so I'll stick in my tuppence wuth.  I won't let a minority drive me away. I love the Albion way beyond any rationality but still know that in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter much. I was right by the Brunt incident and that was way worse. Maybe, because it's Millwall not say, Fulham,  I don't feel so overly bothered. It'll be forgotten by next week.
I would urge the opposite though, that all fans don't stay away in the face of some uncivil behaviour. Maybe it's because I was a teenager at the height of football violence, when you actually did get thumped for your loyalty.  Although this latest thing is unsavoury,  it's important not to surrender to a few morons.

Agree with a lot of that Tom, but, I didn`t go yesterday, and couldn`t go v Preston due to work. But, my lad is a season ticket holder, and, this season got his girlfriend a season ticket also. They left 10 mins from the end the other night, disgusted by some of the abuse / chanting by people around them. He said it went beyond questioning Vals ability ( or lack of ) as a coach, but disgusting, personal stuff. What really got to him was that several 30+ blokes who were doing it, had their 8 / 9 year old kids there, who joined in, with the `parents` doing nothing to discourage them. Guess our next generation of nutters is already being nurtured. The lad says he is seriously considering not going, or at least not taking his lass again, while the atmosphere is like this.
(01-30-2022, 12:20 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: For whatever reason it was, be it retaliation for their behaviour at our place, protest at the owners, anger at the 'professionals' (many of whom aren't fit to wear the shirt, etc.), you're quite right, Birdbrain. It really isn't acceptable.

I was always proud to be a baggie. We were always different from the rest.

Whether it be the community element, the history, our stoical, self-deprecating self-appraisal (very much embodied by the likes of Chiles and to a lesser extent Skinner), our vocal, humerous and often (at least historically so) amiable away following, our not-so-modest honours list, our black country heritage, our proud history of being ambassadors for race relations at a time of quite awful treatment of black players... there was always so much identity to be enjoyed being a follower of Albion, no matter if times on the pitch were good or bad. Regardless of the allegiance of other supporters, it was always an interesting and rather proud talking point to declare oneself a follower of this once great club.

But that just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Or at least it doesn't seem to be reflected now.

Matchdays are a sterile environment at best, and actually quite cynical/hostile at worst. The enjoyment of the 'matchday experience' seems to have been sucked dry. Yes it's true we've had periods of real discontent in the past; I recall some really bad moments after Gould, during Buckley eras; and even during the Robson era when things on occasion did get very nasty both inside the ground and out.

But at least the club and its fanbase still had a soul then. It seems to have completely evaporated now.

And it underlines - completely - why (alongside many other reasons, mainly time constraints) I'm glad I didn't get an ST this season. I ain't taking my kids to watch this shit, surrounded by the likes of these tossers; not least when they have the misfortune of growing up in Wolverhampton (as I did.) Whilst they are and always will be Albion, presently this club, its roster of bag-of-shit players, its no-hoper management and utterly incompetent board simply don't deserve either their or my time, dedication or support at the minute.

My siblings and relatives that renewed last year aren't even attending themselves much at the minute, and often can't unload their STs because of the simple reason none of us want to go. There is nothing there.

And that isn't glory-hunting, JCL-ism or anything like that. We grew up during the statistically-worst period in our history and followed them through the thinnest of times as well as the thicker ones either side (although the former period of success I was too young to observe). At least there was always some enjoyment of sorts to take from the bad times before. But now, there is simply none.

I predicted a poor season this year. We have been steadily going backwards in terms of residual quality, as exhibited by many of the best of last term not actually being our players. And after the appointment fiasco that saw Hilarious Ishmael appointed in the first place (and Hamface lose his job over it), even at the start of the season I knew we'd struggle for goals and attacking threat compared to what either Big Dave - or even everybody's romantic wet-dream Slaven Bilic - had at their disposal.

The writing was on the wall really, and - whilst I expected a struggle - I at least hoped for the start of a revolution; and at least some fucking effort. Not a continuation of our nosedive into the footballing abyss which will be much harder to emerge from than when PT/JP/SGM came along and saved us. The stepping stones of progress are simply much further apart than they were.

There are simply far too many unaddressed constants - at all levels within the club -  that mirror an overall lack of discipline, leadership and overall accountability that always comes from the top (funnily enough, Man Utd find themselves suffering a similar situation; albeit on a grander scale). This club is a complete shitshow from top to bottom, and whilst all clubs have their scum element to them, the actions of yesterday won't achieve anything other than make us look like the sore and bitter losers we are on top of this.

Rather than resort to trashing opposing football stadia and needlessly abusing our own, we should all just simply stay away; until the club recognises that without us, no-one cares; and that the investment made in us will continue to perish for as long as they continue in their half-arsed, neither-here-nor-there approach to managing this club; as is exemplified and played out pathetically by this bunch of tossers on the pitch, week-in, week-out. Such laissez-faire attitude is again embodied in their continued reluctance to sack this clown.

Good post very much my thoughts too
Thanks Mr Joad. But for me, it's about much more than what happened yesterday though; which was somewhat inevitable at some point during the continued demise.

It's more about turning up every week to watch the same experiment repeated, with a different outcome expected. There won't be one.

My anger is more directed at a club which was all pulling in the same direction really not that long ago. I'm not scared of the morons - I just don't particularly want to be a part of any of it at the moment when I don't agree at all with what's going on behind the scenes.

(01-30-2022, 12:51 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 12:20 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: And it underlines - completely - why (alongside many other reasons, mainly time constraints) I'm glad I didn't get an ST this season.

That doesn’t sound like someone prepared to give both he and the club a chance.

Perhaps on the face of it, no. But to clarify a conclusion you've jumped to, my post was long enough as it was without including that I run my own engineering business, have two estranged kids I am religious about spending time with, and a partner who hails from the south west so I spend a lot of time on the M5. Life is pretty busy. 

The ST decision could have been made, but I couldn't justify it given my prediction for the season. But that by no means meant I hoped or wanted Val to fail. In fact - even only yesterday after the line-up was announced - I posted that it would be better all-round if he could fix it, unlikely as it was and remains the case. I just don't think he can.
I know it’s difficult and I moved seats because of some of the so called fans who’s behaved disgustingly and these were 50 year olds, I didn’t want my grandchildren getting upset because of the antics of a few. We now reside in Woodman corner where at least most behave in a more respectable manor. I won’t let Ismael style of football or the morons drive me away football is my religion so we go come what may.