Mike Dean- the Merseyside man
There was a time when Tranmere always played home games on a Friday night. The idea being that fans of Liverpool and Everton could come along and watch.

Maybe he’s one of those?

I would say the FA has a rule for a reason about refs officiating games of certain clubs or clubs from a certain area and for some reason they’ve decided to stop that for Mike Dean and Liverpool. Make of that what you will, but I don’t believe he doesn’t know the laws of the game in respect of a player bumping in to him. It’s not even a drop ball, the ball didn’t hit him, it is just play on. He can’t be held responsible for the off-side decision. Great depth perception by the linesman to know Phillips was in the way, had he not flagged would VAR have disallowed the goal?

All of the above plus the bloke is a cunt. This is the ref that sent Bilic off for speaking to him on the pitch at Everton when Bilic had to cross the pitch to get to the changing room. There’s a reason certain referees get the stick others don’t. The boy ref rarely gets a mention, Mike Dean is always in the news.
滚开赖
Amazing isn't it. Out of all the top referees in England not a single one if them supports either Man Utd or Liverpool. Yet if you pick any 20 people at random from almost anywhere in the world there will be at least one of each and probably more.

I don't buy that Dean is not a Liverpool fan. Even if he isn't nobody from Liverpool should be refereeing games for Liverpool or Everton.  I do get that he wants to be a top referee and stay there. He is astute enough to understand that means not making controversial decisions that cost the big clubs points. In the games between them he never gives anything unless it's nailed on.

So he has got a bit of bias from being from Liverpool and a lot from wanting to maintain his position as a top referee. No wonder we never get any decisions from him when we play them.

Does anyone know how many times he has reffed us against them?
He has never refereed a game between us before.

In 2003 he was stopped from officiating them because his sons had season tickets at Liverpool...he then didnt referee them for a number of years until it was decided (much to the disgust of Everton) he could referee the Merseyside derby.

Not sure whether he has refereed any other Liverpool games since.

All points to this result not being an 'accident'
(05-17-2021, 07:23 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:   He can’t be held responsible for the off-side decision.  Great depth perception by the linesman to know Phillips was in the way, had he not flagged would VAR have disallowed the goal?

The ref makes the call on the pitch.  The lino can flag for an offside but if the ref can see there was no gain by the player in a passive offside position (and he is better placed than the lino) he can let the goal stand as it ought.
Mike Dean is also an incompetent ref at the best of times, one that I'm shocked is still at the top level.
(05-17-2021, 09:41 AM)dpb2002 Wrote: He has never refereed a game between us before.

In 2003 he was stopped from officiating them because his sons had season tickets at Liverpool...he then didnt referee them for a number of years until it was decided (much to the disgust of Everton) he could referee the Merseyside derby.

Not sure whether he has refereed any other Liverpool games since.

All points to this result not being an 'accident'

He was appointed the 2006 FA Cup final until Liverpool got there v West Ham.
He was replaced.
Suddenly now they need wins to get the CL qualification, they have changed the rules!
He sent off Gibbs at Everton too. Technically, correct but didn't even book Rodriguez for going in late on him. He also allowed their first goal when Furlong(?) got poleaxed and it was ignored.
This is the third Liverpool game he has refused this season.
Shabby Russian Wrote:I don't have a problem with this.

Everyone knows Dean SAYS HE is a Tranmere fan, for one. But even if he was previously a Liverpool fan, that we don't  believe he has any integrity and wouldn't be capable of doing a professional job.

We don't make the same judgements on players and managers who must often come into opposition with teams they supported.

I tend to think if you have made it to the top either as a player or a referee, you probably were too involved in that, ever really to be a one eyed fan of any particular club.

Edited.
The man is an absolute arse. I know someone that has worked with him.
The decisions yesterday were terrible. However, we didn’t exactly help ourselves. Also, one thing to remember about Mike Dean, when it really mattered he gave us a good decision - the penalty at Bradford. For that, I will be forever grateful.