Murderer or Hero?
(01-27-2022, 06:23 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 05:43 PM)Offside Wrote: the problem the justice system now has is that juries are defying judicial direction more and more.  If he'd trashed a statue of a slave owner with his Clio he stands a chance of getting off the charge of criminal damage given the right jury. 

It's only a small step to apply the same group-think to this situation. While the intent was laudible, the outcome was a death, and in the eyes of the law, but not the public, disproportionate force was used. 

No court in the country is going to find him guilty of murder regardless of direction given by the judge.  

It remains to be seen that if charged with manslaughter, and the judge directs them in such a way that they must come to a guilty verdict,  will the jury still defy the court's direction and find him not guilty?  

I can see re-trials and appeals in abundance occurring.

Equating this to pulling down a statue was a hot take I did not see coming.

You might be proud of yourself coming back with your smartiepants answers but have a think about what message this sends to terrorists
(01-27-2022, 06:23 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 05:43 PM)Offside Wrote: the problem the justice system now has is that juries are defying judicial direction more and more.  If he'd trashed a statue of a slave owner with his Clio he stands a chance of getting off the charge of criminal damage given the right jury. 

It's only a small step to apply the same group-think to this situation. While the intent was laudible, the outcome was a death, and in the eyes of the law, but not the public, disproportionate force was used. 

No court in the country is going to find him guilty of murder regardless of direction given by the judge.  

It remains to be seen that if charged with manslaughter, and the judge directs them in such a way that they must come to a guilty verdict,  will the jury still defy the court's direction and find him not guilty?  

I can see re-trials and appeals in abundance occurring.

Equating this to pulling down a statue was a hot take I did not see coming.

It's not the crime or the consequences of it that I was comparing.

It's the influence of instantaneous communication,  and trial by social media, plus the peer pressure on people to jump on the band wagon of righteous indignation, plus a sometimes-healthy group attitude that thinks " fuck you" ( the law or establishment), we've had enough of the educated elite's version of what's right and wrong,  and what the law ( which we don't know a fat lot about) thinks is right.  

"You let rapists and murderers out after five years in jail, yet you want to jail a man who reacted in a split second in order to save a life, and then subject him to 400 years of judicial precedents that bear no relationship to the world we live in today. "

They have a point.   But it's one step away from anarchy.
No charges will be brought…

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022...SApp_Other
Absolutely the right decision imo. More worthy of a medal than a punishment. Hopefully people will start helping each other again rather than stand there filming it