Prince Philip
A great legacy:

https://www.dofe.org/

We have lost a committed public servant who raised a lot of laughs along the way.

RIP.
I liked it when he regenerated from Matt Smith into Tobias Menzies.
(04-09-2021, 11:35 AM)Fido Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.
I feel for the Queen as I would any grieving widow.

I know this may sound a little untoward on the day of his demise but wasn't he shagging some other piece for years?

Always sad for the family when the elder passes on. No tears from me, however. A man who can insult whole nations in one sentence and for whom the word faithful does not seem befitting. A long and lucky privileged life without much need to break a sweat.
RIP you served the queen well. A good innings with a gift of putting people at ease.
(04-09-2021, 12:31 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:48 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.

I know this may sound a little untoward on the day of his demise but wasn't he shagging some other piece for years?

Sorry for the ones close to him who genuinely knew him, but apart from that no apologies for being as irreverent as you Fido. I doubt it was a marriage in any true meaning of the word for years and he had a pampered and hugely privileged life.

If he'd worked in a Smethwick foundry and been brought up in a damp house in Tividale I doubt he'd have seen the last 20 years.

Although he would have retired at 60 rather than the 97 when Prince Philip retired
Can you retire from doing feck all but have all and sundry at your beck and call?  Confused Big Grin

(04-09-2021, 01:57 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: RIP you served the queen well. A good innings with a gift of putting people at ease.

Betrayal is serving the Queen?
(04-09-2021, 12:35 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: RIP.

Not a royalist at all, very much the opposite, but a family is now in mourning and I do genuinly think he cared for his role and the country.

Pretty much chimes with my own view; I'd have liked him to make it to 100 for no better reason than I thought, having got so close, he 'deserved' to. Totally irrational, but there we are.

He, like all of them (the royals), has divided opinion down the decades but, for all the wealth and privilege, I wouldn't swap my life for any of theirs. 

RIP

Yeah this.

I couldn’t really give two shits about the royals or royalists, or even the anti-royalists for that matter. I don’t really know any, on either side. So I find the faux outrage for/against almost amusing. Like many things in life, some seem to thrive on the moral high ground and being seen as such. Go for it. 

Never watched the Christmas speeches, couldn’t care about the controversies, couldn’t even tell you who Beatrix is, or even who her mom is, let alone the rest. It just doesn’t register!

But anyway, RIP, but just another one coming and going.
(04-09-2021, 01:55 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:

Always sad for the family when the elder passes on. No tears from me, however. A man who can insult whole nations in one sentence and for whom the word faithful does not seem befitting. A long and lucky privileged life without much need to break a sweat.

Erm - I think he did somewhat in WW2!
(04-09-2021, 02:18 PM)baggpuss Wrote:

Perhaps he was in Operation Lynx?

Thousands others were alongside him.... I wouldn't like to guess how much time he spent at the front. 

However, the vast majority of his adult life was no sweat bar trying to keep his indiscretions in check.
(04-09-2021, 02:22 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:

Thousands others were alongside him.... I wouldn't like to guess how much time he spent at the front. 

However, the vast majority of his adult life was no sweat bar trying to keep his indiscretions in check.

Probably more time than you have ever done, to be honest.