"Creative" centre midfielders...
Creative = for me just means comfortable running with and/or passing the ball FORWORD into dangerous areas. Can take defenders out of the game with a piece of skill or weighted pass and create chances. Would also expect that type of player to score 8-10 goals over a season. Basically something like the Brazillian fella we had for our last promotion campaign.
(01-28-2022, 02:21 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote: Creative = for me just means comfortable running with and/or passing the ball FORWORD into dangerous areas.  Can take defenders out of the game with a piece of skill or weighted pass and create chances.  Would also expect that type of player to score 8-10 goals over a season.  Basically something like the Brazillian fella we had for our last promotion campaign.

Agree... but do those players exsit in "Central Midfield" anymore, LLF?

I am not sure they do. We do need better from our wide players (wingbacks) and front 3 though I agree.

(01-28-2022, 02:12 PM)Peachy Wrote: I've said it countless times but Mowatt and Jake are just far too similer to play as a pair. We need another central midfielder who can break forward and carry the ball and pick a pass. He doesn't need to be overly skillful but he needs to have drive, composure and vision. It'll make a huge difference.

AMN and Yokuslu were both ideal.

Completely agree mate. We need more legs in there. Henderson foes that job so well for Liverpool.
(01-28-2022, 03:26 PM)Lurker#3 Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 02:21 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote: Creative = for me just means comfortable running with and/or passing the ball FORWORD into dangerous areas.  Can take defenders out of the game with a piece of skill or weighted pass and create chances.  Would also expect that type of player to score 8-10 goals over a season.  Basically something like the Brazillian fella we had for our last promotion campaign.

I am not sure they do. We do need better from our wide players (wingbacks) and front 3 though I agree.

(01-28-2022, 02:12 PM)Peachy Wrote: I've said it countless times but Mowatt and Jake are just far too similer to play as a pair. We need another central midfielder who can break forward and carry the ball and pick a pass. He doesn't need to be overly skillful but he needs to have drive, composure and vision. It'll make a huge difference.

Completely agree mate. We need more legs in there. Henderson foes that job so well for Liverpool.

I did question wether MP could have played that role? But maybe as part of a three, just not as a two.   Agree would have most likely played as one of front three under Val.
(01-28-2022, 04:48 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote:

I did question wether MP could have played that role? But maybe as part of a three, just not as a two.   Agree would have most likely played as one of front three under Val.

Yes! Finally. Someone agrees Pereira would have been perfect in a front 3. Deeper than the other two but way better than anything we've seen playing the central striker role this season.  Still, it's Val's fault we've got 17M in the bank and no one that can fit a no.9 shirt, apparently.
(01-28-2022, 10:47 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

Yes! Finally. Someone agrees Pereira would have been perfect in a front 3. Deeper than the other two but way better than anything we've seen playing the central striker role this season.  Still, it's Val's fault we've got 17M in the bank and no one that can fit a no.9 shirt, apparently.

Pereira playing central striker role? The game would have completely past him by and there is no way he was going to stay and be a positive influence. By some accounts he wanted out in January because Allardyce wasn’t happy with the players work rate. 

I doubt very much that an unhappy Periera wanting to leave was suddenly going knuckle down and be an asset this year as a striker chasing scraps, awful crosses and 100mph football.
(01-29-2022, 08:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 10:47 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

Pereira playing central striker role? The game would have completely past him by and there is no way he was going to stay and be a positive influence. By some accounts he wanted out in January because Allardyce wasn’t happy with the players work rate. 

I doubt very much that an unhappy Periera wanting to leave was suddenly going knuckle down and be an asset this year as a striker chasing scraps, awful crosses and 100mph football.

TBF to Pereira no one could surely question his work rate? I always thought that, especially for a "flair" player, his work rate and tracking back were terrific.

Certainly would never play him as a striker but he could have done one of the wide roles easily. He played wide in Germany before we signed him. 

Anyway its all futile as he didn't want to stay anyway.....
I don't think it was MP not being good enough for Val. MP wanted to go for the money and was completely open about that. Refreshingly so, I thought.
(01-29-2022, 09:14 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I don't think it was MP not being good enough for Val. MP wanted to go for the money and was completely open about that. Refreshingly so, I thought.

Refreshing? Frankly I thought it showed a complete lack of ambition from the player.
And since when did a player dictate his move?
Sold to the middle East or wherever for a knockdown price..
Something fishy there...