Murderer or Hero?
This should liven things up a bit…

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022...SApp_Other
If there's evidence the the murder was in action he should be found innocent, either by unarresting him, or very quickly at trial.

You have the right to use proportionate and reasonable force to protect life if you believe it is at risk.
He has to be arrested on suspicion of murder as he deliberately drove a car at another human being and it's reaosnable to assume that he knew he would/could kill him.

Whether his actions, probably downgraded to manslaughter, were proprtionate to preventing another offence (likely murder) is one for the CPS or a court to decide. Not a police officer.

On the face of it though, from a moral justice pov, the guy should walk.
He deserves to be arrested, purely for driving a fucking Renault Clio.  Rolleyes
I suppose the police would have to arrest and investigate. If its as presented though and he was merely trying to stop the guy stabbing the woman then charges should be dropped.
(01-27-2022, 04:10 PM)SophLad Wrote: He has to be arrested on suspicion of murder as he deliberately drove a car at another human being and it's reaosnable to assume that he knew he would/could kill him.

Whether his actions, probably downgraded to manslaughter, were proprtionate to preventing another offence (likely murder) is one for the CPS or a court to decide.  Not a police officer.

On the face of it though, from a moral justice pov, the guy should walk.

This.

I'd hope common sense would prevail in this, but without full view of the facts it's impossible to say either way.

The police have to investigate and as such he needs to be treated as a suspect.... Hopefully he's receiving some element of preferential treatment whilst in custody.
Surely he get's a manslaughter charge either way right?
the problem the justice system now has is that juries are defying judicial direction more and more.  If he'd trashed a statue of a slave owner with his Clio he stands a chance of getting off the charge of criminal damage given the right jury. 

It's only a small step to apply the same group-think to this situation. While the intent was laudible, the outcome was a death, and in the eyes of the law, but not the public, disproportionate force was used. 

No court in the country is going to find him guilty of murder regardless of direction given by the judge.  

It remains to be seen that if charged with manslaughter, and the judge directs them in such a way that they must come to a guilty verdict,  will the jury still defy the court's direction and find him not guilty?  

I can see re-trials and appeals in abundance occurring.
It's an extraordinary tale and only a pedant would see what he has done as wrong. Whatever happens, he will be treated as lightly as is possible.
(01-27-2022, 05:43 PM)Offside Wrote: the problem the justice system now has is that juries are defying judicial direction more and more.  If he'd trashed a statue of a slave owner with his Clio he stands a chance of getting off the charge of criminal damage given the right jury. 

It's only a small step to apply the same group-think to this situation. While the intent was laudible, the outcome was a death, and in the eyes of the law, but not the public, disproportionate force was used. 

No court in the country is going to find him guilty of murder regardless of direction given by the judge.  

It remains to be seen that if charged with manslaughter, and the judge directs them in such a way that they must come to a guilty verdict,  will the jury still defy the court's direction and find him not guilty?  

I can see re-trials and appeals in abundance occurring.

Equating this to pulling down a statue was a hot take I did not see coming.