History - things you never knew
A bloke I knew when I was in me 20s, a well respected business man, and councillor, swears he was coming along the A449 from Wolver to Stourbridge, in the early hours of the morning, near Holbeache House, when a group of horsemen, being chased by a larger group of horsemen firing muskets, suddenly appeared leaping the hedge on his left crossed the road leapt the hedge on his right and dissappeared into the night. His sighting was well documented at the time although somewhat scornfully as you'd expect ! He always swore it was true!
Holbeche House is now a care home, but you can drive onto the car park at the front of the house and still see the holes made in the brickwork by the government soldiers' musket balls.

It's being pedantic but Guy Fawkes technically wasn't hung, drawn and quartered. He either slipped or jumped from the ladder leading to the scaffold and was dead before they could get him down so the drawing and quartering while he was still alive never took place. The myth that the sentence was carried out was probably supported by the government who wouldn't want to admit to a botched sentence and by the Catholic church as Fawkes, as a Catholic hero, couldn't be seen to have committed suicide.
(05-02-2021, 09:39 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: A bloke I knew when I was in me 20s, a well respected business man, and councillor, swears he was coming along the A449 from Wolver to Stourbridge, in the early hours of the morning, near Holbeache House, when a group of horsemen, being chased by a larger group of horsemen firing muskets, suddenly appeared leaping the hedge on his left crossed the road leapt the hedge on his right and dissappeared into the night. His sighting was well documented at the time although somewhat scornfully as you'd expect ! He always swore it was true!

What recreational drugs did they have 60 years ago?  Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(05-02-2021, 10:31 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 09:39 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: A bloke I knew when I was in me 20s, a well respected business man, and councillor, swears he was coming along the A449 from Wolver to Stourbridge, in the early hours of the morning, near Holbeache House, when a group of horsemen, being chased by a larger group of horsemen firing muskets, suddenly appeared leaping the hedge on his left crossed the road leapt the hedge on his right and dissappeared into the night. His sighting was well documented at the time although somewhat scornfully as you'd expect ! He always swore it was true!

Hanson's mild.

I know other people who swear to have seen the same there.
After reading 'The last place on Earth' about the Scott and Amundsen expeditions - I learnt that scurvy, if left untreated is always fatal and that one of the symptoms is that it causes old wounds to open up!
baggpuss Wrote:After reading 'The last place on Earth' about the Scott and Amundsen expeditions - I learnt that scurvy, if left untreated is always fatal and that one of the symptoms is that it causes old wounds to open up!

<checks if "scurvy" is on the banned posters list>
(05-02-2021, 12:43 PM)hudds Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:31 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Hanson's mild.
Banks`s Old Ale should surely have been a controlled substance.
A few years ago when working near Liverpool st I went to a back street Indian wholesale warehouse.

I later discovered this was built directly on top of where the last victim of Jack the Ripper was butchered in her house. She had a church service at a church which I used to see every day on Commercial St, directly opposite Brushfield St.
I told you I’ll be back
(05-02-2021, 08:01 PM)Supamart Wrote:

I know other people who swear to have seen the same there.

I’ve heard similar stories about the pub at the top of the Hagley mile going towards Halesowen. 

In this day and age, with a lot of cars having dash cams, I’m sure we I’ll soon see proof or the stories will die off.