Prince Philip
Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.
I feel for the Queen as I would any grieving widow.
Αναπαύσου εν ειρήνη Φίλιππος

RIP Philipos.
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.

I know this may sound a little untoward on the day of his demise but wasn't he shagging some other piece for years?
I was really hoping he'd make it till at least the end of June just so the Queen had to send him a telegram.
(04-09-2021, 11:35 AM)Fido Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:25 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Not a royalist but I am sorry he has died so close to his century. I do not agree with all that he has said or done but cannot deny his years of faithful service to the country.

I know this may sound a little untoward on the day of his demise but wasn't he shagging some other piece for years?

Yeah, He's been living with Penelope Knatchbull for years. The marriage ended decades ago.
The Queen is the only Royal i really have any time for, so i feel very sorry for her. RIP Philip. Thanks for the Gold award, a very enjoyable time in my life that i wouldn't have had if you hadn't started the whole shabang.
(04-09-2021, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote: To have the same person by your side for 75 years and then lose them must be awful. I see on twitter all comments are being hijacked by the Meghan Markle crew to say some of the most horrible things imaginable. It seems like showing kindness to one person means you have to be a complete twat to other people.

RIP

Congratulations, Slice, you managed to mention the "M" word just three posts in. Don't you have a life? This isn't about her!

He was a funny old fellow in many ways. Integral part of the chaotic Royal Family which seems to shape our national identity. RIP.
(04-09-2021, 11:35 AM)Fido Wrote:

Sorry for the ones close to him who genuinely knew him, but apart from that no apologies for being as irreverent as you Fido. I doubt it was a marriage in any true meaning of the word for years and he had a pampered and hugely privileged life.

If he'd worked in a Smethwick foundry and been brought up in a damp house in Tividale I doubt he'd have seen the last 20 years.
Got a mate who is gamekeeper at some estate in Norfolk. Phil used to go shooting there several times a year. My mate said he'd turn up with a fist-full of £50 notes and if you kept your gob shut, or only spoke to answer questions, he slowly pop them in to your top pocket every so often throughout the day.
As an old Trot I've got no time for any of them, but you can't knock his innings. I bet he was a laugh after a few too.
(04-09-2021, 11:48 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:16 AM)Sliced Wrote: To have the same person by your side for 75 years and then lose them must be awful. I see on twitter all comments are being hijacked by the Meghan Markle crew to say some of the most horrible things imaginable. It seems like showing kindness to one person means you have to be a complete twat to other people.

RIP

Congratulations, Slice, you managed to mention the "M" word just three posts in. Don't you have a life? This isn't about her!

He was a funny old fellow in many ways. Integral part of the chaotic Royal Family which seems to shape our national identity. RIP.

What a weird response. What does having a life have to do with compassion?

I was reacting to what I saw on twitter that thoroughly shocked and disgusted me. It's not a comment on her, just how people choose sides and will stoop to new lows to support their "team". The exact same thing would happen in reverse if something had happened to Meghan.

Anyway, my comment wasn't intended to start another argument so let's leave it there, it was a genuine reaction to the shocking behaviour of attention seeking prats on social media.