History - things you never knew
A lane I walk past on my walk in Lapworth is called “Catesby Lane”.  I only discovered this morning that a Catesby was born on that lane and was an accomplice with Guy Fawkes. Catesby was shot and Killed near Dudley after the failed plot, along with other accomplices, whilst Guy Fawkes was hung drawn and quartered.

<Lights Roman candle> Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(05-01-2021, 08:52 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: A lane I walk past on my walk in Lapworth is called “Catesby Lane”.  I only discovered this morning that a Catesby was born on that lane and was an accomplice with Guy Fawkes. Catesby was shot and Killed near Dudley after the failed plot, along with other accomplices, whilst Guy Fawkes was hung drawn and quartered.

Everybody in the Black Country knows that.  Pfft.
(05-01-2021, 08:52 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: A lane I walk past on my walk in Lapworth is called “Catesby Lane”.  I only discovered this morning that a Catesby was born on that lane and was an accomplice with Guy Fawkes. Catesby was shot and Killed near Dudley after the failed plot, along with other accomplices, whilst Guy Fawkes was hung drawn and quartered.

Catesby by was more than just an accomplice. He was the leader of the group. A West Midlander from Henley in Arden.
At the time, the villages in the old Arden forest were very resistant to protestant reform and remained fiercely Catholic. That's why the gunpowder plot was centred around Warwickshire.
Holbeche House in Kingswinford. It all kicked off there! Nearby, the Charterfields Estate has street names for the protagonists, including Catesby.
(05-02-2021, 07:31 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Holbeche House in Kingswinford. It all kicked off there! Nearby, the Charterfields Estate has street names for the protagonists, including Catesby.

Just down the round from me, I believe he was shot and killed there.  Quite a few round names with Catesby.

In other K’ford news the fella accused of racially abusing Sawyers is the husband of my dog groomer.  I’m not going to name & shame to spare Birdie he grief.  I will be using a different dog groomer though if he’s found guilty.
滚开赖
(05-02-2021, 07:48 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 07:31 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Holbeche House in Kingswinford. It all kicked off there! Nearby, the Charterfields Estate has street names for the protagonists, including Catesby.

Just down the round from me, I believe he was shot and killed there.  Quite a few round names with Catesby.

In other K’ford news the fella accused of racially abusing Sawyers is the husband of my dog groomer.  I’m not going to name & shame to spare Birdie he grief.  I will be using a different dog groomer though if he’s found guilty.

Truly a sad affair.

Hopefully he can prove his innocence. I know where he lives, not sure publishing the addresses of accused is always/ever right.
I find as I get older that I am increasingly discovering new historical facts I wasnt aware of.
Might be a consequence of reading more widely.

One that stunned me was reading about the destruction of the city of Merv, which was situated in modern day Turkmenistan.  The mongols destroyed it and killed approx 500,000 people in doing so. I was astonished that such an event could happen and i wasn't  aware of it. The  modern equivalent would be if a city like Paris was destroyed today and everyone of its citizens were killed.
(05-01-2021, 09:21 PM)hudds Wrote:

Everybody in the Black Country knows that.  Pfft.

That’s because it’s where the shoot out occurred.  The lane I refer to was just his birthplace and hardly gets a mention as it’s not as important nor interesting in the gun powder plot.

Oh, only I discovered last year that Felicity Kendal was born and lived on a road until ages 20, that I lived on with my parents. If only I was born earlier Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
She was born in Olton, but grew up in India travelling around with her parents who ran a theatre company. I thought that was one of the most commonly known facts about her.