Walsall
(03-28-2021, 08:41 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 03:10 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 12:22 AM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 12:18 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Feel sorry for Walsall. Bonser was cnut of the highest order, fugged up Walsall for generations. Pomlett ain't much better by all accounts from what I gather from Walsall pals.

They never spend any money and have a stupidly low budget.

To be honest they've punched above their weight for some years and are now probably where they should realistically be.

In fairness to Bonser he kept Walsall solvent when similar clubs went to the wall... the majority of his 20 or so years were spent in the 2nd and third tiers which is significantly punching above their weight.

They completely imploded after Smith left tbf

Fair assessment.

Bonser did okay.

One half of the family are from Walsall (Karma) so I have an affinity but they are where they are for a reason.

The season when they were knocking on the door of the Championship playoffs was almost bizarre.

Watched them a few times when Merson was there - it was like a Prem footballer playing a park's game.

They had a real dad’s army that season with the likes of Vinny Samways and an ageing Bobby Martinez... think Matt Carbon was anchoring their defence too
(03-28-2021, 11:08 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 08:41 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 03:10 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 12:22 AM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 12:18 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Feel sorry for Walsall. Bonser was cnut of the highest order, fugged up Walsall for generations. Pomlett ain't much better by all accounts from what I gather from Walsall pals.

They never spend any money and have a stupidly low budget.

To be honest they've punched above their weight for some years and are now probably where they should realistically be.

In fairness to Bonser he kept Walsall solvent when similar clubs went to the wall... the majority of his 20 or so years were spent in the 2nd and third tiers which is significantly punching above their weight.

They completely imploded after Smith left tbf

Fair assessment.

Bonser did okay.

One half of the family are from Walsall (Karma) so I have an affinity but they are where they are for a reason.

The season when they were knocking on the door of the Championship playoffs was almost bizarre.

Watched them a few times when Merson was there - it was like a Prem footballer playing a park's game.

They had a real dad’s army that season with the likes of Vinny Samways and an ageing Bobby Martinez... think Matt Carbon was anchoring their defence too

He was.

The big lad at the back, Roper, was a decent player.
(03-28-2021, 01:40 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: I wouldn't want them to fall out of the league. A family member played for them and they were class, sening 2 club reps and bouquet for the funeral.

Okay, they haven't got a fantastic history but they have some relative high points like beating Arsenal in the Cup all those years ago and in the League Cup run in 1983-84. Gave the eventual European Champions that seaosn, Liverpool summat to think about as well.

Some of those 80s sides were good, as Peachy says. At 3rd Division level David Kelly was head and shoulders. He may have been my first football hero...

Though I can't pretend they didn't irritate the hell out of me in that 1999-ish season when they seemed to have a hoodoo over most of the other Mids clubs. And the 4-1. But I saw them beat Reading in the play-offs and cheered for them. Not like I would Albion, it was nowhere near the same. May 30 1993 is one of the greatest days of my life, wheras I was just pleased for Walsall, nowt more.

But no, I wouldn't like to see them go.

The only West Mids team I would be happy to go out the league is B6.

I went to that 84 semi at Anfield as I was at Uni there.  Pretty sure Ally Brown played for them that day ?    Only other thing I can remember is the greatest fans in the world booing their team off at half and full time due to the 2-2 result.
Always find it funny that Wolves talk about Walsall like it's a genuine derby game, compared to us who quite like them.
Does anyone remember the pre season game there some years ago ?

That day had to be the hottest day in England ever !
(03-30-2021, 01:12 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Always find it funny that Wolves talk about Walsall like it's a genuine derby game, compared to us who quite like them.

I always used to be the case than on the scoreboard above the Woodman that you'd have all the half-time scores from the division we were in plus Walsall.
(03-30-2021, 01:12 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Always find it funny that Wolves talk about Walsall like it's a genuine derby game, compared to us who quite like them.

Most Walsall fans hate Wolves, one of the reasons I don't mind Walsall.
(03-30-2021, 12:44 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 01:40 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: I wouldn't want them to fall out of the league. A family member played for them and they were class, sening 2 club reps and bouquet for the funeral.

Okay, they haven't got a fantastic history but they have some relative high points like beating Arsenal in the Cup all those years ago and in the League Cup run in 1983-84. Gave the eventual European Champions that seaosn, Liverpool summat to think about as well.

Some of those 80s sides were good, as Peachy says. At 3rd Division level David Kelly was head and shoulders. He may have been my first football hero...

Though I can't pretend they didn't irritate the hell out of me in that 1999-ish season when they seemed to have a hoodoo over most of the other Mids clubs. And the 4-1. But I saw them beat Reading in the play-offs and cheered for them. Not like I would Albion, it was nowhere near the same. May 30 1993 is one of the greatest days of my life, wheras I was just pleased for Walsall, nowt more.

But no, I wouldn't like to see them go.

The only West Mids team I would be happy to go out the league is B6.

I went to that 84 semi at Anfield as I was at Uni there.  Pretty sure Ally Brown played for them that day ?    Only other thing I can remember is the greatest fans in the world booing their team off at half and full time due to the 2-2 result.

Selective memories, Liverpool fans. From what I hear from older fans, the friendly and welcoming image was a bit of a myth in the 70s and 80s as well.

In a way, I am glad they didn't win that tie. I remember my dad saying we would have gone to Wembley with them if they got through and I might have ended up supporting them, and that would have been a worse existence that even this one. At least over the past 20 years we've had a fair few things to cheer!

I did like the old Fellows Park, though. Proper ground, unlike the lego version they have now.

I'd hate not to have a proper rival. They have rivalries with Vale and Shrewsbury and have tried to cultivate ones with Blues when they were in the 3rd tier under Baz Fry, and Wolves but neither is bothered.
Given Wolverhampton isn't in the Black Country  (however much they try and reinvent the boundaries) Albion v Walsall is the only true BC derby
(03-30-2021, 09:44 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Given Wolverhampton isn't in the Black Country  (however much they try and reinvent the boundaries) Albion v Walsall is the only true BC derby

Correct.

For any of the Brummies on here who are not up to scratch with their geography north of Smethwick, Wolverhampton is actually South Staff's and not the Black Country.